Thread: Game won't launch/Patch seems to delete key files

New Member Cupidhead Biggerminion's Avatar
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Achievements:
    Veteran 1000 Experience Points

Game won't launch/Patch seems to delete key files

Went to login this afternoon, and had a small patch it seemed. Launcher opened normally, it downloaded the patch, then informed me the launcher needed to close to finish installing. I accepted, then went to relaunch it. Upon attempting to reopen the launcher, I was greeted with an error reading "Windows is searching for HiRezLauncherUI.exe. To locate yourself...". I started digging through the internal files, and the launcher executable seems to have been deleted somehow... I did some brief research and apparently this isn't too uncommon, but usually has the easy fix of running the "reinstallhirezservice.exe" file in the Smite\Binaries\Redist folder...Except that file is missing as well. I then tried to just do a full uninstall using the generic Windows Uninstaller, but get a similar error that it cannot find the "HiRezGamesDiagAndSupport.exe" file to do the manual uninstall.

After a bit of further digging into the Smite files, I found a folder under "hireztemp" named "HRPUpdate", and within this folder, most of these missing files seem to exist, yet do not work when trying to launch (The "HiRezGamesDiagAndSupport.exe" is in here, but fails to connect/diagnose any problems on launch).

The brief research I've done show individually these problems typically have fairly simple solutions, but I'm at a loss for what to do with them all together like this. Any help would be much appreciated!

DxDiag link: https://pastebin.com/an5qnMjj

New Member Cupidhead Biggerminion's Avatar
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Achievements:
    Veteran 1000 Experience Points
    (Quick) Update, I found a solution, figured I'd leave it here for any who might experience similar.

So after navigating the temp folder (...Hi-Rez Studios\hireztemp) I noticed that ALL the normal base files were located in there. I created a back up of the original contents of the base 'Hi-Rez Studios' files, then copy/pasted all the ones from the 'hireztemp' folder into the main studios folder, overwriting any common files. After doing this, the HiRezLauncherUI.exe loaded/worked, and it reapplied the patch, this time correctly.

I'm guessing the root problem was something my firewall didn't like and it prevented a complete/correct application of the patch. Either way, by putting those temp files into the main directory, it seems to have fixed any and all issues of missing file pathways/linking.

Hope this helps!