Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: WHy are guardians not guardians?

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Third Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptoriuzz View Post
    The problem is not only Base Damage on Guardians or stupid Scaling, the problem is also that there are items that get abused by that:

- Soul Reaver;
    - Bancrofts Talon;
    - Ethereal Stuff;
    - Polynomicon;
    - Shaman's Ring (yeah, I've seen it quite a few times on some guardians).
    - Blink.

This is where the problem begins, expecially when some genuis like Bacchus or Ymir/Cabra blinks in and uses their 2 ability combo resulting in every ability doing damage + Soul Reaver/Ethereal procs on top of Poly.

Or Cerberus alone when he is capable of removing around 130 magical protection only getting Spear of Magus and Void Stone while using his 2.

---

And, answering your message. Stronger CC? Dude, practically every god in Smite has some sort of CC in their kit, even Slow counts as CC. The CC is fine, but the damage behind 1-2 abilities with Crowd Control is stupid.
    how is that any different to a scylla or an anubis or a hebo blinking onto you they are still going to kill you

Senior Member Honoured Raptoriuzz's Avatar
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 856
    Achievements:
    Conversation Starter 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by MAADUECE View Post
    how is that any different to a scylla or an anubis or a hebo blinking onto you they are still going to kill you
    There is a difference between a mage and a guardian.

Mages are made for DOING DAMAGE.

Guardians are made for TANKING AND CROWD CONTROLLING/SUPPORTING in most cases.

Junior Member Cupidhead MakoUmbra's Avatar
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 444
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by MAADUECE View Post
    The Difference is a Guardian has far FAR less risk blinking in like this, while a mage that does this could be absolutely deleted if the other team is ready for it...

This is why I call most of the guardians tanky crutch gods, they can just go in and deal a lot of damage without much, or any risk at all... Mages need to keep track of their positioning, guardians do not...

Senior Member Prestigious EpicWinnar's Avatar
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,018
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Tagger Third Class Repped! Second Class Conversation Starter Reputation Distributor
    Quote Originally Posted by MakoUmbra View Post
    The Difference is a Guardian has far FAR less risk blinking in like this, while a mage that does this could be absolutely deleted if the other team is ready for it...

This is why I call most of the guardians tanky crutch gods, they can just go in and deal a lot of damage without much, or any risk at all... Mages need to keep track of their positioning, guardians do not...
    Spoken like someone who's clearly never played a Guardian without any sort of movement ability.

Guardians die to focus just like anyone else.

And the only way they'll be getting any sort of relevant damage in the mid-late game is if they build for it, which will make them even easier to delete.
    "I lost to it, so it must be broken" - Every complaint thread ever.

Concept for The Hydra, Greek Serpentine Monster:
    http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...ror-of-Lernaea

Concept for Yum Kaax, Mayan God of the Wild:
    http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...od-of-the-Wild

Concept for Krishna, Dashvatara:
    http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...atar-of-Vishnu

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 377
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Veteran
    You know, building damage on tank is a nice gimmick for many game modes, but many people in this thread make it seem like it is the top-solution and only playstyle for everything.

Damage Guardians only work, if your team is already ahead and winning, so you can stomp even harder. If your team falls behind, you're essentially dead weight for your team.

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Main in gards and see if you still feel this way. Sounds to me like someone is a salty scoreboard warrior. Every gard is easily melted if you play as a team. Guess what most carries arent too concerned about? ^ that. Your pissing and moaning adds up. Been playing smite since the hour it came out on pc, and NEVER have seen a tank nuke someone to death unless they were feeding. Also, if you cant build against a damage based tank, sounds like you need to not buy the same 6 items for the only 6 gods you play.

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 614
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    For the most part, offensive items only do so much on guardians. Most of the offensive items mentioned have some utility beyond just raw dmg for tanks. The first item that really stands out as a complaint seems to be soul reaver. Lots of damage from the passive and the 130 power. Tbh, the passive is the more appealing part here. I know I pick it up when I want some bite. The passive let's you contribute a moderate amount of damage without having to build too hard into a pure dmg build. The only reason I'll build this tho, is if my team is so far ahead they dont need a utility, or I feel like we need the dmg. Next is bancrofts. This primarily built for because you'll make great usage of the lifesteal and power passive. As guardian, you are going to soak a lot of damage, so this let's you trade better at lower and give some light survivability. Ethereal 'stuff' offers a good hydrid of stats, with the power, hp, and ccr%. The passive doesn't do as much as you would think. Try picking it up as a guardian sometime and watch smaller number like 30-50 on a 10 second CD. Poly is a burst build item. Tanks that build into this either get blown up or dont utilize it. Just react like you would an assassin if their squish. As far as shamans ring, this comes down to utility again. The dmg is nice, but this is more about opening up the potential for better dps over all and the ms. I personally have been building this more myself recently, simply for the potential it provides my dps. As far as blink goes, this is the only offensive engage many guardians get, and having the ability to be the one pulling the trigger is just too important for the support role. Reactionary gen ults and sylvanus ults just dont have as strong an impact.

Really, in the end if a guard builds burst instead of defenses he's just an assassin with moderately more hp. Cc or team engage based on your comp. Simple as that.

New Member Cupidhead Soulbanker's Avatar
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 442
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 1 year registered
    "How dare a class that doesn't normally build damage, build damage"

This thread summarized, a guard won't be dealing tons of damage every game unless they go bruiser or full damage, hell i once went 30k player damage as full tank bacchus cause i got nemean as my crit counter item and the enemies were dumb enough to not get any pen. Don't whine about that, it is not the end of the world if someone feels like going full damage on a god that isn't usually built like that.

Junior Member Cupidhead PresumptuousP's Avatar
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 627
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Funny thing is as a Guardian player (arena main ie lots of group fighting experience), ill say you can take away or access to damage items WHEN and only WHEN, ADC's loose the percentage pen items and things like Quins...

Being a Gaurdian with 200prots and 3k+ health being deleted by a hunter in 4 hits sure is fun considering we are supposed to be tanks... at least give use some job satisfaction if we decide to go a little more dmg than prots, after all... those prots dont really do jack against a decent ADC.

If you dont want us to have any sort of dmg, then let us be REAL tanks... until then ill always get myself a Reaver or other dmg pepper upper most of the time.
    Last edited by PresumptuousP; 07-25-2018 at 11:23 PM.