Thread: Suggestions to improve matchmaking and waiting

Junior Member Cupidhead Dterror's Avatar
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 250 Experience Points

Suggestions to improve matchmaking and waiting

1. Since multi queuing no longer exists, if you don't get matched after waiting in line you are flagged as high priority for the next match...but ONLY if you remain in your current queue. Change it so that you are flagged as high priority no matter WHAT queue you join. Waiting on a joust is not much of an issue, but waiting 4 minutes or longer for some match modes is.

2. If someone fails to make a selection or otherwise causes your lobby to fail AFTER you have made it to a match, you are kicked back to normal match priority meaning you might fail to get into the next match you join the queue for. Flag everyone who had locked in a god as high priority just as if they had not been matched.

3. Currently if you cause a lobby to fail, you are locked out of joining any match for 20 minutes or so. Change it to a length based on how many people you wasted the time of...5 minutes per person. Joust? You're locked out for 25 minutes. Assault/Clash/Conquest? You've just wasted 9 people's time with your poor connection or bad attitude (I refuse to select a god because player x over there chose my favorite! waaah!) then you get locked out for 45 minutes.

4. Not having been the recipient of lockouts such as mentioned in #3 above, I don't know if they get paused while you are logged out. If they are NOT paused while logged out, meaning the player can just quit Smite for 30 minutes and return to no lockout, then change it so that they must suffer the entire lockout while logged in and Smite is in the forefront. Pause it while logged out, minimized, etc. Make the lockout an actual deterrent.

5. Add a new option to queue with that will limit players to those gods they are not intimately familiar with. By this, I mean add an option for Max Mastery 1, 5, and X. If you select max mastery I, it will still queue you as normal but lock out all gods any player in the lobby has with mastery II or higher. This should help even out the game for newer players who haven't had time to learn which god they favor but who regularly get matched to experienced players who know everything there is about their preferred god...the experienced player will be forced to play a god they rarely, or never, play, giving the newer player a chance. I admit to being just as guilty of this as many players, preferring to use my double diamond over any other god most of the time.

6. This is going to tee off a lot of players, but is still very much needed. BAN all smurf accounts. 1 account per player.

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Full Profile!
    1 & 2: Would be nice; I approve.

3 & 4. I might be wrong, but I believe the first offense is a half hour, followed by successively longer "time out" periods if it reoccurs before you've gotten your good will restored. I think this is fine as is. I don't know if it pauses when they log out or not either, but if not I agree that it should.

5. I can guarantee they will never put this in the game. Not be because it's not a neat idea, but because there simply isn't enough incentive for them to. I personally wouldn't care one way or the other if they added it or not; I've seen plenty of rank Xs that are garbage and rank Is that are amazing (though likely smurfs).

6. Everyone agrees, but the problem is that it's extremely hard to do for a F2P game. If you do 1 accout per IP adress, not only do you lock out siblings/roommates and screw with people that move, but people will just use proxies to get around it anyway. You could make smite pay to play by charging everyone $30 and giving them the godpack as that would discourage smurfs by forcing them to cough out money for each alt, but rich people would still do it anyway and pay to play will make the playerbase go down significantly. I've heard of other mobas that require a mobile phone number verification to activate an account there, but not everyone has those and I know I wouldn't have wanted to sign up for a game that required my phone number as it makes it seem scammy. If you have a better solution for this I'm all ears.
    I'm a NA mid main on PC looking for a team for conquest or ranked joust. My player level is 108; I have 58 gods mastered with 17 at rank V or higher and 3 diamonds (Anubis, Scylla, and Sol). I play mostly nights and weekends CST time; message me if interested. No trash talkers please.

