Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Matchmaking destroying my will to play.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Lord__Hazanko's Avatar
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered

Angry Matchmaking destroying my will to play.

So i'm fully admittedly a new player to SMITE. Paragon died off a few months back, and I had sort of ignored SMITE for the longest time. Just recently I decided to say "F-it" and give it a shot. I've been playing pretty much everyday over the last few weeks. Just taking my time jamming some casual Joust, trying to learn the different gods, and the item system. I would win a match, lose a match, win a match, but I was having a blast at least, and felt like I was learning more and more each and every game.

Well, all that came crashing down, to a sudden, savagely, 'not-fun-AT-ALL' end.

At this point, i've lost about 12 games ina row or something crazy like that... The thing is, it's not like we are having good, fairly even matches like before, and then I end up losing, but still have learned a lot and had fun... What seems to happen damn near every time now, is I get matched up against either a team of way higher level premades, over and over and over, or there ends up being 1 guy on the opposing team who must be smurfing or something, because he is just a straight up demon at this game and insanely good. Almost every match lately, my entire team gets completely destroyed by 1 guy going like 20-0 on the enemy team, and just annihilating us. the games get to a point were it feels like I literally can't do anything but get shredded in seconds.

The matchmaking seems to be the worst matchmaking ive ever experienced in any video game, ever in my life. I don't understand why it constantly sets up HUGE mismatches over and over and over and over; ad nauseam.

How are new players supposed to learn when they just get destroyed in seconds by squads of premades multiple levels higher than themselves? And how is it fun for the experienced players to just ROLL OVER with no effort a bunch of new scrubs like myself?

I wasnt having this problem at first. Id win some, and Id lose some, but I was having really fun games either way, and always learning. Now I feel like there literally isn't even a point in loading up a game anymore, cuz I know im just going to get annihilated, learn nothing because we just got smoked so hard, waste a half hour of my life, and leave pissed off and frustrated.

What's the deal with this matchmaking?

Any tips, or advice? I really love the concept of this game, and see the potential for fun, but getting destroyed again and again, just makes me not want to play anymore, and it's a huge bummer.

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 421
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1 year registered Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points
    Its a high skill cap game. I had 16 loss streaks in this game. Both in regards to mm and general skill progression there are plateaus you gotta get over. Then there are smurfs, I think joust is kinda vulnerable to smurfs in particular. I would advise to try and learn even from those stomps what are those players doing that manages to catch you off guard and put it into your own play. The matchmaker can only hold your hand so long at some point you gotta deal with the grit and suffer to become better. I always liked that smites matchmaker is a bit over the place, that way I quickly learned how much skill is actually in the game and got inspired by other players but yeah I got stomped a lot. But yes we all know some games should not have happened. I'd look to arena to try avoid the most try hard smurf parties, for some reason I think they hang around joust, clash and siege more but that is just my experience.
    Rocking the boat

Achievements:
    Wow, well thanks for the honest feedback. I really appreciate the insight and advice.

I was kinda expecting to just get flamed with "Git gud kid", so it's cool to get some real down to earth perspective.

You've inspired me to not give up yet, gonna keep plugging, and grinding!

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by RockerBaby View Post
    I would advise to try and learn even from those stomps what are those players doing that manages to catch you off guard and put it into your own play.
    There are situations when you get stomped so hard you really can't learn anything. Plus it's not just about you as an individual. This is a team game so there are elements of gameplay that you cannot put into yours unless you are in a full guild premade.
    Example: Met a tryhard premade in Clash that consisted of Odin, Cerb, Aphro who were boosting Loki and he ended up something like 22-0.
    You can't learn anything and can't replicate this if you're solo queueing.
    We all know that bad matches happen, it's expected to a degree. But there is a difference between losing a balanced match and being roflstomped and If you get roflstomped more than 5x in a row the matchmaking is bad. It's simply not enjoyable. And something like a 12 loss streak a or a 16 loss streak is absolutely ridiculous and it should not happen if you're even moderately trying.

