Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [Official] SMITE May 29 Match Making Update

New Member Cupidhead Vanquish36's Avatar
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 388
    I would first like to say I'm appreciative that HiRez is finally addressing SMITE matchmaking. However, the removal of duo queues in ranked may be what spells the end for the battleground of the gods. I feel as if HiRez has forgotten that SMITE is a GAME that people play for FUN, and for many, playing with friends is a large part of that fun. While queueing casual conquest may satisfy some player groups, others will look to the higher quality ranked queue. Naturally, the fact that your performance in game has a direct effect on your rank causes many players to take the games more seriously, leading to more competitive and better matches. However, the removal of the duo queue will result in player groups facing an ultimatum: queue ranked solo or be forced to queue in the lower quality matches (that don't allow bans for whatever reason). I understand that casual conquest will now be split into two separate queues (which seems it will exasperate the problem of too few players in queue), but in all reality, the "elite" queue will ultimately be indistinguishable from the current casual queue because there is no encouragement for players to take the game as seriously as they would a ranked game. As a player who consistently duo queues ranked (at around the platinum level) I don't mind the 5-7 minute queue timers. I feel like HiRez is trying to fix a problem that exists for only a small percentage of the population (i.e. masters and grandmasters) by reconfiguring EVERYONE'S SMITE experience. I have been playing SMITE since the console betas, and I'm disappointed to say that if duo queues are removed from ranked, I will likely leave the game. Playing with friends is a very important aspect of the game to me, and without a queue that incentivizes competitive play while allowing me to play with my friends, I don't see a future with SMITE.

Senior Member Infamous Outso187's Avatar
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanquish36 View Post
    -snip-
    It puts everyone on the same starting point. No one has any advantage due to partying. I like it. Even tho it means I can't play ranked anymore since I can't play support.

Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Full Profile!
    The first part of fixing matchmaking is fixing the kind of experience the new players have so they stick with the game and eventually reach higher skills levels, thus keeping Smite's population from declining. (Lack of players is a big factor in bad matchmaking, and devs have admitted to players being spread thin between all the different regions and modes.) To do this you need to crack down on harassers/BMers/etc. and get smurfs and new players that transferred from console or other mobas to their actual skill range in under 5 matches. (I believe elsewhere they said it takes them something like 15 matches to catch smurfs, which is way too much time for them to ruin truly new players' experiences.)

That fixed, what would immensely help in accurately matching players by skill is to have them select their role and god when queuing, and have that factor into their elo for that particular matchmaking session. My Scylla mid is going to be much better than my support Athena for example, but matchmaking currently has no way of telling what god/role I'm going to play until AFTER I've already been matched, which is a problem as that makes it impossible for it to truly match you accurately. My support and solo game is definitely bronze level, but I'd like to think my mid and adc game is at least silver.

Beyond that it's just reducing the number of game modes if there are still issues with long queue times or bad matches. To my understanding league of legends only has 3 main modes which are roughly similar to our conquest, assualt, and joust; as well as an occasion rotating game mode which I guess would equate with our adventures or mode of the day since those change regularly as well. So their players are only spread out between 3-4 game modes while our players which are even fewer in number are spread out between over double that (conquest, joust, arena, clash, seige, assualt, duel, MOTD, adventures).

So while Smite's mode diversity is nice and probably draws a few players to the game, we could likely solve a lot of matchmaking problems by cutting the number of modes in half. Obviously we keep conquest since it's the main mode that smite's esports use. I'd also keep arena since it's the most popular mode and is good for letting people practice PVP with gods without having to worry about pushing lanes, ganks, or objectives. Third pick would be joust as it's the second most popular mode and is a good intro in the lane and objective management for conquest whilst dealing with fewer players and without having multiple lanes to worry about. Final pick would be duel simply cause it's the only way to have an accurate rank of skill that isn't skewed by having bad teammates or somebody else carry as it's literally just you vs 1 other. (Side note, I realize keeping duel over other modes like seige or assualt is going to be an unpopular opinion, but as someone who doesn't play duel and did terrible when I tried I still think it has more value than the other modes, as evidenced by it currently having a ranked mode.) Most popular game modes being based off this: https://imgur.com/a/uWpnt80 which I believe came from an earlier official Hi-Rez statement about matchmaking.

