Thread: Mages with alt roles to ability damage

Senior Member Honoured Wildstreak's Avatar
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Tagger Second Class 1 year registered

Question Mages with alt roles to ability damage

So I need to get a Mage. Given I play outside Conquest a lot and people love their Mages that you can get teams with 2+ on them, I find having those with alt roles to a plain damage Mage helpful in being flexible to team play.

I already have 8 mainly for doing damage, 1 being a healer and 1-2 can also ADC.

I have 2 others that I can use in a Support type role, Hel and Nox and 1 Jungler, Ao.

Of the ones I am considering I narrowed choices to Ah Puch, Morrigan, maybe Aphrodite. I know the first and third have been tried tanky, I could see where Morrigan could do the same. Ah Puch got buffed in the past few patches and from Jungle testing looks to be all about his combos while Aphrodite got nerfed.

How good are these 3?

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    Ah Puch is pretty niche, he's still pretty much purely about doing infinity damage with his skills and that's about it. Sure he has a buff to his ult to give anti-heal, but the rest of his kit is damage (Even his 3rd skill is "Anti-heal" by the way of doing a bunch of damage if a target is healed)

The Morrigan is great for multi-role. Since she can jungle quite well and performs ganks. Her ult allows her to do pretty much anything temporarily. She can become a frontline by picking a tank, she can become an ADC by picking a Hunter, she can become a burst mage by picking a more traditional mage, she can become an actual assassin etc.

Aphro is by her nature a more support mage. Since it's hard to confirm her damage other than Back Off, she will often not get high player damage (Even if you build super damaging with 600+ power and a bunch of pen).

But she has options with her builds. She can go for more power and offensive items such like Gem of Iso for more slow, Ethereal Staff for that health reduction, Pythag's for AoE power boost, Soul Gem for more heal and burst damage (It will stack off her 3 every time you cast and her 1 when you hit allies)

Or she can go more defensive and build more tanky and then access a variety of team boosting defensive items such as Stone of Binding, Shogun's Kusari, Lotus Crown, Talisman of Energy, Heartward, Sovereignty etc...

Also, if you're looking for multi-role Mages, I'd also look into the following:

Hades - He's part Guardian part Mage. With a lot of CC and generally wants to build tanky so he can sit on the frontlines.

Zhonger Donger - A "Warrior Mage" he builds kind of tanky and then just walks at the enemy team as they all die around him because of his ult.

Chang'e - She can build for being a damaging mage, build a really hard to kill frontliner, or be a support.
    Preferred Gods:
    Aphrodite, Awilix, BAEllona, Da Ji, Discordia, Fenrir, Janus, Jing Bae, Nike, Nox, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

We need more kawaii skins!

Senior Member Chosen BakaCircle9's Avatar
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,088
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran
    if it would be S3 right now, i would add Sol in this list, but... nvm.
    TOP 3 most stupid things i've ever see in this forum:
    she can do 1000 dmg at level 3 by just her 2-and passive
    her 3 should be more like medusa moving backwards movement penalty reduced only by 50%
    Her ult now is her 2 but with lower damage but same cooldown!
    my YouTube channel

Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Tagger Second Class 1 year registered
    Well currently I have gotten good with half the potential Mage Tanks.
    Baron
    Hel
    Nox
    Zhong

Tried Aphrodite and Chang'e, not done well with either over 3-4 matches.
    I refuse to touch Ah Puch because I am unsure about him.
    Was going to skip the last one also but decided to see if Hades could work. Potential even as a Support type but something is off, I really do not like the cooldowns out of sync between the 1-2 and 3..

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 625
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildstreak View Post
    Well currently I have gotten good with half the potential Mage Tanks.
    Baron
    Hel
    Nox
    Zhong

Tried Aphrodite and Chang'e, not done well with either over 3-4 matches.
    I refuse to touch Ah Puch because I am unsure about him.
    Was going to skip the last one also but decided to see if Hades could work. Potential even as a Support type but something is off, I really do not like the cooldowns out of sync between the 1-2 and 3..
    I don't get how you play hades as anything but a tank tbh, anything with hard hitting abilities or stationary dots just rip. Like kukulkan, how do you play vs a kuku as a non tank hades?? I pick him as a support mage only when I do pick him in arena. Someone said Hades support doesn't work in lobby, I got like 30 assists... yeah. Sure you can mix it up with bancroft, chronos or smth but how do you no just die unless you are tanky hades?

Puch works excellent as hybrid. Make sure to get gem, spear of magus and regrowth and you are set for some nastiness.
    Rocking the boat

Senior Member Honoured breakmyfutoffinu's Avatar
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RockerBaby View Post
    I don't get how you play hades as anything but a tank tbh, anything with hard hitting abilities or stationary dots just rip. Like kukulkan, how do you play vs a kuku as a non tank hades?? I pick him as a support mage only when I do pick him in arena. Someone said Hades support doesn't work in lobby, I got like 30 assists... yeah. Sure you can mix it up with bancroft, chronos or smth but how do you no just die unless you are tanky hades?

Puch works excellent as hybrid. Make sure to get gem, spear of magus and regrowth and you are set for some nastiness.
    idk I build full dmg hades n melt ppl its all about the life steal and doing more dmg faster then they do. I do find myself needing upgraded thorns tho late game and choosing when to engage I'd important. in case anyone doesnt remember tho hades was a gaurdian until late season 3 I think. idk if it's a tank build but the shield of regrowth, BPoV, spirit robe, gem of iso, spear of magus dirty bubble type build on ah puke is fun and trolly

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 643
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Relanah View Post
    Ah Puch is pretty niche, he's still pretty much purely about doing infinity damage with his skills and that's about it. Sure he has a buff to his ult to give anti-heal, but the rest of his kit is damage (Even his 3rd skill is "Anti-heal" by the way of doing a bunch of damage if a target is healed)

The Morrigan is great for multi-role. Since she can jungle quite well and performs ganks. Her ult allows her to do pretty much anything temporarily. She can become a frontline by picking a tank, she can become an ADC by picking a Hunter, she can become a burst mage by picking a more traditional mage, she can become an actual assassin etc.

