Thread: HRX Design A God Workshop Summary

Senior Member Chosen Spartan219's Avatar
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 747
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Conversation Starter 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class

HRX Design A God Workshop Summary

HirexAjax posted this on reddit, no i don't work for hirez but i thought i'd just drop it here

For those who could not attend HRX, I ran a panel where the SMITE design team created a god kit with input from the audience. I gave the audience some specific goals and structure, then ran around the room like a mad man, giving people a microphone to share their ideas for each category.

Pon and Clumzy gave feedback on the abilities, Tina and Ian gave feedback on the themes and lore connection.

The audience voted between 2 characters we had pre-selected to be interesting candidates, but not immediately likely to come to SMITE. Garuda and Epona. The Hindu King of Birds, or the Celtic Goddess of Horses.

Here was the rough format we followed

Decide on the god

Usually a much more complex process, we kept it a simple vote

Identify Key themes, or unique visual aspects from their lore

We need something to work with to keep the character accurate

Identify likely Class based on Key themes

Use SMITE standards to find a natural fit

Brainstorm Ultimate Abilities, Passive Abilities, and general play style

These drive the kit overall

Brainstorm Abilities

Tailor them toward the playstyle and the goal of the kit

Finalize the kit

Clean up, rule out tech or art issue abilities, be more specific

Yay we did it!

Keep in mind this is a fun 1 hour exercise, not an accurate representation of our process at the studio. We had to move very quickly to get through it and the crowd was awesome at this. We do a lot of these things in a similar way in a similar order, but not always the same and we spend much more time on it.

Also keep in mind that this is just the beginning. Kits almost always change during playtesting.

All in all it was a lot of fun, the kit turned out pretty well. These abilities are far from complete in their details, we just tried to get the general concepts across.

Here is what we came up with:

Decide on the god##

Garuda

Garuda is a legendary bird or bird-like creature in Hindu, Buddhist and Jain mythology.

Garuda is described as the king of birds and a kite-like figure. He is shown either in zoomorphic form (giant bird with partially open wings) or an anthropomorphic form (man with wings and some bird features). Garuda is generally a protector with power to swiftly go anywhere, ever watchful and an enemy of the serpent.
    Identify Key themes, or unique visual aspects from their lore##

Protector, Agility, Movement, Flight, Wings
    Identify likely Class based on Key themes##

Guardian - Support Role
    Brainstorm Playstyle and Abilities##

We did this in ultimate/passive/playstyle order then the rest, but i’ll list this in a normal kit order for readability.

General Playstyle

He should be a duo laner that encourages allies to be around him. He focuses on helping his allies movement and keeping them safe.

Passive - Favorable Winds

Aura

If an ally is near Garuda, he and the allied god gain increased movement speed. This movement speed buff is increased for each allied god in the area.

Ability 1 - Charged Feathers

Line

Garuda summons feathers of light around him when he activates this ability. He can activate the ability again to fire the feathers in a line in front of him, dealing damage to enemies. The longer he charges his feathers before refiring, the more damage he deals.

Ability 2 - Fearsome Gust

Point Blank Circle

Garuda flaps his wings and pushes all enemies away from him in all directions. Any enemies that collide with walls from this push become stunned.

Ability 3 - Rescue

Ranged Circle

Garuda dashes to a nearby allied god, shielding them upon arrival. The target gains a larger shield if they are at low hp%.

Ultimate - Dropship

Ranged Circle

Garuda roots himself in place and channels for 4s. While channeling, His camera view will move up to the sky and have a circle targeter, and an area will be highlighted around him. Any Allies in the highlighted area at the end of the channel will be teleported with Garuda to the targeted area.

Big thanks to everyone who attended and made these fun suggestions!
    I know what I have become... I am the inside of this world... I taste the gore, and I smell the crying... AND I WANT MORE! I want to bathe in your flesh, I want to savor your fear. I wanna live inside a castle built of your agony, AND I WANT TO CRUMBLE IT WITH AN AXE TO YOUR CAROTID ARTERY!

Senior Member Honoured VlentisFlyheightis's Avatar
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Full Profile!
    Huh, it's not terrible, at least it definitely wont be a flex pick.

Bringing up Epona means Rhiannon's off the table.... Although might be her recolor who knows. The sooner we get Epona the sooner we get a Four Horsemen skin series.
    Ares stole Aphrodite from Hephaestus
    Ares killed Poseidon's son for rape and was aquited for murder
    Ares is both the Father AND Grandfather of the Amazons. Feel free to "EWWW"
    Ares turned a guard that failed to anounce Helios into a rooster
    Ares supported Trojans. Ares has a ton of kids

The Mad Hatter Prestigious Relanah's Avatar
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    So... People basically created Amaterasu but with AoE Athena ult?