Senior Member Chosen GameVeteranAzure's Avatar
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 735
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points
    I played solely on console and started when that beta went live, so for the most part everyone was on even playing ground.

now though for console or pc, getting into a game like this has both good and bad things about it.

the community is bigger (I think) than it was when I first started, but the majority of players are pretty set right now in terms of skill.

yes dealing with higher leveled players is an annoyance, but one you can learn from. as for smurfs...you can soon spot them out amongst the group.

as you play with both, you may see patterns in build choices or god selection. you can go one of two ways.

learn gods that can counter those picks, or figure out how to counter their build effectively while still making yourself a threat.

the first is a tad easier, since all it takes it looking at abilities and classes. the second however get complicated.

many players find it difficult to get that fine lined balance of "counter" building an enemy god while still being effective against the rest of the enemy team.
    Yeah...Right...Sure...And I'm The King of England!
    If it works in your favor, don't question it.
    Sacrifices had to be made.
    He who knows nothing, doubts nothing.
    Xbox GT: AlchemistAzure
    Smite IGN: MordridtheBlack

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Personally, I'm not new to the game I'm just not gold 5. And it's only recently that the matchmaking's got significantly worse.

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 421
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1 year registered Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by jdouci View Post
    There are situations when you get stomped so hard you really can't learn anything. Plus it's not just about you as an individual. This is a team game so there are elements of gameplay that you cannot put into yours unless you are in a full guild premade.
    Example: Met a tryhard premade in Clash that consisted of Odin, Cerb, Aphro who were boosting Loki and he ended up something like 22-0.
    You can't learn anything and can't replicate this if you're solo queueing.
    We all know that bad matches happen, it's expected to a degree. But there is a difference between losing a balanced match and being roflstomped and If you get roflstomped more than 5x in a row the matchmaking is bad. It's simply not enjoyable. And something like a 12 loss streak a or a 16 loss streak is absolutely ridiculous and it should not happen if you're even moderately trying.
    I lost many games to try hard premades but I also won some vs try hard premades. When you played enough games such games only make it more interesting. I didn't want to go on a 16 loss streak I tried its just the way it is sometimes. I had winstreaks of more then 20 so it goes both ways. Even when I was newish to the game I could have long win streaks.

Another thing is if you are playing off peak hours matchmaking can get pretty bad so as I see it its mostly a factor off population online. On peak hours on popular modes I find matchmaking to be fairly good at the moment. But I don't do a lot of joust, siege or ranked so can't speak for that. The few ranked conq games I play is a mixed bag but often challenging as I haven't spent that much time in conquest.
    Rocking the boat

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 379
    After 1200 hours im here to say you, leave the game already, srlsy, the matchmaking will be like that at any leven, your problem right now its you are low level geting destroyed by high levels, but in the future you will be a high level geting destroyed by have low levels in your team or toxic people instead, smite its pretty cool and fun, i know about that, but i really really warn you, this game its already broken, not more fun and im not the only one, daily a lot of players quit the game, and even youtubers and competitive players are leaving it too, its hard but bealive me, this game its done, and not just the game, the moba gameplay its not fun anymore, the people its so toxic and its pretty hard find developers doing real balanced games, smite got some op gods and bullshit items and i dont want start with the bugs, a few weeks ago a guy said something about a bug from vulcan, 2 months with that bug and a guy from hirez said "oh can you give us more information about this bug? we are in love of our comunity and we want to repair it" ... 2 months and he just got the balls of say that. Again, bealive me, smite is not fun anymore, there is a lot of free games where you can have soooo much fun without shit matchmaking or toxic people screaming you in the chat and all the problems you can find in smite or in any kind of moba, value your time dude.
    }

Achievements:
    I'm not really a shooter guy, so there aren't many multiplayer games I enjoy. SMITE, and Paragon before that, when you have a good game, is just so much fun. I find myself chasing that "high" of having those good games, even though they only happen like once every 3 games..

What's the deal with the Vulcan bug? That's actually a god I like to use a lot.

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 3 months registered 1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord__Hazanko View Post
    Any tips, or advice? I really love the concept of this game, and see the potential for fun, but getting destroyed again and again, just makes me not want to play anymore, and it's a huge bummer.
    Depends on mode playing and role choosing.
    Also helps to know in game ID to check your matches on Guru unless your profile is hidden (don't know how people do that). Cannot find any Lord__Hazanko on Guru.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord__Hazanko View Post
    What's the deal with the Vulcan bug? That's actually a god I like to use a lot.
    What bug? The one from the Patch Notes?