Achievements:
    Re. #6, Hi Rez is already starting to take steps in that direction with requiring all Smite accounts be bound to a Steam account eventually. If the standalone launcher is disabled as well at that point, one would have to make mulitple Steam accounts as well as Smite accounts in order to smurf...so perhaps Hi Rez is already working on implementing #6.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dterror View Post
    Re. #6, Hi Rez is already starting to take steps in that direction with requiring all Smite accounts be bound to a Steam account eventually. If the standalone launcher is disabled as well at that point, one would have to make mulitple Steam accounts as well as Smite accounts in order to smurf...so perhaps Hi Rez is already working on implementing #6.
    Steam accounts are free (just like email addresses) so it doesn't really solve anything. If people were willing to make multiple smite accounts, do you really think having to make multiple steam accounts is going to stop them? People could always just download the game from hi-rez's site to bypass steam entirely anyway. https://www.smitegame.com/download (And I find it highly unlikely they disable their own launcher, as steam gets a cut of any smite items bought through theirs like the godpack. Hi-Rez makes more money if you get things through them directly; steam just draws in more players so they get at least a little extra revenue in.)
    Last edited by Chiagirl; 10-31-2018 at 12:30 PM.
    I'm a NA mid main on PC looking for a team for conquest or ranked joust. My player level is 108; I have 58 gods mastered with 17 at rank V or higher and 3 diamonds (Anubis, Scylla, and Sol). I play mostly nights and weekends CST time; message me if interested. No trash talkers please.

Senior Member Chosen GameVeteranAzure's Avatar
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points
    Hi-Rez actually isn't that big on the whole "make as much money as we can" band wagon

otherwise they would take the suggestions that have been made numerous times, to put skins that can't be acquired by any means anymore, in specialty chests that are available once a year.

I know a chunk of people on Xbox that would gladly fork out $10-$20 for the Archon Thanatos skin, even if there was but a chance to get it
    Yeah...Right...Sure...And I'm The King of England!
    If it works in your favor, don't question it.
    Sacrifices had to be made.
    He who knows nothing, doubts nothing.
    Xbox GT: AlchemistAzure
    Smite IGN: MordridtheBlack

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by GameVeteranAzure View Post
    Hi-Rez actually isn't that big on the whole "make as much money as we can" band wagon

otherwise they would take the suggestions that have been made numerous times, to put skins that can't be acquired by any means anymore, in specialty chests that are available once a year.

I know a chunk of people on Xbox that would gladly fork out $10-$20 for the Archon Thanatos skin, even if there was but a chance to get it
    They might not be reintroducing skins from previous times, but they are still grossly overpricing stuff so you can't say they aren't on the whole make as much money as they can band wagon. Just look at Dragon Doggo, for example. You're forced to buy $100 USD worth of garbage you will likely never use to get that skin if you want it. They don't need to introduce old stuff, they just bring out new stuff.

Considering that Hi Rez will be requiring every account to be Steam linked at some point (read the update notes regarding Steam linking) tells me that the standalone will be going away eventually. You can still download it for NOW, yes...but eventually it will cease to function. The hassle of creating a new steam account, then creating a new smite account, then linking them together might not stop all punks who create smurf accounts, but it should cut down the number running around.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dterror View Post
    Considering that Hi Rez will be requiring every account to be Steam linked at some point (read the update notes regarding Steam linking) tells me that the standalone will be going away eventually. You can still download it for NOW, yes...but eventually it will cease to function. The hassle of creating a new steam account, then creating a new smite account, then linking them together might not stop all punks who create smurf accounts, but it should cut down the number running around.
    I did read it, and what you're saying is completely false. Read the FAQ at the bottom.

https://www.smitegame.com/news/steam...ng-details-faq

STEAM LINKING FAQ
    I don’t play SMITE through Steam. Do I have to do anything?

Nope! Players that use the SMITE stand alone launcher do not need to link their Steam and Hi-Rez accounts.

I have multiple Hi-Rez accounts. How do I use them while playing through Steam?

You will need to link your other Hi-Rez accounts to new Steam accounts to continue using them through Steam. Alternatively, players can download the stand alone SMITE launcher to log into secondary accounts.

While you will be required to link your account if you continue use steam to play, those not using steam or who do not wish to link their account can still play using the launcher from Hi-Rez's site, and nowhere have I seen any statements saying that they plan to discontinue it. Like I stated earlier, discontinuing it would be stupid as not only do they lose out on more money (by not having to pay a percentage of sales to steam) but they would also be at steam's mercy as if steam ever goes down then so does smite. Unless you can provide something from Hi-Rez stating they are planning to discontinue their launcher, please stop spreading false information.