Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Current Meta?

Junior Member Cupidhead Aerdrie's Avatar
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points

Current Meta?

It seems like Smite is trying to borrow the meta from the game Paragons, where any god can essentially do any role. Personally, I hate this ideology. I have been playing this game for years, and I feel that right now meta is at the worst place it's ever been. I am curious what everyone else's opinion on this is though.

Senior Member Chosen
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Second Class
    I feel it is entirely inaccurate. I am incapable of seeing how izanami can play support, or how zues can do support, or rama can do support.

There are a lot of gods who can not do support. Even if I'm doing double hunter in duo lane, we at least use ability hunters with some CC.

Also gods like zues do not work as frontliners at all.

I do think that all gods should have some versatility though, and not stuck only ever being able to do one thing. For instance being able to support, adc, and solo depending on your build is never a bad thing.

Senior Member Infamous Outso187's Avatar
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 452
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor
    Not really. Solo laners are still secondary frontliners, and warriors/guardians do it best. ADC needs to have basic attack dmg and hunters obviously fit that best. Support needs either cc, tankiness or healing to be effective. Something like Nemesis would work poorly as support. Mid laners usually have good clear and bring aoe dmg, mages do it best but you can play some assassins or warriors there too. Junglers need to have good ganks, either cc or burst is needed.

In general, solo is the most open role in the game, basically anything can work to some extent. Most other roles need certain things that not every god can provide.

Senior Member Honoured
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Conversation Starter Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points
    Solo laners are not secondary frontliners. Atm solo laners are usually way ahead in lvls/gold.

Smite have always been open for characters in untraditional roles. Much like any moba. I mean how often do you see Annie support in Lol? Isnt she a midlaner?
    Ive played all gods in all 3 different lanes. Its simply works, because different gods brings different strenghts.

Best troll ive done was Loki support, you have good clear and good kill potentiall.
    Last edited by Glorfindal; 05-16-2018 at 05:44 AM.

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 2,684
    Achievements:
    Veteran Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Party Person Discussion Ender
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorfindal View Post
    Solo laners are not secondary frontliners. Atm solo laners are usually way ahead in lvls/gold.
    Which changes nothing, because most of the time, solo-laners are Warriors/Guardians that are building bruiser.
    Your Local Resident Trash Doggo
    I'm cheating on Anubis, Camazotz is in the dumpster now.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerdrie View Post
    It seems like Smite is trying to borrow the meta from the game Paragons, where any god can essentially do any role. Personally, I hate this ideology. I have been playing this game for years, and I feel that right now meta is at the worst place it's ever been. I am curious what everyone else's opinion on this is though.
    I wouldn't say each god can do ANY role, but most can usually do two, which is the way it should be as it gives you options. And breaking the meta is FUN and can get you some cheesy wins as the opponent doesn't expect it and thus isn't used to having to counter it. For conquest examples:

ADC: Had a game where our ADC locked Loki. Our whole team thought it was going to be a disaster and was all "F6 at 10". Much to our surprise, our Loki completely DESTROYED the enemy duo and won us the game at around 21 and 5 or something like that. We were all speechless, but couldn't deny that it worked.

Support: Another time our support locked in as Ne Zha and we were all like "Ok...? I guess...? Maybe it can work...?" It worked and it worked very well, he was quite good and ulting the enemy but leaving them with just a sliver of health so the ADC could take the kill and get fed. Enemy seemed quite impressed with it in the aftergame lobby too.

Jungle: Another time we had a Ymir Jungler which had everybody groaning until he finished the game 22 and 3 or pretty close to it. He knew when to gank and set up kills beautifully for us; that was actually the first time I thought guardians could potentially fun. (Sadly I was never able to get it to work for me, and still find guardians to be boring to play to this day.)

Solo: While not in any games I've played, I've watched youtube vids where assassin solos like Thana, Thor, and Rat worked pretty well. The Thantos one in particular was awesome; while they didn't win it was pretty clear he was carrying their team.

Support: I've seen double hunter in place of a support work quite well numerous times, especially if they both have good waveclear and escapes. Just recently I was Izanami ADC with a "support" Neith, and while the rest of my team didn't take it too well she ended up doing all right and was able to hold the lane and push tower by herself while I took out objectives and helped gank as needed. I guess that maybe makes me more of the "support" but either way we won so I'd say it was a success.

