Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: King Arthur and Merlin as next gods?

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 616
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Also, read 'La Morte D'Arthur' or even 'The Once and Future King' by TH White to discover:
    • Morgana / Morgan Le Fay
      Mordred
      Galahad
      Sir Gawaine of Orkney (The Green Knight)

Just a smattering of heroes that could really be interesting to see developed.
    M3mphisMiles

We named the dog P0eP0e ...

Top Gods: Ares, Nemesis, Kuzenpwn
    ~~~

Senior Member Honoured VlentisFlyheightis's Avatar
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisMiles View Post
    Also, read 'La Morte D'Arthur' or even 'The Once and Future King' by TH White to discover:
    • Morgana / Morgan Le Fay
      Mordred
      Galahad
      Sir Gawaine of Orkney (The Green Knight)

Just a smattering of heroes that could really be interesting to see developed.
    Morgan Le Fay is the only one i can see getting in before Lancelot, but there really shouldn't be any more before 2020. Mordred is only gonna ever get a slot cuz he's the only one who'd work in the Assassin slot. Tristan would probably get in before Galahad and Gawain because of his Archery association. But again, i'm fine with just these 2 till season 7, and we shouldn't have a full Arthurian roster before god 130+
    Ares stole Aphrodite from Hephaestus
    Ares killed Poseidon's son for rape and was aquited for murder
    Ares is both the Father AND Grandfather of the Amazons. Feel free to "EWWW"
    Ares turned a guard that failed to anounce Helios into a rooster
    Ares supported Trojans. Ares has a ton of kids

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by RockerBaby View Post
    Yeah I see no difference at all between modern movies with super robots and legends such as those about Arthur, Odysseus and the likes /end sarcasm. In your perspective Arthur might be closer to Optimus Prime but from where I'm coming Arthur surely is more similar to other legendary entities like Scylla, Odysseus etc then he is Optimus Prime.
    Except he doesn't figure into religious canon. If we had an Abrahamic pantheon, he could be fudged into that in the same way Kuzenbo is linked to the religion followed by the culture that believed in him; but HR has no balls.

Merlin doesn't sing and play Lyre, he is a magician and shapeshifter - classic druid, though I think Herbal medicin rings the most of classic druid (yeah not D&D druid)
    I didn't say he was a bard, I said he was based on a bard in Welsh poetry. Also, druids were explicitly religious officials in Celtic polytheism; by the time Merlin was thrown into the Matter of Britain, the mythology had been Christianized and he lost any chance of being a druid because that would be H E R E S Y

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisMiles View Post
    Sir Gawaine of Orkney (The Green Knight)[/list]
    You mean to tell me that guy had a name???
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Achievements:
    I wanna cite Pwyll Pen Annwn, of Dyfed, again as to how they're fudging them into celts, specifically the Culhwch ac Olwen. Pwyll holds connections both to fairies and other mythical creatures, while also having a place in Arthur's court per the above mentioned tale. Pwyll literally had a kid with Rhiannon, a Welsh goddess of Horses.

Sources of the Grail: An anthology, notes Coire Sois, the Cauldron of Knowledge from Irish lore, as a possible grail influence. Guess who else has a connection here: Pwyll.

Senior Member Honoured Diamondrainn's Avatar
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 552
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Full Profile! Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexNemesis View Post
    Well, Celtics needs an assassin, Physical assassin.
    Indeed they do. We also need to fill the genres of Voodoo, Polynesian, and Slavic as well. No worries girl, I can see you playing Arthur and Merlin and be OP af LOL. Esp. that comment you posted that Merlin has 3 stances with a total of 9 abilities. Happy multitasking lol.

Wonder what his stances will be:

1. Damage stance probably elemental
    2. Healing stances omg that would be op and will play him if he does LOL
    3. Buffs

Then again they might be all just damage stances. Will have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Diamondrainn; 11-19-2018 at 09:57 PM.
    Diva Aphro, "Gurl bye!"
    That means Bye Biach!

