Thread: God Idea: Hodr, the Blind God of Winter

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead AustSiannodel's Avatar
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Full Profile!

God Idea: Hodr, the Blind God of Winter

This is my second God Idea for Smite. I'm gonna be editing a lot after I post this, so any aid or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Good enough. That is what they said of Hodr. Though he was named Warrior, he was born blind. Fearing the troubled dreams of his most beloved son, Baldr, Hodr's twin brother, Odin sought out advice and learned that Hodr would bring about the death of Baldr, starting the first sign of Ragnarok. Telling his wife, Frigg, she sought out everything in the Nine Worlds, making them swear to do no harm to her son. Everything but young, harmless mistletoe.

Having the fear of death no longer hanging above his head, proud Baldr reveled with everyone, where they proceeded to through every weapon at him, watching with amusement as each and every one bounced harmlessly off him. All but Hodr, who sat on his own. Loki, who did not care for Baldr, and had learned of the forgotten mistletoe, approaches Hodr and asks why he did not honor his brother with everyone else? "I cannot see, nor do I have something to throw?" Hodr replies. Loki then handed him an arrow made of Mistletoe and guided his hand. Launching it, the arrow pierces Baldr's heart, slaying him dead, and starting Fimbulvinter, three years of winter that herald Ragnarok. Though Loki was the cause of Baldr's death, Hodr was responsible, Vali was born, who slayed Hodr, and bound Loki.

Hodr now has his second chance to right the wrong he had done, find his brother, and prove he is more then simple "good enough" as He enters the battlefield of the gods

Title: The Blind God of Winter
    Pantheon: Norse
    Type: Ranged, Physical
    Class: Hunter
    Pros: High single target damage
    Difficulty: ???
    Stats
    Health: 480 (+80)
    Mana: 230 (+40)
    Speed: 360 (+0)
    Range: 55 (+0)
    Attack/Sec: 0.95 (+1.0%)
    Basic Attack
    Damage: 38 (+ 2.5) + 100% of Physical Power
    Progression: None
    Protection
    Physical: 13 (+3)
    Magical: 30 (+0.9)
    Regen
    HP5: 8 (+0.71)
    MP5: 4.4 (+0.38)

PASSIVE: Blind Sight
    Hodr does not have vision, but can "see" using his other senses, and general awareness. His map reveal and vision in lane is reduced. In return, Hodr gains vision around him out to 60 units, that can reveal enemies on the other side of walls and obstacles, given that the wall is thin enough.

(I tried to find how many units characters can see and give you hard numbers, but for the life of me I could not. But In general, just picture that the enemy gods aren't seen until they are closer then they would normally have to be, EXCEPT when you have ward, minion, tower vision, or vision granted by ally abilities.)

1: Mistletoe
    PASSIVE: Hodr grows new Mistletoe arrows over time (Max 3) every 15s.

ACTIVE: Hodr Launches his piercing Mistletoe arrow in a straight line, dealing damage and stopping at the first enemy God hit. He cannot activate this ability if he does not have any Mistletoe arrows

DAMAGE: 60 / 90 / 120 / 150 / 180 (+50% of your physical power)

Cost: 25 mana

(Yes there's no cooldown on this ability. The idea is that when you build cooldowns, the arrows grow faster, 6s per arrow at max ranks. I've balanced this as a mix between Rama's Passive and Ullr's 1.)

2: Winter's Darkness
    Hodr imbues his bow with the cold of Fimbulvinter Hodr gains bonus Physical Power for 5s, and his Basic Attacks slow on hit. They do not stack, but refreshes on hit. Hodr's Basic attacks also have a slight damage increase to target's within 30 units to him.

Physical Power Buff: 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40
    Bonus Basic Attack Damage: 5 / 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 (+15% Physical Power)
    Slow: 15%
    Duration: 5 seconds

Mana Cost: 50 / 60 / 70 / 80 / 90 Mana
    Cooldown: 15 seconds

3: Through the Wilds
    When activated, Hodr can flip over the wall he is facing, landing on the other side. He is not considered airborne during this. He can only flip over walls he could have vision on the other side of, meaning less then 60 units wide. He cannot flip over the same wall, while the wall in on an On Location Cooldown. The On Location Cooldown is NOT affected by CDR.

On Location Cooldown: 100 / 90 / 80 / 70 / 60 Seconds

Cooldown: 3 seconds

ULTIMATE: Kinslayer Arrow
    Hodr roots himself and pulls back a Cursed Mistletoe arrow, honing in on the world around himself. His vision begins to expand slowly as does the range of the ult. When fired, the Arrow will very quickly travel to the end of the range, going through obstacles and walls, stopping on the first god hit dealing damage. If the Hit kills an enemy god, Hodr gains a significant reduction on his Ultimate's Cooldown.

