Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New player experience - road to lvl 30

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Achievements:
    7 days registered 100 Experience Points

New player experience - road to lvl 30

First things first: I have previously played Paragon on a competitive level and recently decided to give Smite a try. So I'd say that I have fairly good mechanics and a pretty good understanding of MOBAs in general. My primary goal was to get into ranked conquest mode as soon as possible and into competitive play later down the line.

One of the first things I noticed was that I had to grind the account to level 30 before being able to play ranked mode. Fair enough, plenty of time to get to know all/most of the gods and figure out proper builds for the choices that I am comfortable with.

Fast forward to almost 150 conquest matches later, I am still not level 30 despite using a booster. Especially during the last 50 or so matches, the experience has become pure agony. I am now at a point where I'd say that I have a good understanding of the gods, roles, builds and the map. Sadly I cannot say the same about the players that I get matched up with and against.

Half the matches have someone leave the game within the first 5 minutes. Most of the matches have a least one person who can neither read nor write english or who thinks themselves above the nuisance of "communicating with the rest of the team".
    Almost all games have a few people in them that apparently have never played a MOBA before, never bothered to figure out what roles are or how lanes work. It is super rare to even get someone in my team that knows that buffs exist.

All of this feels like a giant waste of time that is really starting to wear down my patience. Having to explain at the start of every match that the long lane with the purple buff is the duo lane, that we need at least 1 person in the middle lane and that equipping relics is generally a good idea, has gotten old very fast. That is especially true because most of the time the players don't even bother listening to those things.

In one of my most recent games I had a Nu Wa and Rama duo lane and Thanatos plus Da Ji both on the solo lane. None of those players said a thing in the lobby even after I asked them which positions their picks were supposed to be. Since I figured that Nu Wa was probably going to go mid lane, I picked Guan Yu, so that I could do support, solo or jungle depending on which positions those team mates were going to go to once the game started. Upon noticing that Nu Wa was heading towards the duo lane, I pointed out that we need someone in the middle lane. No one responded. Neither to VGS nor pings nor chat messages. 3 minutes into the game our duo solo lane died and both left the game shortly thereafter, turning it into a 3v5 with the remaining 2 team mates being mute. The match went on for another 10 minutes until they agreed to surrender.

The sad thing here is that those kind of games are not the exception.

I want to start being able to play proper matches! I cannot imagine that the intended solution to that is to look for 4 other competent players and just stomp our way to lvl 30 in a 5 stack. But it seems like this is the only option left at this point...

Case in point:
    A screenshot of my recent match history

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Lord__Hazanko's Avatar
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Achievements:
    7 days registered 250 Experience Points
    You only lost 5 games bro? What are you complaining about?

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord__Hazanko View Post
    You only lost 5 games bro? What are you complaining about?
    It seems like I wasn't clear enough on that point in my initial post, so let me elaborate:
    How much I win or lose is not the point here. See those 5 minute games? Imagine how much fun those are for any of the players involved. And it could even be worse if the remaining players decide to troll and just press f7 every time despite 1-2 players having left the game. If the opposing team is incompetent and don't know how to close out a game - which is the case more often than not -, those games can easily drag on for 20 minutes or more. 20 minutes of agony with a predetermined outcome.

I just had a 37 minute game where 2 of the enemies left the game very early on. It took us that long to finish the game because the rest of my team was playing like poorly programmed bots, randomly pathfinding through the jungle and onto random lanes while being unresponsive to chat, VGS or pings. They would randomly walk into a defended enemy phoenix without a minion wave and just die for no reason at all. Of the remaining 3 enemy players, 2 were set out to troll everyone as hard as possible by refusing to surrender despite pretty much never being able to leave their own base.

And in the last 100 games, I have had dozens of those experiences. I would rarely get something that would even remotely resemble a proper match with proper roles.

While I take that stomping people might be fun for some players for a while, I personally don't find much enjoyment in that. Just looking at my most-played god tells the whole story:
    Hun Batz history
    This is not what I would describe as fun for either side.

I am at lvl 28 now and from the looks of it I will need another 100-150 games to hit level 30... and it's starting to strip away my sanity.
    Last edited by Nezgar; 06-20-2018 at 10:02 PM.

Junior Member Cupidhead Konquadorion's Avatar
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points 31 days registered
    dunno how 2 lvl up faster.
    But it takes a while at my first smite account to reach lvl 30.
    Playin 2-5 hours a day it may lasts 4-5 weeks.

If u want to have some more fun u can add me ingame "Zelphiron"
    Playin in team is a good option and not boring to grind lvl.
    With 1900 Elo im 200 below yours but leave me a message and i will answer.

Greetz

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Lord__Hazanko's Avatar
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Achievements:
    7 days registered 250 Experience Points
    I dont know. I'm having the complete opposite experience. You're a monster at this game somehow, despite never playing it.... I'm not sure how you're doing so good tbh. I came from Paragon also, I had around 400 hours in that game, but I don't even have a 50% win rate in SMITE. I just keep getting paired up against full stacks of dudes waaaaay better than me and my team of solos.