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Except he doesn't figure into religious canon. If we had an Abrahamic pantheon, he could be fudged into that in the same way Kuzenbo is linked to the religion followed by the culture that believed in him; but HR has no balls.
    Folklore and mythos in greek culture and others are closely connected. Scylla isn't a God but it is part of the mythos and stories.

I didn't say he was a bard, I said he was based on a bard in Welsh poetry. Also, druids were explicitly religious officials in Celtic polytheism; by the time Merlin was thrown into the Matter of Britain, the mythology had been Christianized and he lost any chance of being a druid because that would be H E R E S Y
    Ok I get what you are saying. He is to christian/late to be considered celtic? I can accept that argument, especially when it comes to Arthur. Merlin while having many Biblical prophetic qualities still have some Celtic/pagan qualities. This bard he is based on does he not count as part of the celtic mythos?

We could also consider Arthur as part of Roman pantheon hehe.

Girlfriend didn't like the concept at all. But I think we need way more warriors in smite so I welcome Arthur. Mages we have so much of but Merlin concept seems cool anyway, though invoker in dota 2 has been top meta forever for a reason so it also worries me a bit.
    Last edited by RockerBaby; 11-19-2018 at 11:01 PM.
    Rocking the boat

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondrainn View Post
    ...We also need to fill the genres of Voodoo, Polynesian, and Slavic as well.
    No we don't. At their launch Ajax said they will remain small, they intend to just pepper in representation from newer pantheons, Shinto and Celtic are the last newer pantheons going past 5 characters anytime soon.

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by RockerBaby View Post
    Folklore and mythos in greek culture and others are closely connected. Scylla isn't a God but it is part of the mythos and stories.
    But that folklore happens to be intertwined with Greek religion. Scylla is the way she is (in most versions) because of Poseidon's actions.

Ok I get what you are saying. He is to christian/late to be considered celtic? I can accept that argument, especially when it comes to Arthur. Merlin while having many Biblical prophetic qualities still have some Celtic/pagan qualities. This bard he is based on does he not count as part of the celtic mythos?
    Merlin's apparently Celtic traits were later reconciled by making his father an incubus, thus giving him superpowers. The Church is partly responsible for this; magic's a sin (even though God gets magic, which is triple gay tbh), so the Church didn't want popular literature having a major character be a wizard. Authors were thus pressured to either take out the wizardry or make Merlin's magic not a product of any deliberate heresy by the character. The end product, the Merlin we're familiar with, is a character that, just as with every other Arthurian figure, represents Christian ideas and customs, and therefore has lost most of the Celtic attributes he once had.

It's also worth noting that Merlin usually has a rather shitty end. In some versions, he--like his precursor, Myrddin--goes mad after having a vision of war, but the more common version today has Vivien lock him up inside a tree because of reasons.

We could also consider Arthur as part of Roman pantheon hehe.
    That requires a looooot more fudging than dubbing him Celtic. I think I know what you're referring to, but it's still a massive stretch.

Girlfriend didn't like the concept at all.
    Wait, which concept? You've mentioned a few in this thread.
    Last edited by SirKeksalot; 11-20-2018 at 09:25 AM.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Achievements:
    Roman Artorias would just generate the controversy of picking a general over a greco-roman hero that's at least 1/4th god. Although THAT version would squarely make Merlin a druid.

Truth be told though we honestly need more Greek warriors before any other class, the pantheon with the highest hero count and war god count and most of them are guardians. If i see another Greek mage before at least one more of each other class i'm going to construct a catapult, load it into a truck, drive to their HQ and fling 2400 eggs at their studio.

Edit: I will freaking take Hector before another mage and i can name 20 gods and heroes more deserving than Hector
    Last edited by VlentisFlyheightis; 11-20-2018 at 01:59 AM.

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKeksalot View Post

Wait, which concept? You've mentioned a few in this thread.
    Arthur and Merlin, shes like "they aren't Gods, what about; *mentioned x number of various Gods that aren't in smite*.

Whatever is added next I', just hoping we get more warriors and maybe a few new hunters. Smites mage pool is not lacking at the moment.
    Last edited by RockerBaby; 11-21-2018 at 07:36 PM.
    Rocking the boat