Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Arena Mains' are a thing. Why isn't 'Ranked Arena?'

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 789
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered

'Arena Mains' are a thing. Why isn't 'Ranked Arena?'

I know these topics have plenty of fans and detractors for all sides. My point of this post is to potentially keep that conversation going and who knows, maybe enough folks who think like I do will want the experiment to happen, and will push for this dialogue over time on forums.

So 'Arena Mains' are things. People have 'em. Some like the teamfight aspect of SMITE and the variety of Gods enough to leverage that skill set to compete in quick(ish) queues and despite the unbalanced play (since Gods are balanced around other modes), GOOD players in a somewhat balanced comp can remain highly competitive through to the end of the match.

Period. Those are facts.

Now, creating Ranked Arena needs to assume a few things, notably that:

1. God balance outside of the mode, and skill adapting to that balance (whether it's a positive or negative balance effect) is part of being good at Ranked
    2. Trolls will be penalized, people should take it somewhat serious. If you want to truly screw around (I mean throw a match, not experiment with a new approach), you should go to unranked. Sames as other modes (to some extent, not including CQ where people still expect everyone to be top notch).
    3. Queue times might be weird - not sure what the appeal would be but, what's the harm in experimenting?

Post over. Not rocket science.
    C'mon Hi-Rez. People dig Arena but it's getting shat on by epeens that think you can be ranked and screw around in Arena and your crappy performance is funny to everyone, cause ur so good at other modes.

Show us your good at competitive Arena!

PS - I don't care that the game is balanced around CQ. There are enough Arena mains who mix up their build and God picks to make it very interesting.
    M3mphisMiles

We named the dog P0eP0e ...

Top Gods: Ares, Nemesis, Kuzenpwn
    ~~~

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,735
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 1 year registered 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    1. They tried this and it only served to divide queues. It didn't go over well, and that's why they removed it.

2. Arena is designed to be casual by nature. When it was ranked, it was basically just a turtlefest; and if it gets a ranked mode again, the turtling shall return with a vengeance.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Full Profile!
    Oh god Ranked Arena? I'm open to it if it allowed groups to que, if it doesn't, then not interested.
    Diva Aphro, "Gurl bye!"
    That means Bye Biach!

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 789
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKeksalot View Post
    When it was ranked, it was basically just a turtlefest; and if it gets a ranked mode again, the turtling shall return with a vengeance.
    Hadn't thought of the turtle aspect ... teams just slogging to win despite the awfully weak experience of that match overall.

Pissed that Arena is ruined by epeens that troll.
    M3mphisMiles

We named the dog P0eP0e ...

Top Gods: Ares, Nemesis, Kuzenpwn
    ~~~

Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 1 year registered 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisMiles View Post
    Hadn't thought of the turtle aspect ... teams just slogging to win despite the awfully weak experience of that match overall.

Pissed that Arena is ruined by epeens that troll.
    It wasn't trolls, it was basically the fact that playing defense would give you the advantage in a game mode comprised of nothing but teamfights. The guy who makes the first move is taking the biggest risk, particularly with optimized comps in place.

Muh Concepts

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    In order for Ranked Arena to exist and be actually any fun, they'd need to completely redesign the entire mode.

Since, ironically, the most effective way to win at Arena, is to sit in the fountain and have a long ranged mage insta-clear waves for 90% of the game. As that allows you to take most of the tickets you need, without putting anyone at risk of being killed and thus losing tickets.

Which is the complete opposite to what appeals to the people who main the mode, which is the constant 5v5 teamfighting.

So yeah, much like Assault, Arena is destined to be just a casual mode.
    Preferred Gods:
    Aphrodite, Awilix, BAEllona, Da Ji, Hel, Janus, Jing Wei, Nike, Nox, Serqet, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

We need more kawaii skins!

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Some1Guy's Avatar
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 250 Experience Points
    It's not a turtle fest its more like a chess game.

There in lies the problem the way it is supposed to be played is the way i like to play it.
    You say its boring to play it right but i say its boring and frustrating to watch it played wrong.
    You cant ever get a arena game that is played right by both teams atm ever.
    The mm seems hell bent on putting funners in matches with people who play right.

Between both the mm and the... "no it's meant to be played wrong. for fun crowd"
    These noble defenders of idiocy and supporters of playing right is toxic.

Say no ranked arena.

but these same people.

Will scream hell and high water though when these guys come to their ranked mode and not know how to team fight because... Now it is serious.
    Can you say double standard how about hypocrite how about ,,, darrr i shot myself in the foot.

Sooo now you get this situation were after hundreds of games players were forced to learn to team fight "for fun" with "bads" with a learn to shut up and like it report system. They are supposed to know how to play right ? When they pop into your mode just like that ?

What you guys fail to get is some people always try to play right or try to get better.
    Some people never do or even want to.

Forcing both these types of people into the same team and then into the same matches as the only option, is a recipe for generating a toxic ass community.
    Exactly like you have here in smite.

Expecting good players not to get mad at poor ones for ruining a match is idiocy.
    Expecting fun bad players to be happy when they get yelled at for feeding or goofing is idiocy.
    This expectation of a everyone better be happy here non toxic and not play wrong is ridiculous, it is like expecting water to run upstream.

Everyone is going to be unhappy because they have no option to be grouped with similar players. Feeders don't care if others feed when they are all feeders. Good players don't have to complain about feeders if they aren't forced to play with them.

The way it is now you need a report button for both types ...
    [he yelled at me for goofing off and not caring if i lose the match]
    and one for
    [he is feeding goofing off and doesn't care if he loses the match].
    Just like you have here in smite.

Your dream of social justice and mr rogers neighborhood here in smite.
    Is akin to a tyrant proclaiming justice peace and love. It's a joke.
    Last edited by Some1Guy; 10-03-2018 at 02:16 AM.

Senior Member Chosen BakaCircle9's Avatar
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 377
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran
    omfg, can you ppl [ Mod Removed] about ranked arena allready? this mode made to be casual, because it can only be fun when it casual. ranked arena would be super antifun. not to mention a fact, that balance doesn't exist on arena.
    Last edited by RainbowSplat; 10-03-2018 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Removed expletives
    TOP 3 most stupid things i've ever see in this forum:
    she can do 1000 dmg at level 3 by just her 2-and passive
    her 3 should be more like medusa moving backwards movement penalty reduced only by 50%
    Her ult now is her 2 but with lower damage but same cooldown!
    my YouTube channel

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Some1Guy View Post
    It's not a turtle fest its more like a chess game.
    History proves you wrong. People would just turtle in ranked Arena when it existed. That's bad and it's why Joust had to be reworked.

Muh Concepts

Super Moderator Godlike RainbowSplat's Avatar
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 3,290
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    There was Ranked Arena already and it failed miserably mostly cuz everyone were just killing minions and never fighting and when there was left couple points there was one team fight and thats it
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*