Thread: Ranked Matchmaking

Hybrid View

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points 31 days registered

Ranked Matchmaking

I've reached the point where I am just "alright, whatever" when it comes to normal conquest matchmaking. Normal is not a high priority, I get it.

But looking at the ranked matchmaking for conquest, I am completely baffled and confused. Just look at those two examples right here:

Here we have a Gold I and qualifying player matched with and against Diamond league players.

This one is even worse, with Bronze league players going up against a duo of Platinum league players.

Can someone explain to me how this kind of nonsense happens?
    From other competitive games I am used that, generally speaking, players get matched up against other players of the same league. You'd usually see Gold against Gold, Platinum against Platinum and so forth, with borderline players occasionally getting matched with and against players of the next higher/lower league.

I don't understand this... at all. And I have never seen this kind of failure of matchmaking in any game before. You cannot put Bronze players up against Platinum, this is not how matchmaking and leagues and that entire system should work.

Senior Member Chosen GameVeteranAzure's Avatar
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points
    ranked matchmaking works differently (I think) to casual

Ranked matchmaking works on an inbuilt timer, I don't know the exact numbers that it uses, so for the sake of this example we will use 30 seconds

When you queue up for a ranked match, this timer starts to count down from 30. The system will prioritize people within your rank (and a bit of leeway in both directions, i.e. slightly higher and lower rankings).

Once the timer hits 0, if enough people haven't been found for your match, the system resets the search and widens it to include more diversity and begins the countdown again.

This repeats until 10 people are found for the match in question. As time lengthens in the queue, the more of a stretch there will be in rank differences. Thus allotting for matches where you will see the above pictures.

You also need to factor in other things into this that the system can't really account for. The time of day, the day of the week.

Some game modes are more popular in the evening (like Conquest), because by that point most people are done with everything else that they need to do for the day and have more free time to game.

And if it is on a weekday, instead of a weekend, you might find that the number of people online might be smaller, since they have things to do the following morning (be it school or work).
    Yeah...Right...Sure...And I'm The King of England!
    If it works in your favor, don't question it.
    Sacrifices had to be made.
    He who knows nothing, doubts nothing.
    Xbox GT: AlchemistAzure
    Smite IGN: MordridtheBlack