Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: 'Arena Mains' are a thing. Why isn't 'Ranked Arena?'

Member Worshipper
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    playing arena ranked is like to drink and pretend you're not drunk , it ends in the toilet bowl.

they are all already raging about matchmaking and trolls and this and that .. and my honey pops have not enuf sugar etc ... and you want to add ranked arena ?

the 2 previous posts are giving 2 good explanations , i will give you a 3rd = "no escape team" , hell yeah "no escape" , when i am forced to play arena and i have to win i just have to say "no escape team" and we win 999.99‰ (i let a 0.001% just in case ^^ nothing is absolute ^^)

"no escape team" = ares/hades/poseidon/cupid/odin or equivalent ,)
    [img][/img]

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 460
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaveana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by S1itz View Post
    This is good suggestion, even for normal arena. What I would add is to make fountain re-enterable only via Recall (so it can't be entered in combat) to prevent camping.
    I don't see that stopping camping but it would add a very interesting dynamic to the game mode.
    What I meant is camping your own fountain not the enemy fountain. Leaving for 5 seconds, getting poked, healing back then leaving again, it's most annoying part of this game mode imo.

Senior Member Honoured Diamondrainn's Avatar
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Full Profile! Veteran
    I say bring back ranked arena but rework arena to have pitfalls, monsters, objectives, etc.
    Diva Aphro, "Gurl bye!"
    That means Bye Biach!

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    I admit that I skipped 2 pages in the middle that seemed like it was just arguing points from the first 4 pages, so if this has already been suggested I apologize in advance.

That being said, wouldn't the easiest solution for a ranked arena be... you know simple?

Like, no exp gain or gold in fountain or fountain towers reach, with an added all abilities disabled inside the fountain itself.
    And as an added precaution make the fountain a bit wider, so no abilities can reach an incoming minion wave from inside the towers.
    Now in order to get exp and gold you have to be outside the fountain and your towers reach, cross that line and it stops instantly.
    It would still be possible to camp and turtle to some extend, but in order to gain anything you would have to be exposed.

The Mad Hatter Prestigious Relanah's Avatar
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Armaroz View Post
    That being said, wouldn't the easiest solution for a ranked arena be... you know simple?
    Not as such.

Since, all you're doing is moving the potential turtling spot from in the fountain, to 1 ft in front of the fountain (Within easy reach to leap over to wall back in)

THAT SAID, while it is technically possible to stay in the fountain and kill the minions as they're about to enter your portal, generally, in a turtle style you'd be within range to clear minions in the middle of the map.

Somewhere around where I drew the boxes on this image:

Since, if both teams are turtling in the fountain... Then the minions will simply meet in the middle and kill each other and no-one will get tickets >.>

Meanwhile, with my aforementioned suggestion of adding in a new objective, I'd probably design the map more like this:

Flipping the wall on Blue and Purple buffs (Mayhaps changing the colour of purple... Since, why do we have 2 purple buffs? One in Conq giving prot shred and this one in Arena giving attack speed...) to give space for the 2 new FG replacement spawn locations.

For added strategery I also though about turning those pillars into additional walls. Giving locations to wait to gank people as they go and check FG spawns/buffs or to create some initiation scenarios where a team fakes going FG then pounces from behind a wall. Of course, good teams will use wards, but then we have the good old Sentry Ward battles to get vision control.

Though that part is unnecessary, I just wanted to think about it while I was messing around in paint...
    Preferred Gods:
    Aphrodite, Awilix, BAEllona, Da Ji, Discordia, Fenrir, Janus, Jing Bae, Nike, Nox, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

We need more kawaii skins!

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Some1Guy's Avatar
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 250 Experience Points
    Well gold fury and buffs is part of what i think is not appealing to arena players, then its just more jungling.
    Maybe that would work maybe just spawn it dead center or spawn different bosses there.

but...

I think if the jug spawns for just one team at a time and its hard to kill and worth more, that team is going to try to push it.

They would be stupid not to because they would lose. If its got enough hp it will cause a fight.

It's absolutely ridiculous to think a full team is going to get a lead and then hide inside there own base.
    While a high point value Juggernaut just gets pushed in by the other team trying to get the lead back.
    I mean ya sure they could if they wanted to lose that lead they just got.

