Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HiRez is going to remove the three Daily Bundles in patch 5.12

Senior Member Prestigious GongsunYiru's Avatar
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor Repped! Third Class Discussion Ender
    Awards:
    Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ArsenalIV View Post
    I forgot they put a gun to your head and make you buy shit.
    There's no gun, yes. HiRez plays a psychological game.

Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 673
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by GongsunYiru View Post
    What is the game? Skins are extras that you can buy at your leisure. I don't play this game just to buy skins. If you're getting anxiety over god skins, you have bigger issues.

Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor Repped! Third Class Discussion Ender
    Awards:
    Guru
    What is the game? Skins are extras that you can buy at your leisure. I don't play this game just to buy skins. If you're getting anxiety over god skins, you have bigger issues.
    Ugh, HiRez isn't some party that does not play into people's base impulses.

Predatory monetization schemes in video games disguise or withhold the longterm costs until players are already financially and psychologically committed. No one knows the outome of chests for example, which means that the player will have to purchase an indeterminate number of chests to obtain a specific item. People are entrapped by it (i.e. the belief that one has invested too much to quit), which is exemplified by the "try-it-one-more-time" feeling. In this manner, spending money on chests provides a sunk cost effect that serves to justify continued expenditure. It is exacerbated by the fact that ingame currency (e.g. gems) create a distance from real world currency, making people realize too late how invested they are. A company may even do pressuring tactics to incentivize purchases (e.g. so-called limited time whatever) to create a false sense of urgency.

At your leisure? No, their practices are predatory in its very essential nature and the player needs to fully understand that before making their choices. Their leisure is uncertainty.

So yes, HiRez doesn't have a gun, but they sure are guilty of playing a psychological game. If people are getting anxiety over it, well yeah... their whole design permits, develops, and abuses that. Or in HiRez' own words: "we’ve developed a few strategies."

Senior Member Chosen
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Second Class
    I'll say I've been tempted to spend 1200 gems on the ultimate god pack both of the 2 times we had the deal....

Both times the deal didn't say it was a limited time offer and who knows if it is coming back, however i also want golden keys and couldn't decide if i wanted the god pack enough so if i never get it then so be it.

I wasn't so tortured by it that i bought a bunch of gems to get it and it would never have that kind of power over my wallet. If someone can't make responsible choices with their money that's on them. Hopefully after making regrettable decisions enough they'll force themselves to be more responsible, if they can't it is still on them.

Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered

Predatory monetization schemes in video games disguise or withhold the longterm costs until players are already financially and psychologically committed. No one knows the outome of chests for example, which means that the player will have to purchase an indeterminate number of chests to obtain a specific item. People are entrapped by it (i.e. the belief that one has invested too much to quit), which is exemplified by the "try-it-one-more-time" feeling. In this manner, spending money on chests provides a sunk cost effect that serves to justify continued expenditure. It is exacerbated by the fact that ingame currency (e.g. gems) create a distance from real world currency, making people realize too late how invested they are. A company may even do pressuring tactics to incentivize purchases (e.g. so-called limited time whatever) to create a false sense of urgency.

At your leisure? No, their practices are predatory in its very essential nature and the player needs to fully understand that before making their choices. Their leisure is uncertainty.

So yes, HiRez doesn't have a gun, but they sure are guilty of playing a psychological game. If people are getting anxiety over it, well yeah... their whole design permits, develops, and abuses that. Or in HiRez' own words: "we’ve developed a few strategies."
    Everything is life is psychological. Cars, homes, shoes, gaming systems etc. You need to have some damn self control. Don't live beyond your means. Don't game beyond your means. It's a gamble on what you get out of loot chest or chests. Everyone knows this. The object is to whittle it down over time so you don't always see 13/67 chests. If your lights get turned off because you wanted a Awilix skin and you blew your whole check on gems, that's your fault, not Hi-Rez's.

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Full Profile! 1 year registered
    It's like you're implying that not EVERYONE does that?

Heck, even supermarkets do it. They put candy on lower shelves so kids see it and beg their parents for it, they put things adults want higher up, they put what isn't selling well enough at the store entrance as people are impressionable when they just enter a store etc.

Hi-Rez isn't all that out there with what they do.

I mean, putting 1 new skin into a chest of like 50+ pieces of garbage is annoying, but at the same time people tend to figure out how much it's costing them to empty the entire chest's contents out (Usually notable when multiple people come to the forum and say they spend £100+ on the chests because the 1 new skin happened to be the last item they got (Which could actually be by design))

Limited sales are an oft used practice to entice people into "Buy now, not later", but they're at least open about how outside of Limited items (Which they state will never be available again) that everything else will be attainable at some point later. Sure, you don't know when, but it does mean that if you're not in a financial position to get that skin now, you may be when its next available.

Heck, with the somewhat regular release of content (Especially if you're a Neith main...) its entirely possible that while waiting for a particular skin to come back around in chests/bundles/events or whatever, that a new skin you might like equally or more could be released that you can pick up instead.

But at the end of the day, Hi-Rez isn't the worst when it comes to marketing, sure they're not great with those massive chests full of stupid wards and avatars alongside like 1-2 decent skins, but if you have some level of self control you can easily skip them or set yourself a limit on how many gems you'll let yourself spend on that chest.

At least it's not like Blizzard with vastly overpriced chests in Overwatch and no guaranteed output like emptying out a chest (Outside eventually getting enough dupes to afford to direct purchase the item you want...) but still with limited time items (Which may or may not come back, who knows)
    Preferred Gods:
    Aphrodite, Awilix, BAEllona, Da Ji, Hel, Janus, Jing Wei, Nike, Nox, Serqet, Skadi, Sol and The Morrigan.

We need more kawaii skins!

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Guru
    Everything is life is psychological. Cars, homes, shoes, gaming systems etc. You need to have some damn self control. Don't live beyond your means. Don't game beyond your means. It's a gamble on what you get out of loot chest or chests. Everyone knows this. The object is to whittle it down over time so you don't always see 13/67 chests. If your lights get turned off because you wanted a Awilix skin and you blew your whole check on gems, that's your fault, not Hi-Rez's.
    That's just a blame game. I do not care for it.

It does not counterargue what HiRez is doing (the topic at hand), which people should recognize. And a bit of awareness of it would be beneficial to that self-control, hmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Relanah View Post
    It's like you're implying that not EVERYONE does that?

[examples]
    Strawman.

Achievements:

It does not counterargue what HiRez is doing (the topic at hand), which people should recognize. And a bit of awareness of it would be beneficial to that self-control, hmm?

Strawman.
    Hi-Rez isn't doing anything everyone else isn't already doing. Get over yourself. It's a free game, it's how they make their money. Don't like it? Stop giving them money.

Senior Member Chosen
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Second Class

Strawman.
    I'd think blaming a game company for an addict's behaviour would in fact be the blame game....

I would think MOST people have more self control than to be 'forced' to buy something just because of a few encouragement techniques. Of course the company is going to encourage spending, it would be a pretty horrible business model if they didn't.

Senior Member Chosen RandomToon's Avatar
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    Since the introduction of three daily bundles, I have not been offered any. It always says "come back again!" and I do and there are no deals.
    I guess having all the ward skins, emotes, avatars, voice packs, and recall effects means they can't pad the bundles to make them 500 gems for me?
    Remember The Manticore