Damage: 200 / 275 / 350 / 425 / 500 (+130% of your physical power)
    Cooldown Reduction: 40%

Mana Cost: 80 / 90 / 100 / 110 / 120 mana
    Cooldown: 120 Seconds

(To avoid confusion on this Ult, simply imagine Mercury's Ult, how it builds up distance, and then quickly dashes there. As for how fast the arrow moves, it'll be a lot faster then Neith's Ult, but it can be dodged. The cooldown effect works like Ah Muzen Cab's Ult, but instead on pick up, it's on getting a kill.)
    Last edited by AustSiannodel; 06-02-2018 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Feedback

Senior Member Chosen GameVeteranAzure's Avatar
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points
    Hm, this is what I think.

Passive - This is rather interesting but also possibly the hardest thing to implement. All Gods have a "vision" range, though I do not know what the solid number of units that range is. Often you can hear things far beyond what you can see them. And generally when one sense is dulled/lost/etc the other senses become stronger. This could viably imply that Hodr has a much larger "vision" range than all the other gods.

1 - I am fine with how this seems to work.

2 - Why not both? The Power Buff isn't crazy, so adding on additional damage would be possible, but maybe only within a set range. For the sake of this, we shall say that the range of the ability is 60. Anything within a range of maybe 30 does extra damage along with the slow, outside of that just does the slow (plus what ever basic attack damage you are doing). You'd have to have the extra damage be I'd say maybe 30/60/90/120/150 (+25% of your Physical Power) which is roughly half the damage your 1st ability does damage wise. This way it doesn't make the ability too overpowered.

3 - The wording on this is a tad weird. Will he just flip over a wall automatically if he has vision on the other side and is close enough? Or is it as long as he has vision on the other side of the wall, he can approach it and flip over it? The first could hinder his ability to kill a god, since if he is too close to a wall while fighting, and he has "vision" on the other side of it, he would just flip over the wall and have to walk around to re-engage the enemy. I mean for escapes it sounds great...but having that option to do it of my own accord would be a key factor.

4 - Define "significant" reduction to the cooldown. Are we talking 10 seconds? 20? More? Depending on his build, at full cool down, his Ult will have a 36s cooldown. Now add onto that this "significant" reduction, he could very well use his Ult on one God (getting the execute) and then use it again within a rather short timespan again on another God. Now currently no other God that has an execute has any function like this. As such I would highly suggest removing that. I have no issue if it executes them, but 36s on an Ult is terrifying enough.
    Yeah...Right...Sure...And I'm The King of England!
    If it works in your favor, don't question it.
    Sacrifices had to be made.
    He who knows nothing, doubts nothing.
    Xbox GT: AlchemistAzure
    Smite IGN: MordridtheBlack

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by GameVeteranAzure View Post
    Hm, this is what I think.

Passive - This is rather interesting but also possibly the hardest thing to implement. All Gods have a "vision" range, though I do not know what the solid number of units that range is. Often you can hear things far beyond what you can see them. And generally when one sense is dulled/lost/etc the other senses become stronger. This could viably imply that Hodr has a much larger "vision" range than all the other gods.

1 - I am fine with how this seems to work.

2 - Why not both? The Power Buff isn't crazy, so adding on additional damage would be possible, but maybe only within a set range. For the sake of this, we shall say that the range of the ability is 60. Anything within a range of maybe 30 does extra damage along with the slow, outside of that just does the slow (plus what ever basic attack damage you are doing). You'd have to have the extra damage be I'd say maybe 30/60/90/120/150 (+25% of your Physical Power) which is roughly half the damage your 1st ability does damage wise. This way it doesn't make the ability too overpowered.

3 - The wording on this is a tad weird. Will he just flip over a wall automatically if he has vision on the other side and is close enough? Or is it as long as he has vision on the other side of the wall, he can approach it and flip over it? The first could hinder his ability to kill a god, since if he is too close to a wall while fighting, and he has "vision" on the other side of it, he would just flip over the wall and have to walk around to re-engage the enemy. I mean for escapes it sounds great...but having that option to do it of my own accord would be a key factor.

4 - Define "significant" reduction to the cooldown. Are we talking 10 seconds? 20? More? Depending on his build, at full cool down, his Ult will have a 36s cooldown. Now add onto that this "significant" reduction, he could very well use his Ult on one God (getting the execute) and then use it again within a rather short timespan again on another God. Now currently no other God that has an execute has any function like this. As such I would highly suggest removing that. I have no issue if it executes them, but 36s on an Ult is terrifying enough.
    Thanks for the reply, and Hello again! And I got the answers you're looking for here actually.

Passive - I understand the confusion, but the part with the hearing things from far away, that was only an idea, one I didn't deem good to put fully into the post, but was interesting as it is.I wasn't likely to keep it, anyway. But the main focus of the passive was that he could hear in a radius around him, out to his Basic Attack range (55 units) and if an enemy were to enter that range, even while in the jungle (Keep in mind the range isn't super large) they will be revealed on his map with a tiny ping, and he can see them (by them i mean that red outline you see when a ward has vision on them.

1 -I based this off a combo of rama passive and Ullr's 1

2 - The Physical power buff is just a nerfed version of Ullr's Bow stance 2, with a slow added on, but I'll consider your suggestion, maybe not the exact same way, but so long as you don't think It'll be overpowered to have both.

3 - Sorry for the confusion on this one, I'll reword it in a little bit, but first let me explain what I meant and where the inspiration came from. When you activate the ability, so long as you are touching a wall, you jump over it (but you are NOT considered AIRBORNE during this roll.) It happens fairly fast, as well. I didn't want him to be able to flip over HUGE walls though, so I added a condition. the wall has to be thin enough that his passive can reach over it. I may or may not change this to be a biiiit bigger if a lot of the important walls in most maps prove to be too thicc. But yes, it's a choice, you have to activate the ability to Flip over. The inspiration came from League of Legends' very own Talon, who has this same ability, but scaled for LoL instead.

4 - Before I start, I want to begin with this. There are two options I couldn't decide on for the ult. The first is a slight damage and EXECUTE, with no cooldown reduction on it. The second is a medium-high damage ult that reduces cooldown if it kills. If I do the Execute, I will not include the cooldown effect. I would also like to say that this ult was a mix between Neith's ult and Mercury's ult, so I based the cooldown off that, but I don't mind increasing it more. It was just a base start. So to was the mana costs. As for the cooldown reduction I based this off of Ah Muzen Cab's ult, but definitely NOT that high. AMC's reduction was 80% of his whole cooldown. This would be more like 50% if not 40%

So to recap, you suggest rewording the passive, using both on the 2, rewording the 3, and choose one of the ult effects?

Achievements:
    Obligatory Bump! Dont worry, I don't do these frequently, and each bump is less frequent!

Junior Member Cupidhead LazyMadness's Avatar
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 247
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points 31 days registered
    Nice concept, i think he would be a nice hunter...even blind

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 374
    1.This god has no lane clear. Ya know why no one played anhur before impale buff?
    2. I saw that ability somewhere... Rama?
    3. Hi-Rez will have some bug fixing with it, but I <3 the idea!
    4. Yay, finally a hunter with execution! A bit chiron'y

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSoWolf View Post
    1.This god has no lane clear. Ya know why no one played anhur before impale buff?
    2. I saw that ability somewhere... Rama?
    3. Hi-Rez will have some bug fixing with it, but I <3 the idea!
    4. Yay, finally a hunter with execution! A bit chiron'y
    1. His 1 is his lane clear. it just stops at enemy gods
    2. No it's based on ullr, but changed to be better, since he's not a stance change, with a slow to fit his concept of winter
    3. It should be simple enough to be honest
    4. This is NOT an execute. it doesn't execute. If it kills, it has a cooldown reduction much like how Ah Muzen Cab gets one if he picks the stinger up, and the way it works is much like Mercury's ult, in how it expands.

His 1 is a mixture between Rama's passive and Ullr's 1, dealing less damage then Ullr's 1, but since you can fire more, if you are accurate, it deals more then Ullr's 1. I designed him to have a good skill cap

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyMadness View Post
    Nice concept, i think he would be a nice hunter...even blind
    Thank you This is honestly one of my favorite one's that I worked on

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 374
    1. Conquest: Lvl 1 duo lane fight - Anhur impale used to be bodyblocked by enemy guardian standing in front of the wave (cuz it stoped on gods) and thus our lovely lion could not even hit one minion with it.
    2. Bonus dmg on basics + slow is just reworked rama!

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSoWolf View Post
    1. Conquest: Lvl 1 duo lane fight - Anhur impale used to be bodyblocked by enemy guardian standing in front of the wave (cuz it stoped on gods) and thus our lovely lion could not even hit one minion with it.
    2. Bonus dmg on basics + slow is just reworked rama!
    1. Ok but that has nothing to do with Hodr's 1. You get multiple of them and can use them to really poke the enemy if they try this, which would be dumb, so it's a lane clear
    2. bonus physical power is reworked Ullr 2. I just added in the bonus damage later. Again his whole kit began as Ullr as a base and changing things up. It's not Rama

Like if you wanna think that, that's cool, but I'm telling you what it is. It is based on Ullr's buffing 2, with a slow added on because it's about winter, so an effect like a weak frostbound hammer

Put it this way, you are talking about Rama's 1, yes? The thing that allows his auto's to go through enemies and slows? That was the inspiration on the two (Since Hodr builds up arrows) but they function like a weaker Ullr bow stance 1. But rama's 1 enhances his Autos to go through people, and his 2 gives him increased attack speed. Hodr's 2 does not give him attack speed, or enhances his autos to do anything. They function as an empower, like Ullr's 2, which grants ullr power, and therefor damage. And the bonus Basic Attack damage does not apply to Hodr's 1 arrows, since they are ability based arrows, not Basic Attacks.

And yes, someone COULD body block Hodr's 1 but again that would be dumb since they deal lots of damage. You know how much Ullr's 1 hurts in the Early? all 3 shots do more then that if they hit, so if a person body blocks, Hodr will most likely get a kill
    Last edited by AustSiannodel; 07-10-2018 at 10:31 PM.