Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: And then we wonder why we have no new players and why this game isn't growing either.

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 926
    Achievements:
    Party Person Tagger Third Class 1 year registered Repped! Third Class 10000 Experience Points
    I've played Smite for years. I'm a pretty high level player to boot and love the game.

I'm taking a break from Smite. I tried to Solo Q last week and was constantly matched against teams who knew what they were doing.

(A Chaac on my team built deathbringer) I asked him to please build better because the pre made clan across from us came to win.

So Chaac sat in base watching us die in team fights and said "how's it feel when Chaac isn't there? You want to complain about my build".

He ended up selling the DB but never got a 2nd relic and kept his starter item to prove some kind of point. We ended up losing after a 30 minute game.

So I'm messing around with DOTA 2. So far I'm having a great time. It's really opened my eyes to some things Smite is doing wrong.

Senior Member Prestigious Necromancer776's Avatar
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 888
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered Repped! Second Class 10000 Experience Points
    Like I always say...

Premades ruin SMITE.

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 714
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Conversation Starter Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomToon View Post
    So, I have been thinking about this one too.

Here is my idea.

First, take away stats from everything but Conquest. Maybe Joust and Duel, but those are meh. Pull everything else from the guru page and from god cards, etc.
    Next...and stay with me here...soften match making on modes other than Conquest, Duel, and Joust.

Hear me out here! The reason you want to do that is to make it so that you eliminate the "herr derr I have awesome stats" reasoning from people. Because they won't be able to stat pad against new players as easily, they might not want to do it as much. Since you can't get to Conquest until account level 15, you give the engine more time to determine if an account is a smurf or not. As it stands, measuring against other new players is a terrible measure of skill anyway so you want to test against established opponents, hence the softened match making. Not saying remove it altogether, but softened quite a lot.

Just an idea. Not sure how I feel about it, but it could be something? Not sure.
    I mean padding stats is just a cherry on the cake. The enjoyment derived from camping people's fountain in arena is the sheer amount of dominance you exert over them. Removing stats isn't going to stop it because it's still fun to be better than people.

Senior Member Chosen RandomToon's Avatar
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaveana View Post
    I mean padding stats is just a cherry on the cake. The enjoyment derived from camping people's fountain in arena is the sheer amount of dominance you exert over them. Removing stats isn't going to stop it because it's still fun to be better than people.
    Yeah. Hence the other part of the post. The part where you soften matchmaking. You won’t be able to camp the fountain because you won’t be fighting all new players. I wouldn’t do it for Conquest, but you can totally get away with it in Arena and other such modes.
    Remember The Manticore

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 474
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    hell i just started a smurf account. and to be quite honest i have been getting better matches. everyone seems to be making smurf accounts. so it seems 9/10 youre going up against fellow smurfs....

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Lord__Hazanko's Avatar
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points 7 days registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaveana View Post
    Right. Cuz crushing people who don't have any idea what they're even doing makes you "better than people"..

That is some seriously weak logic, that I literally just can't comprehend.

Yeah you're better, you've played 500 hours more than these people. Honestly, What is even fun about that?

If i'm playing basketball with my little brother, it's not fun to just block all his shots, because im 2 feet taller than him, and he can't get past me or shoot over me, and just dunk on the kiddy hoop over and over... Sick bro, I just DOMINATED some little kid. Super fun, and cool.

Senior Member Chosen
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord__Hazanko View Post
    Right. Cuz crushing people who don't have any idea what they're even doing makes you "better than people"..

Yeah you're better, you've played 500 hours more than these people. Honestly, What is even fun about that?

If i'm playing basketball with my little brother, it's not fun to just block all his shots, because im 2 feet taller than him, and he can't get past me or shoot over me, and just dunk on the kiddy hoop over and over... Sick bro, I just DOMINATED some little kid. Super fun, and cool.
    While i personally wouldn't find that fun, there are people who would.....

Senior Member Chosen ShinigamiXzero's Avatar
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord__Hazanko View Post

Heard this quote on a show. It is every rookies dream to see how well he can hang with a pro.

After he gets knocked out the pro says it is every pros dream to see how he can hurt a nonpro.

Senior Member Chosen ShinigamiXzero's Avatar
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    To the OP you should just play with your friend to give them tips. I probably forced a friend into harder matches early on. It was rough at first but he adapted.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Chiagirl's Avatar
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 571
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Full Profile!
    Smite has no new players because the new players get crushed by smurfs or people transferring from console then BMed and harassed to death for being bad at the game when they've only played for a few hours, so it's no wonder none of them stay. Until Hi Rez finds an effective solution to address this issue the population is going to continue to decline, which is why our matchmaking is so terrible as veteran players eventually leave the game and we have no new people sticking around long enough to get good and replace them.
    In game name is MysticMidnight. If somebody could change my forum name to match, that would be great. I'm a NA mid main on PC looking for a team for conquest or ranked joust. I usually play nights CST time; message me if you think I'd be a good fit. No trash talkers please.