Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kill Securing vs Kill stealing

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Lord__Hazanko's Avatar
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points 31 days registered

Kill Securing vs Kill stealing

Hey guys, new Smite player here.

I'm just curious what the etiquette is on 'Kill Stealing'.

What's the difference between stealing a kill, and securing a kill?

If im a rangey mage, and I see someone on low life, is it right for me to blast em and get the kill, or if a teammate is already close, do I just let them get the kill?

Just curious what your guys' opinion on this is, as I continue to learn, and up my game.

Senior Member Chosen
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Second Class
    Normally I'd say just kill them(assuming you won't be putting a move on cooldown you might need for a team fight). However there are times when you should let someone else get the kill, such as if a team mate needs the kill for building stacks of Ao Kuang needs to execute for his passive or Kali want to heal off of it.

If you have a team mate that is behind in levels, letting them get the kill can also help them catch up a lot(killing someone levels ahead of you seems to give a pretty nice boost to your own level). This can make it a good idea to let support get some kills near late game, helps them catch up and help out more for the team fights.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 850
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Conversation Starter
    If someone has done 90% of the damage and you run in and do the last hit, thats straight up ksing. If someone has done most the damage and you see the kill getting away and no way will the other guy get the kill, then kill secure it.

Junior Member Cupidhead BahamutFlare's Avatar
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points 3 months registered
    Quote Originally Posted by damienmc90 View Post
    Normally I'd say just kill them(assuming you won't be putting a move on cooldown you might need for a team fight). However there are times when you should let someone else get the kill, such as if a team mate needs the kill for building stacks of Ao Kuang needs to execute for his passive or Kali want to heal off of it.

If you have a team mate that is behind in levels, letting them get the kill can also help them catch up a lot(killing someone levels ahead of you seems to give a pretty nice boost to your own level). This can make it a good idea to let support get some kills near late game, helps them catch up and help out more for the team fights.
    I don't mind anyone securing my kills or helping out. Even if I do 90% of the work. I agree with most of what he said, but also wanted to add. I have seen assassins or mages use their entire kit when the other 4 teammates were surrounding a person. The target had 0% chance of making it out alive. The other 4 of us weren't going to blast our ults to make sure we got the kill. This guy then proceeded to spam "I'm the greatest" even though he was playing objectively badly. Most, if not all, of his kills were stolen and he did not push any kind of objective or help out in other ways.

So secure any way you can, but don't put yourself into unnecessary danger. Try not to use your ult or really important abilities if they are getting away. And if you do end up stealing kills like the guy in the story I said, don't be toxic towards your team. Not that I'd think you would be if you care enough to ask about this.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead SaintDemonbane's Avatar
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    It honestly just depends on the temperament of the person you're "stealing" the kill from, more than anything.

If you're teamed with a salty ADC that has a habit of being toxic, expect to be accused of KSing literally any time you kill anyone near them. Meanwhile, a chill support who's having a good time will probably never accuse you of KSing.

There are indeed cases of kill stealing, but that is stuff like a Loki ulting someone about to die in an AoE attack they can't avoid, or a Poseidon ulting someone about to die from a basic by someone right next to them.

Plain and simple, if you KNOW that someone is going to die and make the conscious choice to kill them anyway, that's stealing. If you're just trying to make sure someone doesn't get away, or if they get caught in the blast of your abilities, or you're just on autopilot and throw an ability at them without full thinking, that isn't stealing. Kill stealing is purposefully going out of your way to ensure you get a kill over a team mate.

Senior Member Chosen ShinigamiXzero's Avatar
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,040
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    Most of the time go for the kill because if you fail to get an easy kill and the other person who did most of the damage kit is on cooldown they will be upset that no one could finish the person off.

Now when you are kill stealing. If something is one hit away from death, cced, and their is no way they can possible live. You decide to use a displacement move to take the kill away from team and take it yourself. Or just play like a majority of Loki players.

Senior Member Chosen
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Second Class
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintDemonbane View Post
    It honestly just depends on the temperament of the person you're "stealing" the kill from, more than anything.

If you're teamed with a salty ADC that has a habit of being toxic, expect to be accused of KSing literally any time you kill anyone near them.
    I've had people accuse me of KSing someone after they've died because i finished them off when they did all the work, also when they simply wanted to kill someone and were heading towards my lane but i killed them before they arrived. It can get ridiculous, though i do understand a bit when you are trying to get that final form achievement. I wish i could get that one so bad but idk if I'll ever get the right circumstances. Maybe someday ill wipe out an entire 5 man team with a Kukulkan ult.

Senior Member Honoured Raptoriuzz's Avatar
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 856
    Achievements:
    Conversation Starter 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    I personally don't care if I get kills or "steal" them.

The f*ck is wrong with this mind? It's a team oriented game, not a frag-collecting-simulator. If your team kills someone and you win the objective/the match, isn't that good? I mean, sure, it might suck, but I don't care about who gets a kill and how he gets it in a team-oriented game with an objective to win.

New Member Cupidhead Sehshomaryu's Avatar
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 500 Experience Points
    Yes, it is a team game and that also means being conscious of your teammates abilities and items. Examples were already given about experience, Kali and stacking items but there's also Bloodforge. The attack and movement speed buff of that hp shield is fantastic. But that said, kill stealing really is only when you know the enemy has no chance and is going to die and there are more benefits for your aloy getting the kill than you. I'm not referring to KDA or anything else statistical but actually important to the game at hand. If your ally has it in the bag and benefits from it more than you, only then is it a legit steal.

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Using an auto attack to get a kill is always ok in my book. Well if you can give it to a carry and you are support sure don't take it.

Using a pure dmg skill without utility to grab a kill often isn't that bad. Its better to make sure they die. Remember that they might aegis or something so holding your dmg just a bit and see where it goes can be a good idea so yall team don't try blow someone up at 15% they aegis and you are all on CD and they run away.

Using a skill that has utility and damage to finish off someone that would die anyway is bad as you then do not have it up for potential new target / ongoing team fight.

Using ulti to kill secure if they die anyway is obviously bad.

It also depends on the target is it their most fed God or one on their team that is doing bad anyway.

All that said if team spent like 2-3 ults and someone is at 10% and about to run away it is very frustrating to not get the kill so don't even think about concepts as kill steal just kill them.

I ruined a penta yesterday with an auto attack as Bellona, feels bad man, didn't mean to but my mouse left click is broken, buying a new mouse today though =)
    Last edited by RockerBaby; 06-18-2018 at 09:03 AM.
    Rocking the boat