Moral of the story: Just because it's not meta doesn't mean it sucks. And especially for casuals, if somebody wants to try something "out there" let them at it and see if it works, you might learn something. I prefer playing mage supports as opposed to guardians which usually gets me a lot of hate, but it works for me and is way more fun than being boring tank to boot. If you want meta that bad stick to ranked, otherwise shut up and let people have fun.
    I'm a NA mid main on PC looking for a team for conquest or ranked joust. I usually play nights CST time; message me if you think I'd be a good fit. No trash talkers please.

Senior Member Infamous Outso187's Avatar
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 452
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiagirl View Post
    -snip-
    Mage support is actually meta, ofc depends which mage but Hel, Aphro work somewhat well and Nox is better as support than any other role. Loki on any role should get everybody groaning, since he is the 2nd worst god in the game. Ymir jung, Zha support are just fine and basically anything works on solo as long as you build correctly (not full damage).

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 366
    Achievements:
    3 months registered Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points
    The meta is tank Loki no other way to play the game.

Senior Member Honoured
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Conversation Starter Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by kingasce13 View Post
    The meta is tank Loki no other way to play the game.
    You mean cabrakan right?

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outso187 View Post
    Mage support is actually meta, ofc depends which mage but Hel, Aphro work somewhat well and Nox is better as support than any other role. Loki on any role should get everybody groaning, since he is the 2nd worst god in the game. Ymir jung, Zha support are just fine and basically anything works on solo as long as you build correctly (not full damage).
    Those are the mage supports I use (usually aphro or nox, sometimes hel or change) but man do people RAGE when they don't get a guardian, even if we already have one in solo or we have an extra warrior for a jungler. See exhibit A:

http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...l=1#post917983

Quote Originally Posted by Chiagirl View Post
    And once again issues with people who cant stand anything that isn't meta. Casual conquest, I was the last to call so get stuck with support. I opt for Aphro which has worked well before, our ADC requests a guardian instead. I mention I'm terrible with guardians (very true as I never play them because they're super boring) but can switch to Nox support instead if he'd prefer (which has also worked out very well despite not being "meta"). Guys rages at me and tells me to take ADC and he'll support instead. Fine whatever, I pick Izanami. Guy rages at me the whole game about being trash and that I should stick to bots despite the fact I ended the game with 0 deaths and took and half their objectives BY MYSELF (we won BTW). I tell him this is causal and it's meant to be for fun; I was perfectly willing to play support, just not with a guardian as it's not fun for me. I told him by his logic if he insists on a guardian he should be playing ranked since it's the more serious mode, at which point he threatens to leave the game and report me despite the fact I've said nothing rude while he's the one harassing me. I reported him afterwards but I shouldn't be running across nearly as many of these people as I do, because to quote a popular Disney movie: "If you can't say something nice, don't saying anything at all". I can't believe these people haven't been banned for harassment before this point, and the fact that they haven't has a lot to do with why new players never stick with this game. (And here's a hint, half the reason matchmaking is so bad is because there isn't a large enough of a player base to work with. Those new players are never going to get better if people like that scare them all away before they truly get a chance to start.)

That particular game we already had an Artio in the solo lane but apparently I still MUST play guardian because "Mages are not support". And when our ADC made me switch with him because I refused, said Sylvanus actively tried to get me killed as "punishment" by never healing me or providing any sort of peel for me (though he was perfectly happy to help everyone else on the team) and instead just verbally abused me the whole match. And it's not like this is an isolated incident, I'd say going non guardian support gets this kind of reaction at least 75% of the time, probably even higher. Hell, just yesterday I believe my team had another Ne Zha support, and the other three members of our team all wanted to report him for greifing simply because he didn't pick a guardian, despite the fact his actual play wasn't that bad. I reported them for harassing the poor guy, but the point remains that if you branch out even slightly from what people expect you get verbally abused, and people shouldn't have to put up with that especially since Hi Rez seems to take abuse reports the least seriously out of all the report types.
    Last edited by Chiagirl; 05-22-2018 at 01:41 AM.
    I'm a NA mid main on PC looking for a team for conquest or ranked joust. I usually play nights CST time; message me if you think I'd be a good fit. No trash talkers please.