Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Arena Mains' are a thing. Why isn't 'Ranked Arena?'

Senior Member Chosen RandomToon's Avatar
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class Veteran
    As was mentioned - it was a turtle fest.
    Since gold and XP spool is so high, you didn't really get much more from actually fighting.
    Rush in and get first kill if you are lucky and then stay in fountain.
    Get gods that can clear from fountain and others that can maybe pull people into the fountain and just wait.
    The only time you ever left fountain was if you had leaps and beads to get you out of CC.
    Games took 30+ minutes every time and had only 1-3 kills.
    Remember The Manticore

Senior Member Honoured Diamondrainn's Avatar
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Full Profile! Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Relanah View Post
    In order for Ranked Arena to exist and be actually any fun, they'd need to completely redesign the entire mode.
    Oh I definitely agree with that because Arena doesn't have any objectives other than killing minions, getting buffs, and killing your enemy. It would be fun to have pits, monsters, damage areas, etc. like that arena we had with adventures. Just something that makes it more challenging and different.

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowSplat View Post
    There was Ranked Arena already and it failed miserably mostly cuz everyone were just killing minions and never fighting and when there was left couple points there was one team fight and thats it
    Darn it I wasn't around when there was ranked arena but that's ashame it failed. I think if they redid arena to have more objectives I think it will be fun.
    Diva Aphro, "Gurl bye!"
    That means Bye Biach!

The Mad Hatter Prestigious Relanah's Avatar
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondrainn View Post
    Darn it I wasn't around when there was ranked arena but that's ashame it failed. I think if they redid arena to have more objectives I think it will be fun.
    Well, the core design of having kills give tickets means that defensive play will always be the optimal strategy for winning and so the go-to meta for a Ranked Arena.

Since, unlike other modes, you're punished for initiating because if you don't go at least 1 for 1 trade then you're actively losing the game. Other modes you can sacrifice a death or 2 and still make it out ahead because you got an objective.

This is further compounded by the minions giving tickets, helping games not last literal hours of turtling, but also making defensive play and simple wave clear focus an even better strategy.

In order to make a Ranked Arena not be a huge turtle fest, they'd have to somehow make it so that you're not incentivised to turtle at all and that would require way too big an overhaul to really be viable (Especially since there's no guarantee that this new Arena would be well received)
    Preferred Gods:
    Aphrodite, Awilix, BAEllona, Da Ji, Discordia, Fenrir, Janus, Jing Bae, Nike, Nox, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

We need more kawaii skins!

Senior Member Honoured Wildstreak's Avatar
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 639
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Tagger Second Class 1 year registered
    Just because Arena has the highest playerbase does not mean it is the most fun.

There are various personalities in it that prove why Ranked Arena would be bad.

Maybe 1 v 1 Arena might work but not teams where Solos get mixed with Premades.

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 2,671
    Achievements:
    Veteran Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Party Person Discussion Ender
    Ranked Arena Meta-

• Pick a bunch of teamfight and lategame gods.
    • Ban gamebreaking ultimate gods.
    • Get a 20-30 point lead.
    • Play passive and only clear waves.
    • Purchase multiple Sprints/Magis/Shells/Phantoms and run from every fight.
    • Attack when enemy team is down to 10 tickets.

Extra credit if you were to draft Aphrodite, Hel, or Geb.
    Your Local Resident Trash Doggo
    I'm cheating on Anubis, Camazotz is in the dumpster now.

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    It would not require a big overhaul. I love how everyone wants to ignore the fact that minions don't have to affect points. They should've never allowed minions to affect points in the first place. It's the easiest solution, it's right in front of you, and it wouldn't negatively impact anything about the game mode. If the match takes too long, they can reduce the points you start with.

This is something I've wanted for casual arena. Casual arena often has all the same problems as Ranked did. It's frustrating that the solution is so simple and they've just ignored the problem because who gives a shit about one of the most popular game modes right.

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 616
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKeksalot View Post
    It wasn't trolls, it was basically the fact that playing defense would give you the advantage in a game mode comprised of nothing but teamfights. The guy who makes the first move is taking the biggest risk, particularly with optimized comps in place.
    No my statement is that NOW arena is ruined mostly by people who come in, troll and ignore the match to the point of ridiculousness, and then say 'eh it's arena, who cares?' Those are the epeen trolls I was talking about.
    M3mphisMiles

We named the dog P0eP0e ...

Top Gods: Ares, Nemesis, Kuzenpwn
    ~~~

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitniss View Post
    It would not require a big overhaul. I love how everyone wants to ignore the fact that minions don't have to affect points. They should've never allowed minions to affect points in the first place. It's the easiest solution, it's right in front of you, and it wouldn't negatively impact anything about the game mode. If the match takes too long, they can reduce the points you start with.

This is something I've wanted for casual arena. Casual arena often has all the same problems as Ranked did. It's frustrating that the solution is so simple and they've just ignored the problem because who gives a shit about one of the most popular game modes right.
    That doesn't solve the problem. People still won't want to teamfight. The fact that the mode is fucky in casual as well as its now-removed ranked scene should indicate that it's totally unsalvageable. It's hopeless. It's a mode that's designed to be casual.

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisMiles View Post
    No my statement is that NOW arena is ruined mostly by people who come in, troll and ignore the match to the point of ridiculousness, and then say 'eh it's arena, who cares?' Those are the epeen trolls I was talking about.
    Ah, I misunderstood.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKeksalot View Post
    That doesn't solve the problem. People still won't want to teamfight. The fact that the mode is fucky in casual as well as its now-removed ranked scene should indicate that it's totally unsalvageable. It's hopeless.
    "People still won't want to" You do realize that they will no longer have a choice right?

The Mad Hatter Prestigious Relanah's Avatar
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitniss View Post
    "People still won't want to" You do realize that they will no longer have a choice right?
    You still haven't addressed the fact that playing defensive is still the superior choice.

Meaning, 2 hour long games while both teams turtle and wait for the enemy to engage...

Now, without minions to even entice some sort of action out of people (Also, god picks), you've just further pushed the mode into AFK simulator.

Since, if it's Ranked, people will do whatever it takes to win.

Even if it means playing boring and turtling up in a mode that's supposed to be entertaining because constant 5v5 teamfighting.
    Preferred Gods:
    Aphrodite, Awilix, BAEllona, Da Ji, Discordia, Fenrir, Janus, Jing Bae, Nike, Nox, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

We need more kawaii skins!