Aphro is by her nature a more support mage. Since it's hard to confirm her damage other than Back Off, she will often not get high player damage (Even if you build super damaging with 600+ power and a bunch of pen).

But she has options with her builds. She can go for more power and offensive items such like Gem of Iso for more slow, Ethereal Staff for that health reduction, Pythag's for AoE power boost, Soul Gem for more heal and burst damage (It will stack off her 3 every time you cast and her 1 when you hit allies)

Or she can go more defensive and build more tanky and then access a variety of team boosting defensive items such as Stone of Binding, Shogun's Kusari, Lotus Crown, Talisman of Energy, Heartward, Sovereignty etc...

Also, if you're looking for multi-role Mages, I'd also look into the following:

Hades - He's part Guardian part Mage. With a lot of CC and generally wants to build tanky so he can sit on the frontlines.

Zhonger Donger - A "Warrior Mage" he builds kind of tanky and then just walks at the enemy team as they all die around him because of his ult.

Chang'e - She can build for being a damaging mage, build a really hard to kill frontliner, or be a support.
    Sometimes you just can't improve on the perfection that is #Relanahareplies.
    Agree esp. on Aphro - remember her passive works best when surrounded by teammates but not as the tip of the spear so much as the wood behind the arrowhead.
    M3mphisMiles

We named the dog P0eP0e ...

Top Gods: Ares, Nemesis, Kuzenpwn
    ~~~

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by breakmyfutoffinu View Post
    idk I build full dmg hades n melt ppl its all about the life steal and doing more dmg faster then they do. I do find myself needing upgraded thorns tho late game and choosing when to engage I'd important. in case anyone doesnt remember tho hades was a gaurdian until late season 3 I think. idk if it's a tank build but the shield of regrowth, BPoV, spirit robe, gem of iso, spear of magus dirty bubble type build on ah puke is fun and trolly
    Full damage Hades can suffer in the same way an Anubis might though (Maybe even Raijin to a lesser extent), where anytime you use your ult, it roots you in place (Or slows you down heavily for Raijin) which allows the enemy mage to just drop their ult on you and potentially insta-gib you.

Hades less so than Anubis, because he gains some protections during his ult. But still, taking a full Sol/Thoth/Poseidon/Vulcan etc ultimate will chunk most if not all of your health if you've gone full damage.

That said, Hades players do tend to go like first item Bancrofts and then build stuff like Void Stone and BoV meaning they get some decent damage early and then build more defensive. Also, it's hard to argue against building Bancrofts on Hades. It just works so well with him. Be it just proccing extra healing on his detonate skill when he's clearing waves, or that thing where you dive in and ult everyone and when it ends and your health is low, you pop your detonate and get a TON of healing and damage thanks to a fully powered Bancrofts plus his multitarget explosions that also heal.

So, even as a Guardian-esk kit, he's one of the more damage-y Guardians. So more solo lane than duo (Though he can still work in the support role. Kind of like those other Guardians that are more damage focused, like Ares, Cabrakan, Bacchus. Or even some Warrior supports like Odin who basically is a ring bot until people get phantoms online when your main thing is just bird bombing people for a ton of damage as a means to peel and control enemies. Even if he has a potent AoE CC and a great teamfight control ult.

But yeah, just Bancrofts Void Shield and some other health/prots/pen items can melt people as Hades. I think last time I played supp Hades I ended up doing top damage and actually did most of the work winning a 4v5 game. If you can get people with your Blight buffed ult (So it shreds prots) and they stay there, you just enable SO much damage to be done as well as doing a ton yourself. Especially if you're cheeky and get away with stacking a Warlock's Staff for a ton of health (Though, it does slow the build down since you wanna get Bancrofts/Void Stone and some phys prots up quickly in order to be effective...)
    Preferred Gods:
    Aphrodite, Awilix, BAEllona, Da Ji, Discordia, Fenrir, Janus, Jing Bae, Nike, Nox, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

We need more kawaii skins!

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 625
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Relanah View Post
    But yeah, just Bancrofts Void Shield and some other health/prots/pen items can melt people as Hades. I think last time I played supp Hades I ended up doing top damage and actually did most of the work winning a 4v5 game. If you can get people with your Blight buffed ult (So it shreds prots) and they stay there, you just enable SO much damage to be done as well as doing a ton yourself. Especially if you're cheeky and get away with stacking a Warlock's Staff for a ton of health (Though, it does slow the build down since you wanna get Bancrofts/Void Stone and some phys prots up quickly in order to be effective...)
    Yeah solo for conq I think suits hades best, not that I ever played it myself. Warlocks health stacks with his ult. Bancroft of course. And void stone stacks with his prot shred on ult.
    Rocking the boat

Achievements:
    Well before the event was over, I did some Ah Puch but due to team comps I had to go the damage non-tanky route.
    I did better than expected though never got to try tank version.
    With Aphro on Rotation now, I am doing better with her. I even had 2 matches first I choose Aphro but then switch and literally get begged to go back to her.

Kinda torn now on which Mage to unlock next, Aphro or Puch, same with Assassin between Thanatos and Pele.