Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: [SPOILS] Baron Samedi and Pele concept art leaked in official video

Senior Member Infamous Outso187's Avatar
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,183
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKeksalot View Post
    I'm not. I have never done that once in this thread.

What part of "this is not about practicality" have I not made clear? Heels give a visual suggestion as to what a character can do in a fight, as does any character's clothing choice. They are not the only factor, and they can be overruled by other details; but they still play into visually indicating a character's abilities. You have yet to explain exactly WHY I'm wrong here.
    So basically you are talking about what the looks makes you think, not what it actually does.
    Rip & Tear

Senior Member Chosen
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Second Class
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKeksalot View Post
    I'm not. I have never done that once in this thread.

What part of "this is not about practicality" have I not made clear? Heels give a visual suggestion as to what a character can do in a fight, as does any character's clothing choice. They are not the only factor, and they can be overruled by other details; but they still play into visually indicating a character's abilities. You have yet to explain exactly WHY I'm wrong here.
    What you personally believe heels signify is your opinion, likely based on stereotypes. Personally i don't see any reason why a divine being couldn't wear heels and be agile. It isn't as if we should expect her to make mistakes, she isn't only human. Perhaps she can sprint at insane speeds while wearing heels due to the way she perfectly places her feet. There is no reason for science to get involved.

Any indication as to what a character does derived from clothing are just stereotypes, stereotypes haven't existed since the dawn of time they were developed through repeated use. New things can also become stereotypes the same way the old ones have. There is no need for any design to stick to any stereotype.

The tiny guy could be squishy and agile, he could also be incredibly dense and move slowly while being a super tank. No he doesn't need to look like a dwarf to be tanky, body composition decides density not body shape. It could also not rely on realistic attributes, and be incredibly tanky and agile.

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outso187 View Post
    So basically you are talking about what the looks makes you think, not what it actually does.
    I'm not talking about personal opinion. This is about what a character wears hinting at what they can do. It's a fact that heels are not a good choice for keeping balance no matter who you are. When a character does backflips in high heels, it's really suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by damienmc90 View Post
    What you personally believe heels signify is your opinion, likely based on stereotypes. Personally i don't see any reason why a divine being couldn't wear heels and be agile. It isn't as if we should expect her to make mistakes, she isn't only human. Perhaps she can sprint at insane speeds while wearing heels due to the way she perfectly places her feet. There is no reason for science to get involved.
    This is, again, not about the practical logistics of a design, but what the design communicates. Making up an explanation for why a really specific detail clashes with a character's abilities is a red flag that maybe that detail shouldn't be in the design.

Any indication as to what a character does derived from clothing are just stereotypes, stereotypes haven't existed since the dawn of time they were developed through repeated use. New things can also become stereotypes the same way the old ones have. There is no need for any design to stick to any stereotype.

The tiny guy could be squishy and agile, he could also be incredibly dense and move slowly while being a super tank. No he doesn't need to look like a dwarf to be tanky, body composition decides density not body shape. It could also not rely on realistic attributes, and be incredibly tanky and agile.
    Except those stereotypes serve a purpose. They're helpful. A great design is one where you can take one look and go, "Yeah, he's a frontliner" or "Yeah, he's a mage," etc. Deviation from common tropes is fine so long as it doesn't create a divide between how a character looks and what they can do. Thanatos is a good example of what not to do; with all that armor, he looks like a bruiser (owing both to the armor increasing his apparent size and looking like it provides a lot of protection) despite being squishy. Compare this to Tyr, who has a similar overall look but makes more sense with it as a tanky god.

The point is this: designs for game characters are more than just art, they're a potential asset for getting to know a character. This is helpful for newer players who don't really know what to expect. A lot of factors play into this--physique, outfit, posture, weaponry, and even facial expressions--and to discount even the smallest detail's potential implications is to ignore the basic principles of character design. I've been repeating myself for, what, 2 and a half pages, now? There's nothing else to be said here. I have better things to do than try to explain something to someone who's not going to listen.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Senior Member Infamous Outso187's Avatar
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,183
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor

This is the second time I agree with you. End times are coming.
    Rip & Tear

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    The real reason Aphrodite can get away with heels, she doesn't touch the dirty ground with her feet anyway. She's above that filth.
    YES!!! Someone gets it. I love you!
    Aphrodite
    The standard of beauty is not definite. We define it.

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,148
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Its funny.

1. Those are not high heels. Stilletos sure but high? No

2. The Baron also has heels but yall dont talk about that.

Senior Member Prestigious zecleria's Avatar
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Veteran
    i like how this thread is all about the heels when theres the elephant in the room which is her looking as generic as it gets without any inspiration from her cultural roots other than fireyness which is also as generic as it gets.
    You may think all gods have huge amounts of courage, but only xbalanque has the balls to use them as weapons.

0.3 instead of 30% again.
    dont skip school kids.
    How to make arguments on forum:if you cant win an argument, call the other side trolls. Always works

New Member Cupidhead SovereignSky's Avatar
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by zecleria View Post
    i like how this thread is all about the heels when theres the elephant in the room which is her looking as generic as it gets without any inspiration from her cultural roots other than fireyness which is also as generic as it gets.
    I know but what can you do. Her regular depictions are not something I'd want to design myself tho so we need a compromise. I still think she should've been a guardian or mage but they think "X role hasn't had a character in months so we need that role no matter the god." Even her bio says she's a goddess of fire, volcanoes, wind and lightning (not sure on wind) and we getting just fire cause god forbid a character uses multiple elements. I'd assume multi-elements would make skins hard but Idc.

I just hope she's an ability assassin or a hybrid cause I'd hate getting a steroid that gives extra damage/AS and a dash which lets face it, she's prob gonna have due to that Alt Mode art and weapon :/

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 553
    Achievements:
    Veteran Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Party Person Discussion Ender
    Why does she have to be in heels. >.>

Its really sad how after six years of this game being worked on, they still can't get interesting or unique female designs right while they have no problem with the men. She also follows the same cookie-cutter clothing design that a handful of other female gods have. I don't understand why its so hard for them to make women.

At least Baron looks cool.
    Last edited by Goobis; 05-27-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    Your Local Resident Trash Doggo
    I'm cheating on Anubis, Camazotz is in the dumpster now.

Senior Member Prestigious zecleria's Avatar
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SovereignSky View Post
    I know but what can you do. Her regular depictions are not something I'd want to design myself tho so we need a compromise. I still think she should've been a guardian or mage but they think "X role hasn't had a character in months so we need that role no matter the god." Even her bio says she's a goddess of fire, volcanoes, wind and lightning (not sure on wind) and we getting just fire cause god forbid a character uses multiple elements. I'd assume multi-elements would make skins hard but Idc.

I just hope she's an ability assassin or a hybrid cause I'd hate getting a steroid that gives extra damage/AS and a dash which lets face it, she's prob gonna have due to that Alt Mode art and weapon :/
    theres nothing wrong with her original descriptions, and the issue is not that they did not stuck to those completely. the issue is they have nothing on her that represents her roots.
    You may think all gods have huge amounts of courage, but only xbalanque has the balls to use them as weapons.

0.3 instead of 30% again.
    dont skip school kids.
    How to make arguments on forum:if you cant win an argument, call the other side trolls. Always works