You're kicking ass and taking names, so I don't know man. I can't have much sympathy for you. You're just crushing..... Kind of unbelievably good tbh. Pretty insane.
    Last edited by Lord__Hazanko; 06-21-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Senior Member Chosen GameVeteranAzure's Avatar
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points
    I would try switching game modes. Yes longer games modes mean more exp...but since you are having to slog through some rather rough games it doesn't seem worth it.

Arena may be the "casual" game mode of Smite, but it is also much faster. An average game of Arena lasts, at best, 15-20 min. Either due to God kills or Minion kills thanks in part of the ticket system. God picks are a bit more interesting here. Sure you will see picks that are popular in Conquest, but you will also see stuff that doesn't do well in that game mode.

Ares is a prime example of this. He suffers in Conquest due in part to the lack of "team fighting" until late game. By that point most people can build against him rather easily, thus shutting down the only use he has. But in Arena, as soon as he hits 6 he is useful since Arena is nothing but team fights. And he stays useful even if the enemy team builds against him.

The choice ultimately is up to you. If you want to keep slogging through Conquest then go ahead. But at least I gave you a suggestion on an alternative.
    Yeah...Right...Sure...And I'm The King of England!
    If it works in your favor, don't question it.
    Sacrifices had to be made.
    He who knows nothing, doubts nothing.
    Xbox GT: AlchemistAzure
    Smite IGN: MordridtheBlack

Achievements:
    I appreciate the advice, but I am going to stick with conquest. As I said in my initial post, my goal is ranked play and, if possible, competitive play later down the line. If I am forced to spend such a lengthy amount of time leveling my account to 30 for ranked play, I might as well use it to get as much practice as possible - and an important part of that is playing with and against gods that are frequently used in that game mode.

The 2 matches of non-conquest that I have played thus far have mirrored my conquest experience when it comes to being stuck with people who have no idea what they are doing or supposed to do, so I doubt that switching game mode would prove much of a respite...

Senior Member Chosen GameVeteranAzure's Avatar
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points
    the experience might be the same, but at least with Arena the games will be much faster. I rarely see teams in Arena surrender, because there isn't much point. The match will only last for so much longer. It isn't like Conquest where the enemy team needs to destroy the "Titan". They just need to whittle down the ticket numbers.

But I get your logic and what you are saying. As I stated before, I just wanted to offer an alternative. 1 other suggestion then.

Check in the LFG forum. Having some people to play with might make the experience a bit more manageable.
    Yeah...Right...Sure...And I'm The King of England!
    If it works in your favor, don't question it.
    Sacrifices had to be made.
    He who knows nothing, doubts nothing.
    Xbox GT: AlchemistAzure
    Smite IGN: MordridtheBlack

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 3 months registered 1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class
    1 - Some of the players you think do not understand gods, roles, builds and the map do have that problem, others just do not care. Low to mid ELO has a portion of the playerbase either doing whatever they want or making bonehead decisions.

2 - Some of those discos are not intentional. Yes, there are people even on NA server who communicate in other languages. Some of those who "thinks themselves above the nuisance of communicating with the rest of the team" may actually have problems with VGS, me for example been playing 9 months now and still only know roughly half the VGS commands PLUS try typing one when you need to use a same key you are using to move and avoid dying.

3 - Your complaints are not only true about Smite, also true about every other MOBA I ever tried or heard of.

4 - Nu Wa can be used as an ADC in addition to Mid.

5 - Your match history is actually quite good, do not understand why complaining about it. Your SmiteGuru Conquest ELO is higher than the bottom and your Win/Loss is positive though your little Joust experience needs work.

6 - If you are missing Paragon, there is always Paragon 2.

7 - If you want more competitive Smite try Ranked though Summer Split will end around August.

8 - Account leveling is not a measure of skill despite what some people think. Yes it is a long grind to 30 intentionally, each level needs more XP to reach up to 30. After 30, the amount drops to a flat rate for every level above 30. I am sure once you reach 30 and go ranked, you will find what you want.

9 - Modes outside Conquest have differences in playstyle I would suggest learning before trying including the player behavior, it has its own rough spots, many of them.

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1 year registered Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points
    I feel for you man. As you said its not about winning but having a good competetive experiece. Have you tried duel? Its much faster, you dont rely on team to close out. And you will get lots of lane practice useful for both mid and solo lane.

I dont remember how long it took to reach 30. I know my smurf hit lv 15 in just 2 days but i guess it goes slower from there.

I would roll with another mode though. Stuck in noob conq land sounds like no fun. It might be that despite your win rate your level puts you with noobs still. Casual conq is really bad att times though.
    Last edited by RockerBaby; 06-24-2018 at 10:11 AM.