Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: King arthur and merlin to be in a new pantheon

Senior Member Chosen Spartan219's Avatar
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 747
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Conversation Starter 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class

King arthur and merlin to be in a new pantheon

arthur and merlin are going to be in a new pantheon arthurian pantheon and not in celtic pantheon

https://www.dualshockers.com/smite-a...r-merlin-gods/
    I know what I have become... I am the inside of this world... I taste the gore, and I smell the crying... AND I WANT MORE! I want to bathe in your flesh, I want to savor your fear. I wanna live inside a castle built of your agony, AND I WANT TO CRUMBLE IT WITH AN AXE TO YOUR CAROTID ARTERY!

The Mad Hatter Prestigious Relanah's Avatar
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    'Aight.

I mean, they're not actually Celtic. They're just based on characters from Celtic mythology.

So, makes sense.

Also inb4 we have a pantheon for each Neith skin in the game
    Preferred Gods:
    Aphrodite, Awilix, BAEllona, Da Ji, Discordia, Fenrir, Janus, Jing Bae, Nike, Nox, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

We need more kawaii skins!

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Veteran 5000 Experience Points
    They'll be in Celtic

EDIT: Ok so... I just rushed to say "Celtic" before actually reading the article. I thought this thread was an inquiry.

Anyways, while I think the addition of Arthur & Merlin is awesome, putting them in their own pantheon would be somewhat dissapointing, especially since it wouldn't be a real pantheon and they could easily be taken for Celtic. Also, I don't think that "Arthurian" would have enough "gods" to constitute for its own pantheon. It's even more baffling when the characters themselves aren't real gods. More so, during the god lineup promo video, they only mentioned "new pantheon" once, implying that there'll be only one (which will probably be African). When Arthur & Merlin were brought up, nothing about a new pantheon was mentioned. So I hope the article is wrong.

Speaking of which, the whole article seems weird. The writer just rushed to proclaim that the upcoming characters will be part of their own pantheon, without citing a source. And the "interview" consisted of only one question. What's interesting though is, assuming that there won't be an Arthurian pantheon, that AJ didn't bother to correct the interview, either because he didn't care too much or there is in fact gonna be an Arthu... you know what... I don't want to say it.

Worst case scenario and it is gonna happen, I hope that in the future they realize how BS an "Arthurian" pantheon is and merge it together with Celtic.
    Last edited by Razrtongue; 11-20-2018 at 05:45 AM.
    My Concept Hub

I tried to come up with a clever proverb for this signature. Sadly, this is the best I could come up with - Anonymous Philosopher (circa 800 BC)

Senior Member Honoured VlentisFlyheightis's Avatar
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Full Profile!
    Hmm so i didn't hear wrong during the live show, then the pantheon name is Avalon. I wasn't sure if they were saying Avalon will "be" a pantheon or "join" the pantheon

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    Good, they're in this uncomfortable grey area where they have Celtic roots but were heavily Christianized later on. Without an Abrahamic panth to house them, this is a reasonable spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Razrtongue View Post
    Worst case scenario and it is gonna happen, I hope that in the future they realize how BS an "Arthurian" pantheon is and merge it together with Celtic.
    HR seems to be going on the version of the mythos that's more rooted in post-Galfridian (read: extremely Christianized) tradition, which means the Celtic influence is much more scant. Putting the aardvark and his court in the Celtic pantheon is like listing Aphrodite as a Mesopotamian god because she probably evolved from Ishtar. It makes no fucking sense.
    Last edited by SirKeksalot; 11-20-2018 at 09:31 AM.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Member Worshipper SmearyGore674's Avatar
    The first in flight good ol' North Carolina (Get over it Ohio)
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 828
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Third Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan219 View Post
    arthur and merlin are going to be in a new pantheon arthurian pantheon and not in celtic pantheon

https://www.dualshockers.com/smite-a...r-merlin-gods/
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, thats why they call it the present" -Master Oogway

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Veteran 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKeksalot View Post
    HR seems to be going on the version of the mythos that's more rooted in post-Galfridian (read: extremely Christianized) tradition, which means the Celtic influence is much more scant. Putting the aardvark and his court in the Celtic pantheon is like listing Aphrodite as a Mesopotamian god because she probably evolved from Ishtar. It makes no fucking sense.
    And that's coming from the guy who believes that Celtic should be split into 3 different pantheons.

