Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Baron Samedi - A Closer Look

Senior Member Prestigious GongsunYiru's Avatar
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,487
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor Repped! Third Class Discussion Ender
    Awards:
    Guru

Baron Samedi - A Closer Look

Who is Baron Samedi
    Baron Samedi is the Loa of the Dead. Loa are the Voodoo Spirits that govern the mysterious forces of our world. Baron Samedi rules over death, and in many ways, he also rules over life.

Our Vision
    Baron Samedi is a fascinating character. He is serious and important while also being wild and rambunctious. These seemingly opposite features combine within Baron Samedi, resulting in a god unlike any other.

Theme – Death (and life)
    Visuals – Host of the Party
    Personality – Casual and Crass
    Perspective – Loved, yet Intimidating

All those who follow Voodoo know the Baron, and they know how serious his work is. They also know how insane his parties are. Death is a celebration, a great transition to a new world, and Baron Samedi will be there to greet you and make sure your spirit arrives safely, all while he smokes cigars and drinks rum. Everyone will eventually meet the master of the dead as he shepherds them into the afterlife.

Baron’s appearance is very specifically described. He is usually depicted wearing a nice suit and a top hat, and always has his rum and cigar. His face is either painted like a skull or is actually just a skull. Obscenity, debauchery, and partying are his ways of life.

We wanted to stay true to his depiction so the iterations here are more similar than many SMITE gods. Sometimes we experiment heavily and try drastically different body types and themes, but for Baron Samedi we stayed more consistent. We honed in on the details to finalize Baron Samedi’s concept art.

We found the right type of coat and adorned it with symbols that reference his official Voodoo symbol called “veve.” We attached his rum to his hip and set his cigar in his hat so they would always be present. We also looked for ways to spice him up even further. To do this we added a live snake on his staff, and modeled a decorative coffin for him to use in animations and abilities.

Although he is heavily associated with death, he can also be a giver of life. Baron can cure people of even the most deadly illnesses or curses. We used both of these themes to inspire his abilities. Baron casts his abilities as if he is center stage on the dance floor. His animations are lively and exaggerated as he shows off his power and swagger.

His unique gameplay elements are:

Unique consumable for his team, Baron’s Brew
    A long-term stacking debuff he applies to enemies
    A healing ability focused “in combat”
    Very little mobility

Baron’s kit relies on consistently hitting enemies. He builds up stacks on each enemy individually. All of his abilities have increased effects on enemies with more stacks. This play style works well with the utility mage item builds that include more cooldown reduction and some HP or protections. Baron wants to stay in combat and keep landing shots while his power ramps up.

Baron Samedi focuses on bringing the party to his allies, while deriding his opponents and stripping them of their power for trying to kill his mood. The more influenced the enemies are, the more powerful these effects are, giving Baron Samedi a unique playstyle of seeking out targets that he has already hit to keep the party going. And of course, when it’s time for the Grand Finale Baron Samedi is sure to bring his enemies in for the fun.

Baron Samedi will get the party started soon. The Battleground of the Gods is the perfect crossroads between life and death where Baron Samedi will feel right at home.

Baron Samedi
    God of Life and Death

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 1,202
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    But does he have friends on the other side?
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead omer1698's Avatar
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points
    I like him. His swag can easily surpass swagni. And i dont get that "baron=ah puch" thing, ah puch could never look good in a suit like the baron.

also i really like waht hiraz has been doing with the gods reveals lately with those blog posts, i hope they will keep them going.

and now for skins, i can definitely see him pull off a "the mask" skin. imagine him with a yelllow suit and with crazy green face.
    Last edited by omer1698; 06-15-2018 at 02:32 AM.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 850
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Conversation Starter
    Over hyped

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 635
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by JEWJEWBEES View Post
    Over hyped
    Where? Combined this thread and the one on reddit has 120 post. Doesnt seened to hyped to me.

Looking forword to the new god, keep up the good work hi rez.

Senior Member Prestigious EpicWinnar's Avatar
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,018
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Tagger Third Class Repped! Second Class Conversation Starter Reputation Distributor
    Looks fun. Looking forward to trying him when I finally get everything reinstalled.
    "I lost to it, so it must be broken" - Every complaint thread ever.

Concept for The Hydra, Greek Serpentine Monster:
    http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...ror-of-Lernaea

Concept for Yum Kaax, Mayan God of the Wild:
    http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...od-of-the-Wild

Concept for Krishna, Dashvatara:
    http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...atar-of-Vishnu

Junior Member Cupidhead PsychoBlonde's Avatar
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Repped! Third Class 500 Experience Points
    His ult is ridiculously broken in a 1v1 situation. The duration is so long AND he's mobile with it that using purification beads is just a waste of time. You still take the damage, still get pulled in, still get stunned, unless you just wait and purify JUST the stun portion of it. There is literally no escape from his ult unless you have a teleport/dash.

They need to make it function similarly to Da Ji's, in that if you beads it, you're immune to it. Especially since he can just follow you.

Senior Member Chosen
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Second Class
    Can't you just use aegis and run directly into it?

Senior Member Chosen
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Second Class
    Chang'e and Ravana can use their immunity moves as well and run into it

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 1,202
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by damienmc90 View Post
    Can't you just use aegis and run directly into it?
    Yes, but then you're still locked down and he can set up his regular combo; which, since he's a mage, will spread your asscheeks wide enough to tear them from your pelvis. Even if that stops him, you're still right in the middle of the enemy team if he's ulting during a teamfight.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts