Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: And then we wonder why we have no new players and why this game isn't growing either.

Senior Member Honoured Raptoriuzz's Avatar
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 856
    Achievements:
    Conversation Starter 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points

And then we wonder why we have no new players and why this game isn't growing either.

Got another friend to try and play this game.

I didn't want to play with him in party, knowing how HiRez doesn't give a sh*t about parties where new players exist. So I told him to play on his own to see if he likes it or not.

And what would you think?

P.S: all the following screenshots have been taken by my friend and he doesn't want to show his nickname since he doesn't want to accociate himself with this game.

This is the result of the match he got:

For those interested, I give you the Smiteguru link: http://smite.guru/censor/match/51725

As you can see here, these 2 players named Bacchus and Rama were partied.

Not only this. From what I understood how my friend told me about the whole situation, these 2 "players" didn't even let them get out from the base and were simply sniping them. "Rama never missed his shots from the sky" (never missed his ultimate I guess?) and bacchus was one-shotting them from "jump + whatever".

They both just got lucky you say? Well.

This is the Rama profile page:

This is the Bacchus profile page:

As you can see, these 2 "players" are pure smurfers who don't give a f*ck about new players and new player experience.

What is worse, they turn potential new players away and ruin fun for new players on purpose.

My friend told me they wrote something like "ahaha, learn to play noobs, ez" after the match has ended, adding some xD smiles.

What could I do? I tried to give advice to my friend but after his question like "how often does this happen" and my answer "almost typical for smite even in the EU evening when playerbase number is more", he said "nope" and told me that this is the worst game experience he has ever seen where you can't even leave a base for half of the match's length.

And yeah, he has uninstalled this game after that match. Just like many other friends I invited to Smite before. Because of matches like these.

I understand, smurfers exist everywhere, but not like every match 2-3 players are guaranteed smurfers who love to sh*t on new players, thinking they are pros.

And yeah, don't tell me new players should learn from better guys. What should my friend learn? That it's fun to camp base spawn and pick damage items on guardians because guardians dealing damage just like mages is fine? My friend doesn't know gods, items, abilities. How is he supposed to learn when being raped like that?

The sad part is that such behaviour is not bannable. I mean - such "players" can create new accounts left and right and still ruin gaming experience for new players thus hurting new players, hurting the first impressions and therefore - hurting playerbase by creating new "false" accounts and forcing truely new players to leave this game without even experiencing it at full pace.

And then we have talks like "ours queues aren't populated enough, low playerbase, blah blah blah". Your current community is killing the growth of playerbase with such "community members" who think it's fine to ruin gaming experience for new players.

Maybe, if HiRez somehow detected smurfs and punished them by banning not only them but their main accounts included, we wouldn't have such devastating experience for newcomers.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Haha, they porbably get stomped on their real accounts by players at their level, so they are probably mad and feel need to farm Penta on smurf accounts! I'm allergic to smurfs

And it's like so obvious, from distant space you can realize they are smurfs, lmao! 22/0 Level 3 30/5
    There's no war we have not won!

Member Worshipper VlentisFlyheightis's Avatar
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Achievements:
    the problem most new players have is they dont use the bot games to learn how to play and basic builds. i put my friends i brought into the fold through several bot and custom games with and against me and would run them through builds. they aren't Diamond+ players but they have a good grasp of everything now and play every mode except Conquest.

MOBA's have a learning curve, i only did well from the getgo cuz i came to Smite with years of League under my belt. Casual Arena players are fine but you gotta at least cut your teeth on some practice first.
    Ares stole Aphrodite from Hephaestus
    Ares killed Poseidon's son for rape and was aquited for murder
    Ares is both the Father AND Grandfather of the Amazons. Feel free to "EWWW"
    Ares turned a guard that failed to anounce Helios into a rooster
    Ares supported Trojans. Ares has a ton of kids

Senior Member Chosen
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Second Class
    Why would you ban people for playi g really well when they first start? I understand actual smurfing happens, probably often. You can't just ban people because you think they might be one though, some people are legitimately good when they first start.

Member Worshipper VlentisFlyheightis's Avatar
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by damienmc90 View Post
    Why would you ban people for playi g really well when they first start? I understand actual smurfing happens, probably often. You can't just ban people because you think they might be one though, some people are legitimately good when they first start.
    This. I came from another moba and spent time learning the ins and outs before going into player matches. I got the Hard Carry (20 kills) achievement on my third day playing.
    Ares stole Aphrodite from Hephaestus
    Ares killed Poseidon's son for rape and was aquited for murder
    Ares is both the Father AND Grandfather of the Amazons. Feel free to "EWWW"
    Ares turned a guard that failed to anounce Helios into a rooster
    Ares supported Trojans. Ares has a ton of kids

Senior Member Infamous Outso187's Avatar
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor
    Even without smurfs, you see those games a lot on low level games. Peoples learnign curves are extremely different, some people grasp things much faster and do well right away, others need a lot of hours before they start doing even decent. cough like me cough

Senior Member Honoured Raptoriuzz's Avatar
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 856
    Achievements:
    Conversation Starter 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by damienmc90 View Post
    Oh, a defender of smurfs.

"they can be pros the first time they start playing".

Pros, in a 3rd person MOBA, where everything is a skillshot and a lot different from let's say LoL and Dota, picking pure damage bacchus build with Poli and Soul Reaver every single time or never missing any autos/hard hitting abilities?

Sure.

Senior Member Chosen
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Second Class
    For your information personally i did play LoL before playing smite, so when i started before playing a single game a took a few hours and looked at every God's abilities and every item in the game. Needless to say i did pretty well. I'd imagine there are other people with similar behaviours.

Also what about people who have played smite for years on pc and then newly start on console, or people who played for years on console but everyone says pc is better so they start on pc?

Senior Member Infamous Outso187's Avatar
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptoriuzz View Post
    Oh, a defender of smurfs.

"they can be pros the first time they start playing".

Pros, in a 3rd person MOBA, where everything is a skillshot and a lot different from let's say LoL and Dota, picking pure damage bacchus build with Poli and Soul Reaver every single time or never missing any autos/hard hitting abilities?

Sure.
    Those examples most likely were smurfs, yes. But some people are legit good right away and they could get their builds from friends who have played before.

Senior Member Chosen RandomToon's Avatar
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 804
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    So, I have been thinking about this one too.

Here is my idea.

First, take away stats from everything but Conquest. Maybe Joust and Duel, but those are meh. Pull everything else from the guru page and from god cards, etc.
    Next...and stay with me here...soften match making on modes other than Conquest, Duel, and Joust.

Hear me out here! The reason you want to do that is to make it so that you eliminate the "herr derr I have awesome stats" reasoning from people. Because they won't be able to stat pad against new players as easily, they might not want to do it as much. Since you can't get to Conquest until account level 15, you give the engine more time to determine if an account is a smurf or not. As it stands, measuring against other new players is a terrible measure of skill anyway so you want to test against established opponents, hence the softened match making. Not saying remove it altogether, but softened quite a lot.

Just an idea. Not sure how I feel about it, but it could be something? Not sure.
    Remember The Manticore