You can find discrepancies in everything:
    Artio and Cernunnos are not part of the Tuatha de Tanann, so they shouldn't be in the Celtic pantheon.

||||
    Guan Yu actually existed as opposed to all the other characters so he's not eligible to be in the game.
    ||||
    SWK came out of a novel, not mythology.
    ||||
    "Thoth" is the Greek name for Djehuti, therefore an injustice to ibis-headed god.
    ||||
    Speaking of Thoth, he should have a baboon head, not that of an ibis.
    ||||
    Why is Apollo using a pair of pistols and not his golden bow. He's a hunter after all so was it so hard to do it?
    ||||
    Kuzenbo lived in a Chinese river, so shouldn't he be in the Chinese pantheon?
    ||||
    Awilix isn't really a moon goddess, is she?
    ||||
    Fafnir doesn't transform into a dragon at will. He was permanantly transformed into one due to a curse. Therefore, his depiction in the game is inaccurate.
    ||||
    "Polynesian" is not one mythology, but many. It comprises Hawaii, Samoa, Rapa Nui and other locations. Therefore, "Polynesian" is an inaccurate depiction in the game. Also, the word "Polynesian" comes from Greek, meaning "many islands". Therefore, it is an injustice to the region at whole because it uses a language to apply to an area that has no connection to said language.
    ||||
    the Roman pantheon is basically the same as the Greek. Therefore, it shouldn't be included.
    ||||
    Vulcan is using thermobarid missiles in a time where the toilet wasn't invented yet. So why isn't there a god with a frickin' rifle yet if anachronism isn't an issue?
    ||||
    The Slavs are basically second-rate Greeks.
    ||||
    Voodoo isn't a real pantheon because it's too modern. Also, it's too small to warrant its inclusion in the game and therefore should be part of the African pantheon.

I'm kinda exaggerating with all these examples. But the point is that everyone has their own perception of what is the ideal state that Smite could be in.

It doesn't need to be 100% accurate. More so, nobody cares that much about it. It's ok to stretch. Because if the devs didn't stretch, then probably half of the game wouldn't be possible. They took obscure gods such as Kuzenbo and Artio and made fully playable characters out of them. As long as the theme remains within the boundaries of its respective lore, then it's acceptable. It's not like any of these gods are carrying an RPG because their lore somewhat justifies them using one, because that just wouldn't make in sense.

But in the end, just have fun! It's just a game.
    Last edited by Razrtongue; 11-20-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    My Concept Hub

I tried to come up with a clever proverb for this signature. Sadly, this is the best I could come up with - Anonymous Philosopher (circa 800 BC)

Achievements:
    Full Profile! Conversation Starter 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Razrtongue View Post
    Speaking of Thoth, he should have a baboon head, not that of an ibis.
    that' what i was thinking as i've seen thoth on internet and in some other games idk why hirez made him a parrot
    I know what I have become... I am the inside of this world... I taste the gore, and I smell the crying... AND I WANT MORE! I want to bathe in your flesh, I want to savor your fear. I wanna live inside a castle built of your agony, AND I WANT TO CRUMBLE IT WITH AN AXE TO YOUR CAROTID ARTERY!

Senior Member Prestigious AlexNemesis's Avatar
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Achievements:
    Reputation Distributor Tagger Second Class Party Person 25000 Experience Points Veteran
    Waiting for Disney Pantheon. Lame ass Ajax and Pon.
    Vi, Goddess Of Wrecking

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexNemesis View Post
    Waiting for Disney Pantheon. Lame ass Ajax and Pon.
    ok this actually made me laugh lol
    tho it's still not confirmed if they are gonna be In arthurian pantheon so it's still too early to bash them