While I think separating conquest modes by number of wins could help in the short term, I don't think removing multi queue to implement "pop timers" is going to help anything as that was taken away before for a reason and multi queue was also asked to be implemented for years with good reason. All of this is just my 2 cents of course, but I think it would go a long way to improving the quality of the game.
    Last edited by Chiagirl; 06-08-2018 at 10:15 PM.
    I'm a NA mid main on PC looking for a team for conquest or ranked joust. I usually play nights CST time; message me if you think I'd be a good fit. No trash talkers please.

Senior Member Chosen RandomToon's Avatar
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 804
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiagirl View Post

So while Smite's mode diversity is nice and probably draws a few players to the game, we could likely solve a lot of matchmaking problems by cutting the number of modes in half. Obviously we keep conquest since it's the main mode that smite's esports use. I'd also keep arena since it's the most popular mode and is good for letting people practice PVP with gods without having to worry about pushing lanes, ganks, or objectives. Third pick would be joust as it's the second most popular mode and is a good intro in the lane and objective management for conquest whilst dealing with fewer players and without having multiple lanes to worry about. Final pick would be duel simply cause it's the only way to have an accurate rank of skill that isn't skewed by having bad teammates or somebody else carry as it's literally just you vs 1 other. Most popular game modes being based off this: https://imgur.com/a/uWpnt80
    I wanted to talk about this specifically. I agree there are too many modes. Multi-queue made that MUCH less of a problem, but if they are going to do away with multi-queue, they may need to get rid of modes.

My opinions.

Keep Conquest. It is the main mode. No one disagrees.
    Keep Arena. It is the most "predictable" mode in the game because you can realistically estimate its end time and it is the most consistent in terms of length. It is also a good practice mode with very few distractions. Builds there transfer easily.
    Keep Joust. It is intro to laning, and it is the ranked mode that you can full party queue for.
    Keep MotD with the caveats below.

Now I get controversial.

-Dump Siege. It is just Clash but with longer lanes and it suffers from the same problems as Clash except it teaches you to sit under tower too long.
    -Dump Clash. It servers no purpose because it is just Arena with towers and longer respawns, and you inevitably get someone who stands under tower all day and you end up having a 4v5 because rotations are so easy. It teaches you to play Conquest wrong by rotating and fighting under tower too often. It is too easy to not be punished for over rotating.
    -Dump Duel. It teaches almost no transferable skill. It does not teach teamwork or situational awareness, which are the most important things in the game. The main game is not a 1v1 so who gives a shit if your Loki can bore someone to surrender after 97 minutes. I literally did that to someone; I refused to fight for over an hour and a half and they surrendered having done nothing to my tower. At the end of it I dealt about 5k damage just because my decoy accidentally did damage and I needed to actually fight at BDK. This game mode makes you literally worse at Conquest because it mostly rewards offensive type players who will go on to blame their deaths (which were caused by their over aggression) on their support player. Can you tell I am a support main?
    -Dump Assault. It is my favorite game mode and I credit it for learning gods I would never play otherwise. I like it because it is the "non meta picks and builds" game mode. That said, if it went away, I would not cry...specifically because it does not help you learn proper builds and power spikes.
    -Dump MotD. At least, dump the current model of them. Add the modes being removed into the rotation. Put in S2\S3 Joust map sometimes. Put in the S4 Conquest map. Make it about more than just 100k gold and infinite mana random gods. That shit gets old when it is all there is. Put it in sometimes, but don't let it be the default.

Just my .02 although my mind could be changed on Clash (since it is a bridge mode) and duel (since two people queueing for it really won't affect population for other modes anyway) these are just my initial opinions.

Another factor...pull the Arena, Clash, Siege, and Assault stats from being published. People "care" about their stats so get salty when you try things in modes other than MotD. Remove the stats online. Make them fun modes. Only publish stats for modes that are available in ranked - Conquest and Joust (both casual and ranked). Duel too if you decide to keep it. Don't let the stats from those other modes count just like they don't count for MotD (despite still getting worshippers and favor, etc.). It just makes more sense, IMO.
    Last edited by RandomToon; 06-08-2018 at 02:14 PM.
    Remember The Manticore