Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: how good are these build for nox

Senior Member Chosen Spartan219's Avatar
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 276
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Conversation Starter 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class
    Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan17 View Post
    Here, help you all out.

https://www.smitefire.com/smite/guid...ed-black-20637

That's a guide posted by Tlaloc (another member) with build contribution and ability write-up from me. This is still viable (last updated September 26th), and has more in-depth discussion on ability use as well.

I have standard mid build, support build, and non-conquest (or teamfight mode without stacking) build.

As an aside, one mid build (titled "Anti-Tank") does have both Spear of the Magus AND Obsidian Shard...this was at the request of another member, as that combo has been seen even in SPL.

Yes, there is a good amount of inefficiency there (flat protection reduction reduces the effectiveness of % pen), but if you're facing a very tanky combo, but still want good function against squishies, it actually allows for both.

This is similar in ways to when hunters build both The Executioner and Titan's Bane...and that combo has been seen a TON. I personally dislike the idea of inefficiencies like that...but it's out there. It's at least an option, and shouldn't be "never." Always leave your options open, as long as you understand how the mechanics work.
    thanks will try it out

Quote Originally Posted by Goobis View Post
    Realistically, Shard/Magus together is only worth it if the enemy has a ridiculous amount of magical protections, like around 230+. Magus nerfs your own Shard passive making the % ignore of it weaker. If you want Shard badly, just go Desolation or Divine instead of Magus, or vice versa, just not Magus/Shard together.
    yeah i read in pen guide was discussing about it with my friend to not use them together but he said it's fine to use and will give more dmg
    I know what I have become... I am the inside of this world... I taste the gore, and I smell the crying... AND I WANT MORE! I want to bathe in your flesh, I want to savor your fear. I wanna live inside a castle built of your agony, AND I WANT TO CRUMBLE IT WITH AN AXE TO YOUR CAROTID ARTERY!

Guide Senior Cupidhead MuffinMan17's Avatar
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 802
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan219 View Post
    yeah i read in pen guide was discussing about it with my friend to not use them together but he said it's fine to use and will give more dmg
    This is an accurate statement, but limited in scope.

The biggest thing to think about when committing to both Magus AND Obsidian (and which is actually the biggest reason I don't like to build both) is that they are both completely damage-oriented...and with Obsidian, completely directed at tanks. It offers almost nothing against squishies (at level 20, most squishies will have around 48 magical protection without outside influence...that's like 7-8 pen equivalence, which is weaker than all items that have flat pen).

Other items can enhance damage, but have other utility, such as lifesteal, movement speed, CDR, protections, flat pen (helpful against objectives as well), etc.

And with regard to Nox, I've never considered her a main damage dealer...her biggest strength is her CC.

Anyway, I've also written an items guide with a pen/protection reduction chapter. If you're interested in reading, it's here: http://www.smitefire.com/smite/guide...-choices-14522

Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 640
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    It depends on your targets and the like.

Spear gives a bunch more damage against squishies.

Obs gives a bunch more damage against tanks.

With both vs a Tank, you limit the effectiveness of Obs Shard due to its scaling coefficient combined with you reducing the targets protections.

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan17 View Post
    Anyway, I've also written an items guide with a pen/protection reduction chapter. If you're interested in reading, it's here: http://www.smitefire.com/smite/guide...-choices-14522
    I notice there's an error in the calculations in the penetration section.

Your equation with Void Shield is off, since you're using Obsidian Shard giving its full 45% protection ignore despite the target being at 180 protections rather than the 200 required for the item to cap out. It would actually only be giving 41.25% protection ignore at that value (A total reduction of 74.25 rather than 81)

Given the equations for Obs Shard and Titan's Bane:

Obs Shard: (((Prots-40)/160)*30)+15 = Percentage Protection Ignore
    Titan's Bane: (((Prots-65)/135)*25)+15 = Percentage Protection Ignore

As a side note, I find it interesting that despite physical protections being innately higher due to base phys prots being ~2x higher after scaling, it's actually Obsidian Shard that has the higher maximum penetration at 45% with 200 prots vs Titan's Bane's 40% with 200 prots.

Feels kind of backwards. Especially when I recall that in game I tend to struggle to hit 200 mag prots (Usually get stuck in the 160-190ish area) while I often easily get 220+ phys without even trying to pick up the higher prot items...
    Preferred Gods:
    Aphrodite, Awilix, BAEllona, Da Ji, Discordia, Fenrir, Janus, Jing Bae, Nike, Nox, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

We need more kawaii skins!

Senior Member Chosen Spartan219's Avatar
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 276
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Conversation Starter 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class
    so is it better to use both against tanks that have high defense like 150 or more?
    while i know obsidian pen works on the target's current protections and it's pen is counter after spear of magus but together against tankier targets should be super good still i think
    maybe not against bruiser guardians
    I know what I have become... I am the inside of this world... I taste the gore, and I smell the crying... AND I WANT MORE! I want to bathe in your flesh, I want to savor your fear. I wanna live inside a castle built of your agony, AND I WANT TO CRUMBLE IT WITH AN AXE TO YOUR CAROTID ARTERY!

Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 640
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    so is it better to use both against tanks that have high defense like 150 or more?
    while i know obsidian pen works on the target's current protections and it's pen is counter after spear of magus but together against tankier targets should be super good still i think
    maybe not against bruiser guardians
    It's hard to say. Since there are a lot of factors that go into the discussion of "Is it better to use X or Y?"

Since, yes, you will get more penetration against high protection targets with Obs + Magus. But you have to factor in the alternate choices, which have more power (So if you have a high scaling mage it throws into question as to how far the power goes vs the penetration), or more utility (Such as if you go Desolation or something without pen like Iso)

In addition, what god you're using (Like, do they get innate penetration like Thoth/Scylla? Can they just CC chain a tank and not worry about dealing slightly less damage for not having as much pen?)

I think the answer may just lie in how things feel in game. Like, don't plan on getting both, just plan on picking at least one of them up. Then if, in a game you find you're lacking damage against the frontlines because they're stacking prots out the ass, then consider picking the other up to help punch through those tanks who are specifically counterbuilding you.
    Preferred Gods:
    Aphrodite, Awilix, BAEllona, Da Ji, Discordia, Fenrir, Janus, Jing Bae, Nike, Nox, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

We need more kawaii skins!