Thread: Do you follow meta?

Senior Member Chosen Spartan219's Avatar
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Conversation Starter 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class

Do you follow meta?

do you follow meta or go with your personal fvt gods for me i prefer playing gods which are more fun to play or which i personally enjoy playing or the ones i like for different reasons could be that i like the god in mythology so i like playing them in the game (which was the main reason why i ever decided to play smite in the first place) but i often get messages from teammates telling me to not play that god or play that specific god just cuz it's in "meta" which i ofc ignores and play what i like anyways i don't care about "meta" "tier list" or what "pro players" are playing
    so what do you guys do?
    I know what I have become... I am the inside of this world... I taste the gore, and I smell the crying... AND I WANT MORE! I want to bathe in your flesh, I want to savor your fear. I wanna live inside a castle built of your agony, AND I WANT TO CRUMBLE IT WITH AN AXE TO YOUR CAROTID ARTERY!

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 681
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    I don't play Conquest, so there is no meta (Also, where "Meta" picks can often be less impactful. For example, Chernobog is shit in Arena because his ult is useless there)

However, if I DID play Conquest, then I'd probably just play my favourite gods, because I know that part of the "Meta" is just what the pros like to play themselves, as opposed to being purely down to power.

Also, another part of "Meta" revolves around competitive play, which has voice coms and co-ordination, which can affect the power of some picks (Chernobog, Athena and Janus are all far better when teammates can communicate easily when using a global ult)

Sure some picks are quite strong and fairly forgiving to play *Cough*Freya, Baron, Mercury*Cough* but there's something to be said for playing something you're comfortable with giving an advantage enough to at least put the pick on par with them. As evidenced by Loki having a not zero win rate despite being the literal worst god in the game.
    Preferred Gods:
    Aphrodite, Awilix, BAEllona, Da Ji, Discordia, Fenrir, Janus, Jing Bae, Nike, Nox, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

We need more kawaii skins!

Super Moderator Godlike RainbowSplat's Avatar
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 3,038
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    I just play with what am good with
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 1,357
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    The meta is what's popular, and what's popular isn't what's necessarily true. Loki has a higher pick rate than Susano'o by roughly 9% even though the latter is by far the superior god. There is never a stronger pick you can make than your best god unless they're hopelessly countered by the enemy team.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Full Profile!
    I play what I'm good at, and I build what works for me. I had a clash game where I built Sol using every item from the ring tree and completely destroyed people; but I'm certain that a build like that would absolutely get wrecked at higher levels of play. But I'm in scrub levels, so cheesing people definitely works.
    I'm a NA mid main on PC looking for a team for conquest or ranked joust. My player level is 108; I have 58 gods mastered with 17 at rank V or higher and 3 diamonds (Anubis, Scylla, and Sol). I play mostly nights and weekends CST time; message me if interested. No trash talkers please.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 1,549
    Achievements:
    Veteran Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Party Person Discussion Ender
    I take meta with a grain of salt. And if its something that I flat out hate (healer metas/tank metas) I just don't play it. I tend to play my favorite characters more often, that said, I won't play stupid shit like Anubis support or Cupid jungle just because i'm not well experienced with Assassins in the jungle. So yes I would say I do follow the meta, but not to the point where my god pool only consists of the top preforming SPL gods.
    Your Local Resident Trash Doggo
    I'm cheating on Anubis, Camazotz is in the dumpster now.

Senior Member Chosen Spartan219's Avatar
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Conversation Starter 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKeksalot View Post
    The meta is what's popular, and what's popular isn't what's necessarily true. Loki has a higher pick rate than Susano'o by roughly 9% even though the latter is by far the superior god. There is never a stronger pick you can make than your best god unless they're hopelessly countered by the enemy team.
    Quote Originally Posted by RainbowSplat View Post
    I just play with what am good with
    Quote Originally Posted by Goobis View Post
    I take meta with a grain of salt. And if its something that I flat out hate (healer metas/tank metas) I just don't play it. I tend to play my favorite characters more often, that said, I won't play stupid shit like Anubis support or Cupid jungle just because i'm not well experienced with Assassins in the jungle. So yes I would say I do follow the meta, but not to the point where my god pool only consists of the top preforming SPL gods.
    DO you do this with ranked as well? or just casual i've heard people get salty in ranked for not picking meta gods
    and yeah i don't play stupid crap like that either tho i've tried chang'e aphro and hel support, chang'e i didn't like as support as her dmg is not very good and with support items its even less same for heals
    I know what I have become... I am the inside of this world... I taste the gore, and I smell the crying... AND I WANT MORE! I want to bathe in your flesh, I want to savor your fear. I wanna live inside a castle built of your agony, AND I WANT TO CRUMBLE IT WITH AN AXE TO YOUR CAROTID ARTERY!

Super Moderator Godlike RainbowSplat's Avatar
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 3,038
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan219 View Post
    DO you do this with ranked as well? or just casual i've heard people get salty in ranked for not picking meta gods
    and yeah i don't play stupid crap like that either tho i've tried chang'e aphro and hel support, chang'e i didn't like as support as her dmg is not very good and with support items its even less same for heals
    Yeah i do that in Ranked aswell cuz comfort picks>meta picks for me
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*