Thread: Why literally everyone is quitting this game

New Member Cupidhead MightyShellfish's Avatar
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran

Why literally everyone is quitting this game

I've been playing this game since 2015, took a break around a month ago and recently hopped on today for a few quick games. I just wanted to share my experience of my first 4 games back and why in my opinion the game is failing to attract new players and losing its current player base in droves.

1) Queued for first game, matched with players who are obviously new at the game. Went 6-4 with every single person on my team dying at least 4 times and 1 kill share between the 4 players other than myself.

2) Assumed that this was because I haven't played for a long time so it was hard for the system to match me - gave Smite the benefit of the doubt.

3) Played a second game, everyone started shouting at each other for not rotating 10 mins into the game (granted I did also take part in this). Team quickly became ridiculously toxic and we lost the game on the back of that.

4) Tried playing a ranked game - server crashes

5) Wait around for the servers to come back online, wasn't able to queue for a ranked game because of server instability.

6) Queue for normal game while waiting for the servers to come back online. Chat doesn't work, nobody can call their roles, everyone just kind of guesses where they need to go. Game starts stutter framing every 10 seconds (I am assuming this is a server issue seeing that I have never had this before and don't see a reason of why it would suddenly start aside from the server crash earlier). Spent the game with the entire team spamming "You Rock" every 5 seconds because chat isn't working so no one can be toxic by actually typing. Lose the game.

7) Finally queue for a ranked game, game exits during lobby because someone didn't pick a god in time

8) Queue for another game. Chat still doesn't work, everyone guesses where they have to go again. Voice coms also don't work. One of our team lags out. Game still stuttering framing every 10 seconds. Everyone votes to F6 at 10 mins.

9) Thought about queuing for another game. Noticed massive exclaiming mark on the store button, go to the store and get ambushed by a million different skins. Realised that the development team has probably spent more time and effort making skins every patch than making sure that their servers actually work and that match making is at least reasonable.

10) Realise that I never want to play Smite again.

Bare in mind that is my experience of Smite in just FOUR games. Now if I was a new player and my first experience of Smite is the 4 games I have just played, there is absolutely no chance that I would ever consider playing Smite an enjoyable experience.

The community is ridiculously toxic, the servers crash on a regular basis, matchmaking is a complete joke and that's not even going into the god/item balance issues that this game has.

It really pains me to complain about Smite because I actually love this game. This is the only game that I have played consistently since 2015, I have sunk more hours of my life into this than any other game. But it has honestly gotten to a point where playing Smite stresses me out much more than any fun or joy it brings me.

I really really hope that the developers will realise soon that the fundamentals of the game and its community are immeasurably more important than the skins that they shove in our face every single patch.

The skins don't matter if the servers don't even work. They don't matter when a level 14 account queues into a game with level 130 accounts and then spends the entire game being shouted at by their team because they're completely new to the game. Its the fundamentals and the fun of Smite that keeps players engaged, not the skins. If Hirez doesn't realise that soon they are going to struggle to keep this game alive.

I want to like this game, I really really do, but at the moment that is almost impossible and my only wish is that Hirez will make more of an effort to fix these things.

Senior Member Infamous Outso187's Avatar
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,214
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor
    People aren't quitting more than usual tho.

Senior Member Chosen
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Second Class
    I'm not quitting, so not literally everyone is quitting....

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 652
    Achievements:
    Party Person Tagger Third Class 1 year registered Repped! Third Class 10000 Experience Points
    I haven't played in a couple weeks but I'm laughing as I read your post because that is highly typical.

Recentky I started playing Heroes of the Storm and I'm having a great time.

What I like most is that most people appear to be friendly and when you pick a champbin casuals, matchmaking puts you with people who chose other roles so you can always play who you want.

I think of smite sometimes but I don't know if u can go back. Everytime I take a break, come back I am reminded within two games how terrible some of my experiences were.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 850
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Conversation Starter
    um actually the game is dying

http://steamcharts.com/app/386360

the few gains you see are offset by more losses.

9k players on when i last checked

Senior Member Honoured SquireAngel's Avatar
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JEWJEWBEES View Post
    um actually the game is dying

http://steamcharts.com/app/386360

the few gains you see are offset by more losses.

9k players on when i last checked
    You have to remember that steam isn't the only venue for smite. Also, I imagine once hirez rolls out their new mm and it has even half ass decent matches, those numbers will go up again.

The true era of Mobas is kinda over, but they aren't dead yet.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 850
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Conversation Starter
    lmao, dota 2 has 600k players online now, LoL has close to the same numbers. Mobas arent dying, however Smite is.

Senior Member Honoured SquireAngel's Avatar
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Dota used to have more, and if you know anything about league, it's been struggling lately as well. As for Smite itself, yes, it has been struggling more so, but I personally know that the updated mm will have me back to 4-5 matches daily assuming it works as intended.

Senior Member Honoured Raptoriuzz's Avatar
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 856
    Achievements:
    Conversation Starter 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by SquireAngel View Post
    Also, I imagine once hirez rolls out their new mm and it has even half ass decent matches, those numbers will go up again.
    That's true , Smite itself can be launched without steam, but since Steam is a popular platform, I think the non-steam version doesn't add that much playerbase number.

As for the MM, that's not gonna attract new players or bring players who stopped playing the game.

Trust me, the majority of players who played this game and left it already have a specific impression on it like "this game has no balance be it god balance or mm balance" and they are kinda right.

Even if the new MM system is a good thing, it's not gonna bring old players back because they've already tried this game out and they didn't like it and probably don't follow the news about Smite.

LoL and Dota2 are better because they are world known. HotS is fine because it has a huge word behind it - "Blizzard". Smite has nothing of this. The matchmaking system should've been fixed before, not 3-4 years after the release.

And that's IF the new system is good. If the new system is utter sh*t, it's gonna turn away even more players and it's already hard to make the system good because the playerbase is very small and split between like 10-11 queues and 3+ regions? The EU and NA regions can be fine getting the new update because they are a huge playerbase overall, expecially EU. Other regions? I doubt it would be so good for them but we will see.