Thread: The current VGS system is inherently toxic

New Member Cupidhead TwelfthRanger's Avatar
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points

The current VGS system is inherently toxic

Hey all!

I've been playing Smite since Season 2. When I first started I was awful and I actually quit playing because I couldn't get a hang of the mechanics. At the time, I had stopped playing League of Legends because of how incredibly toxic the community was and how little was being done not just in punishments but also incentives to reward players for good behavior. For a brief time, I invested my time in Infinite Crisis before it was unfortunately shut down, so, with nowhere else to go, I decided to give Smite a second chance.

I have come a long way, both in my "career" in Smite and my attitude towards other players. While I myself am not toxic, I will freely admit that I will get salty but I will always do my best to not take it out on my team. I try to instead offer advice and show compassion because maybe the other players are new; maybe they are trying to find another game to enjoy like I was.

One thing that I particularly love/hate is the VGS system. On the whole, I would say it is an incredibly useful tool to communicate to those on your team who may not be on Curse/Discord/Teamspeak. Coming from League, this feature was a godsend because all you had to do was enter, at max, a four digit keystroke and you communicated in a few seconds what would have taken a bit longer in other games. I also came to appreciate it more because it also deepened the character of the god that you were playing as, something that was sorely lacking in other games.

Where I start to truly despise this system is when it is abused. I cannot begin to tell you all how many games I have had where someone misses an ability and one player spams their laugh emote, or even worse, has a macro of it. Or spams their taunt every time they kill another player. This is just on the enemy team. On your team, you have people who will spam "You Rock" when you make a mistake, or who spam their laugh/taunt emote when an enemy player dies or misses an ult. It is an incredibly tilting experience and I am now at the point where I automatically mute every player on the enemy team and I truly believe that no one should have to do that.

So what are some solutions? Maybe having the flood protection kick in sooner. There are certain gods that are just extreme ear rape (Ra laugh, Khumba Rhino roar, etc.) and having a more restricted VGS could reduce in how often other players can spam. I would think that 5 entries is a healthy amount. In just about any game I have been in, players have rarely used it legitimately any more than 4 times. Be careful, Enemy Missing, Enemy Ultimate Incoming, Be Careful. More than enough, I would think. Another solution would be to "trim the fat" in a sense and cut out the unnecessary emotes (laugh, taunt, I'm the greatest, that's too bad, you rock, etc.) because they are seldom being used for the benefit of others. I know that people are going to say this pussifies smite (Lo-Rez) or say "Why don't you just mute them" and I sincerely believe that I shouldn't have to. Muting people does not fix the problem and I believe that this community deserves a solution and I believe that cutting out excess emotes or, at the very least, reducing the amount of times a player can laugh spam or "you rock" spam would be leaps and bounds in reducing toxicity in this game. What do you all think? What are some ideas that you may have had? Let me know!

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Full Profile!
    Yes and no. While vgs like "you rock" and "nice job" will always have the potential to be abused by being used sarcastically, they are also nice to have to congratulate teammates who have indeed done a good job. However I would be perfectly fine with seeing "I'm the greatest!" and the laugh emote removed as they really serve no purpose other than boasting or taunting, which should be discouraged. I also think a lower flood cap would be nice, you're right that you shouldn't have to be doing call outs 5 times in a row unless literally none of your team mates are.
    Last edited by Chiagirl; 11-01-2018 at 11:22 PM.
    I'm a NA mid main on PC looking for a team for conquest or ranked joust. My player level is 108; I have 58 gods mastered with 17 at rank V or higher and 3 diamonds (Anubis, Scylla, and Sol). I play mostly nights and weekends CST time; message me if interested. No trash talkers please.

Senior Member Chosen GameVeteranAzure's Avatar
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points
    they were, are and will be abused always and forever

"You rock."

"You rock."

"You rock."

"Cancel that."
    Yeah...Right...Sure...And I'm The King of England!
    If it works in your favor, don't question it.
    Sacrifices had to be made.
    He who knows nothing, doubts nothing.
    Xbox GT: AlchemistAzure
    Smite IGN: MordridtheBlack

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 460
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Full Profile!
    We read post where players feel all players are toxic. Now you got people crying that the VGS is toxic. As with most posts you see here that people complain about toxic people in the game, THERE IS A BUTTON CALLED MUTE! Use it! And ffs stop self-victimizing yourself for something that can be avoided like a VGS system! Now granted if they use it constantly in game, then you can report them, but come on for VGS system to get on your nerves? You really need to toughen up or use the mute button.

Last edited by Diamondrainn; 10-30-2018 at 11:32 PM.
    Diva Aphro, "Gurl bye!"
    That means Bye Biach!

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 705
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    There will always be potential for abuse with any kind of communication between players.

That's just people in a nutshell, they love to be asses to each other.

I mean, it only takes 2 VGS commands to "You Rock!" "Cancel that" or "Good Game!" "Cancel that"

As far as tilting goes... Part of it can be strategic. Putting your opponent on tilt gives you an advantage (Especially if you're a tank. Like Herc taunting/laughing is infuriating and makes you want to focus him, but he's a Herc, he WANTS you to focus him)

VGS is just one of those things you have to learn to put up with. Keep your mind on the game and less about what emotes the other players are doing.

If people are spamming super hard, then you can report them, since VGS spamming is a reportable offence (Though, I tend to only do it when people are CONSTANTLY spamming VVA VVVG VR VA and other such stuff that really doesn't need to be spammed 5x every time you use it...)
    Preferred Gods:
    Aphrodite, Awilix, BAEllona, Da Ji, Discordia, Fenrir, Janus, Jing Bae, Nike, Nox, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

We need more kawaii skins!

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 772
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Inherently? No, except Isis vampire skin and maybe a few others.

As with all things it is how you use it, doesn't mean its inherently so.

(Especially if you're a tank. Like Herc taunting/laughing is infuriating and makes you want to focus him, but he's a Herc, he WANTS you to focus him)
    Some skins have such god VELs it is a shame not to use them. I love that herc skin that has "come on you can do better then that" and "you do realize, you are going to loose", the laugh is also perfect. And the best when you kill another herc "of course I am the real Hercules".
    Last edited by RockerBaby; 11-01-2018 at 07:39 PM.
    Rocking the boat

Super Moderator Godlike RainbowSplat's Avatar
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 3,038
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    People will find anything as toxic like today in my Clash match i was playing Ravin skin and used his special emote wich is a theme music what everyone can hear and one of the enemy team whispered me and said "turn off that shit theme music" so i just ignored it and after match i got report notification for harrasment not like reports like this do anything its just people find anything as toxic
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 1,565
    Achievements:
    Veteran Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Party Person Discussion Ender
    The solution is using the mute button, like it has been for the last five something years if people's skin are really that thin that a few repeated sayings really trigger them that badly.

Also tilting and annoying the enemy is fair game, its psychological warfare. You miss a Scylla ult? That sucks. They start spamming Laugh/Taunt at you for it? And you get tilted and start playing worse? Then their attempt at petty shit that can easily be muted worked.
    Last edited by Goobis; 11-01-2018 at 10:34 PM.
    Your Local Resident Trash Doggo
    I'm cheating on Anubis, Camazotz is in the dumpster now.