Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3- mage arena comps - why so frequent now?

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 789
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered

3- mage arena comps - why so frequent now?

It's like since the last patch there's been this consistency of 3-mage locks on a team. It's ruining the team fight balance (what little there was). I understand 2 hunters or 2 mages. Even 2 sins but 3 mages is frequently leaving 2 front liners or worse 1, with little backup besides squishies feeding a Loki or Ne Zha.

Anyone else experiencing this and finding it aggravating?
    M3mphisMiles

We named the dog P0eP0e ...

Top Gods: Ares, Nemesis, Kuzenpwn
    ~~~

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Yeh I see it a lot too. I main Chang’e and get stuck in those teams, simply because I’m sick of being the one to be forced to pick a warrior or guardian because no one else did so I insta lock Chang’e and of course it makes no difference to anyone else, like 70% of the time, just stuck in a team of 5squishies.

Love seeing the other team with 3 mages and it’s great seeing so many Anubis, Baron Samedi and Zeus they are all sitting ducks, easily targetable unless they are decent and have frontline protection.

Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    Mages are always popular.

It's literally the role with the most gods and the most variety between gods (Not like Hunters where they're pretty much all just "Hold LMB, Win Game")

Generally, it's not so bad so long as they're not all immobile super squish mages and the frontliner isn't also a Guardian (4 Mag is a not good comp...), but it can cause some issues with scaling since you won't have both an Assassin for early/mid game dominance AND a Hunter to win the late game unless you forgo a frontliner (Which can work, but is less reliable)

Especially if someone is running one of those "Off-class" Mages, it can be perfectly okay. Stuff like the "Assassins" of He Bo, Ao Kuang, The Morrigan, the "Warriors" of Hades, Zhonger Donger, the "Hunters" of Chronos, Freya, Sol... So long as they get their role and are played to the role (So no building full damage on Hades and trying to tank stuff...) which means no picking of physical versions of the role (Except for Warrior... You can't have too many Warrior types...)

Honestly, 2 Hunter and 2 Assassin comps tend to fair worse in my experience. The only exceptions is when its something like a Thanatos, Ne Zha or Mercury who goes absolutely tits and ends the game at like 34/0/2 or something stupid.
    Preferred Gods:
    Aphrodite, Awilix, BAEllona, Da Ji, Hel, Janus, Jing Wei, Nike, Nox, Serqet, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

We need more kawaii skins!

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 789
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Relanah View Post
    Especially if someone is running one of those "Off-class" Mages, it can be perfectly okay. Stuff like the "Assassins" of He Bo, Ao Kuang, The Morrigan, the "Warriors" of Hades, Zhonger Donger, the "Hunters" of Chronos, Freya, Sol... So long as they get their role and are played to the role (So no building full damage on Hades and trying to tank stuff...) which means no picking of physical versions of the role (Except for Warrior... You can't have too many Warrior types...)
    Sadly it's folks with no idea how to stay in role and counter balanced teams with their mage. It's so bad lately.
    M3mphisMiles

We named the dog P0eP0e ...

Top Gods: Ares, Nemesis, Kuzenpwn
    ~~~

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Full Profile!
    Well it's because they probably don't want to tank, but I been in many 3 mages groups and still win. It really depends on who you are playing against. Also, what I do when there are multiple mages is I support/mage to try to help out, but tbh the probability of having more mages = defeat LOL.
    Diva Aphro, "Gurl bye!"
    That means Bye Biach!

Guide Senior Cupidhead MuffinMan17's Avatar
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class Veteran
    As others have said, it's a lack of wanting to tank, diversity of the mage class, not paying attention/not understanding/not caring about team balance.

This setup CAN work with a Warrior (as main tank) and a hunter (for general DPS). However, for proper balance, you really will want a mage that often functions as a bruiser, or a non-typical support with heavy CC...someone like Nox (CC), or Zhong Kui / Hades (bruisers that build prots).

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Some1Guy's Avatar
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Achievements:
    31 days registered 250 Experience Points
    Pushing power.

It works best if your mages are competent in that they are willing to clear minions.
    If the other team doesn't have good clearing.
    Or the other team are of the mage type of... "i dont do minions" ect...