Uhh...

Okay...
    Preferred Gods:
    Aphrodite, Awilix, BAEllona, Da Ji, Discordia, Fenrir, Janus, Jing Bae, Nike, Nox, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

We need more kawaii skins!

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Relanah View Post
    So... People basically created Amaterasu but with AoE Athena ult?

Uhh...

Okay...
    No?

1 is a charge shot yes but it cones inward like cerberus spit
    2 is a point blank aoe anhur javelin throw
    3 is an ally only Da Ji leap that applies a shield to target (kind of like the old Shen ult from LoL but not jumping the whole map.
    Ult is just a Thor ult that Taxi's allies with no damage impact? Probably not worth leveling first, like Chronos.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by VlentisFlyheightis View Post
    No?
    He should be a duo laner that encourages allies to be around him. He focuses on helping his allies movement and keeping them safe.

Sort of like Amaterasu?

Passive - Favorable Winds

Aura

If an ally is near Garuda, he and the allied god gain increased movement speed. This movement speed buff is increased for each allied god in the area.
    Oh wow, a speed boost aura. Not like there's a Japanese Warrior goddess in the game who's often prioritized for her AoE speed boost aura.

Ability 1 - Charged Feathers

Line

Garuda summons feathers of light around him when he activates this ability. He can activate the ability again to fire the feathers in a line in front of him, dealing damage to enemies. The longer he charges his feathers before refiring, the more damage he deals.
    So he can charge up a damaging ability and then re-use it to shoot it for damage based on how much he charged it?

I've never at all heard of an ability that functions like that. Certainly not when playing Amaterasu. Not at all.

Ability 2 - Fearsome Gust

Point Blank Circle

Garuda flaps his wings and pushes all enemies away from him in all directions. Any enemies that collide with walls from this push become stunned.
    Okay, this skill has nothing to do with Amaterasu I'll give it that.

It is basically just Tail Whip with extra CC if he pushes into a wall though...
    Ability 3 - Rescue

Ranged Circle

Garuda dashes to a nearby allied god, shielding them upon arrival. The target gains a larger shield if they are at low hp%.
    Oh wow, a dash. That can be used to aid an allied god!

Never before have I seen such an ability!

Okay, sure, it can't be used offensively like Amaterasu's but it's a fairly similar ability when he also was given 2 other similar abilities from her kit.
    Preferred Gods:
    Aphrodite, Awilix, BAEllona, Da Ji, Discordia, Fenrir, Janus, Jing Bae, Nike, Nox, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

Achievements:
    The charge shot is more a mini Thoth ult, Amaterasu only charges damage while dealing/taking damage. it's not like tail whip as it's a fixed forward circle. My impression of the dash is it needs a target, so more like Da ji or Chaac warping to his axe.
    I see Amaterasu used more for her power boost, hence the nerf she got.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by VlentisFlyheightis View Post
    I see Amaterasu used more for her power boost, hence the nerf she got.
    Early game, it's her power boost that lets her Hunter win the boxing trade because it's literally a free item for them.

Mid-late game it's all about her speed.

Nerf was because early game power is too snowbally (Hence them nerfing Ne Zha's passive after they gave it power in lieu of crit).

Anyway as far as the god goes...

I know it was just a fun little activity to do at HRX to involve the people there, but it's not feeling like the most inspired of kits...

Just reading it, it really just does sound like stuff we already have. Sure, there are small differences, but not enough for me to think "Wow, this god is unique and fresh"

Heck, just spitballing, there could have been an ability sort of like a hybrid of Janus wall/He Bo carpet where he spawns a gale in an area and gods (Both friendly and enemy) moving in the same direction as the wind get additional speed while gods moving against it get reduced speed.

Or something similar to Falstad from HotS's "Persistent Gust" talent that makes his knockback ult trigger multiple times.

Y'know, something a little bit spicy.
    Preferred Gods:

Member Worshipper SmearyGore674's Avatar
    The first in flight good ol' North Carolina (Get over it Ohio)
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 828
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Third Class
    Do you even realize that if they put that in the game, he would be used quite a bit in the SPL, I believe. I mean imagine if a team was able to get like Rat, Janus, and this guy. I mean it would never happen, someone would be drafted, but even Janus and Garuda would be so OP in SPL. Thats 2 global ults where essentially the entire team can just cross the entire map in seconds. I can see this getting in the game. I would want this in the game, he sounds pretty cool tbh. The other one did too. Just a thought, about how op that would be.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, thats why they call it the present" -Master Oogway