The problem is that the jug is a sissy not on a timer and worthless.

Tweeking the values for the arena juggernauts and there spawn times is hardly redesigning the map.

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Conversation Starter Veteran 10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Relanah View Post
    Not as such.

Since, all you're doing is moving the potential turtling spot from in the fountain, to 1 ft in front of the fountain (Within easy reach to leap over to wall back in)

THAT SAID, while it is technically possible to stay in the fountain and kill the minions as they're about to enter your portal, generally, in a turtle style you'd be within range to clear minions in the middle of the map.

Somewhere around where I drew the boxes on this image:

Since, if both teams are turtling in the fountain... Then the minions will simply meet in the middle and kill each other and no-one will get tickets >.>

Meanwhile, with my aforementioned suggestion of adding in a new objective, I'd probably design the map more like this:

Flipping the wall on Blue and Purple buffs (Mayhaps changing the colour of purple... Since, why do we have 2 purple buffs? One in Conq giving prot shred and this one in Arena giving attack speed...) to give space for the 2 new FG replacement spawn locations.

For added strategery I also though about turning those pillars into additional walls. Giving locations to wait to gank people as they go and check FG spawns/buffs or to create some initiation scenarios where a team fakes going FG then pounces from behind a wall. Of course, good teams will use wards, but then we have the good old Sentry Ward battles to get vision control.

Though that part is unnecessary, I just wanted to think about it while I was messing around in paint...
    I like this idea a lot. I kind of don't even want you to increase the total map size and get a small lane joust like effect.

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 386
    I’m new to this forum but have been playing Smite off and on for a few years now. I have approx 30 gods to mastery level 1 or higher. I’ve played all the game modes and enjoy Arena the most. This is because its pvp and very little objective based. Also, you can work closely as a team. It can feel like your not part of the team when you’re left defending a tower all by your lonesome in CQ. I’m not dogging the other play types, just expressing how much I like Arena. I’m level 67 or so and 99% of that is on Arena play. I would like to start playing competitively but ranked Arena is not an option. So I’d have to give up Arena, learn a new game mode and I’m not sure I would enjoy that. So that’s why I am interested in ranked Arena. I have read most of the other posts in this thread and believe the reports that it was a turtle fest. Especially when top ranked teams are involved because they have learned not to take risks. I’ve played matches where both teams were coordinated and we couldn’t get kills for a good half of the game. I didn’t see anyone hanging out in the fountains though, so it was fun. Reading the proposed solutions, I was actually surprised no one mentioned a solution I actually thought was already a game mechanic. Currently, and I think this was the case with ranked Arena as well, if a god kills a minion anywhere on the map, the ticket is worth the same amount of tickets(1). The solution (if we mean giving strong incentive for the whole team to be present in a mid-map stand-off) is to make minion kills worth more tickets if the minions are killed on the opponents half of the arena. This would allow Arena to stay virtually the same and cure camping on your side of the map. The opposing teams would be in a constant clash to push towards the other’s base, forcing them out of their shell. HR could even make minion kills not worth any tickets unless they were killed on the enemies side. Also, god kill tickets could be increased to give further incentive to get god kills.
    Even if one of the teams has a LR mage, he is forced out and a Loki could sneak behind and capitalize. Also, that means the LR mage is far behind his team who are pushing forward, or they are back with him allowing the advancing team to quickly clear minions on their side. Because this would force both teams together in a mid struggle, there is bound to be more interaction whether that be pushing the team back or capitalizing on them using up their abilities. Just my 2 cents.

Senior Member Honoured Diamondrainn's Avatar
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Full Profile! Veteran
    So you brought up an old post that we already hashed out? At this point, I don't care or mind if they did bring back Ranked Arena, but I would prefer the arena to have some pitfalls (like the arena we had on our adventures where they lots of pitfalls), and maybe traps, or just something to add a variety in arena because ranked arena would sound boring w/o any obstacles or objectives.
    Diva Aphro, "Gurl bye!"
    That means Bye Biach!

Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 381
    If any of you were around to watch the Arena tournament they hosted a few years ago you will see why they removed ranked arena, it was the most boring thing I have ever watched in my life. And that's exactly how all ranked games were played in arena.