A standard team has 1 mage this is no where near as realiable as having 3 for clearing minons or as safe.
    All to common in arena is 2 mages on a team and both ignore minions and don't shoot them.
    So 3 mages gives a immediatly clear probability increase in exactly one thing.

Obviously in this situation you can win via minion pushing.
    Since typically anyone of the mages can clear the other 2 are free to essentially push and this means a series of continuous rolling abilitys with the minions as a screen or screening the minions.

It may not seem like its a real advantage but if you watch closely in these situations.
    If the other team doesn't have good clear they will get center pushed, even if they are trying to flank.
    As the game goes on a hunter doesn't get his shots blocked by minons and typically gets kills he may otherwise not have which can get him a lead as well turning him into a earlier threat.
    That alone can win a arena match if the hunter maxes early and he has a good build.

Even without the above there are other advantages to reliable fast clear with 3 mages.

The tanks job can simply be to guard.
    (have you ever seen a tank kill minions in arena ? I can tell you its not because he needs stacks)
    If there is no assassin he actually has a extra man center to boost firepower early on and later on so the push is doubly real.
    So if he is simply aware and not overly into diving i.e. he is even semi competent. he can alternate between poke and guard which just off balances the enemy team further he has a minion blocking and mage damage screen.

Essentially if the enemy team doesn't have a very good minion clear. Or say they have a morrigan or nox and or some other combo especially cc reliant, were its just one mage thats not so good at clearing minions.
    Then...
    Whoever does so deffensively is always at great risk of getting hit by mage aoes and abilitys when trying to do so.
    Or when his team is offensive, that person is not engaged with the enemy while he is forced to clear minions, leaving the numerical odds in the other teams favor.

You can actually win with more deaths by minion push in this sort of scenario.

Though i think most of the time its just 3 mages cause its.... "i wanna be a mage".

But if so i don't protest because in my view in arena if it ends up 3 mages and a hunter + warrior or even a guardian and im the sole hunter it's fine with me cause i will push those minions as well as hard as i can.
    Too boot i obviously go full damage hunter so being the only phys is fine with me.
    If i have to go tank ill play a warrior like a guardian and build it that way to boot.
    Here comes nike.

3 mages can be problematic however with a assassin come end game. As well a hunter is a better pusher and this is the primary advantage that can be exploited with 3 mages... pushing power.

Were this fails hard is if you have 3 mages and they want to run off down the side of the map or play solo basically then your advantage is reversed.
    Last edited by Some1Guy; 09-17-2018 at 10:40 AM.

Senior Member Honoured Wildstreak's Avatar
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Tagger Second Class 1 year registered
    Reason 1 - Number of players (not just in Arena) who got tired of playing actual tanks (Warriors / Guardians) expecting noon-tanks to do the damage and kill only for that to not happen. I have come across Smite players on various social media who say they will never tank again because they do not trust others to bring the damage / get kills.

Reason 2 - SPL made tank mages interesting this year. You can find Solo and Support Tier lists with certain mages rated well due to performance in those 2 roles.

Been planning to get another mage soon, I have and can use 4 of the 8 possible tank mages just fine, out of the remaining 4
    2 I seem no good with
    1 I refuse to touch
    Last one I am actually experimenting with more of an actual Support build.

Senior Member Chosen Spartan219's Avatar
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,088
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Conversation Starter 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class
    maybe it's not a team comp they are looking but just picking up something mages are easier to play than other classess and also have more fun kit than others
    and also cuz they dont want to pick a warrior or guardian
    I know what I have become... I am the inside of this world... I taste the gore, and I smell the crying... AND I WANT MORE! I want to bathe in your flesh, I want to savor your fear. I wanna live inside a castle built of your agony, AND I WANT TO CRUMBLE IT WITH AN AXE TO YOUR CAROTID ARTERY!

Senior Member Honoured Wildstreak's Avatar
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Tagger Second Class 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan219 View Post
    maybe it's not a team comp they are looking but just picking up something mages are easier to play than other classess and also have more fun kit than others
    and also cuz they dont want to pick a warrior or guardian
    Yeah there are a number of players who refuse to tank for reasons.

What is more dangerous to comps are those 'mains' and players who go with an all damage comp because they do not know or care about comps, I just had one of those this morning and refuse to play Smite the rest of the day because of it.