Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does losing Xbox Gold stop you from accessing the store?

Junior Member Cupidhead MidknightTiger's Avatar
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 726
    Achievements:
    Veteran 1000 Experience Points 31 days registered

Question Does losing Xbox Gold stop you from accessing the store?

I got a bit of a predicament right now I need some answers to that I hope maybe the community can help me with instead of having to hit up the Hi-Rez Support services to question.

I am going to be participating in the Divine Uprising event, I got it all lined up and ready to go, but I do got a bit of an issue, along the way my Xbox Gold is gonna drop out sometime in June, and honestly I don't really got the extra budget to factor in a fast grab of a 25$ 3 month card for gold and whatnot without basically compromising my budget for the Divine Uprising event.

So question is, does losing gold simply stop you from playing Smite or does it literally block you entry to the game or can you still access the homepage and store features? cause I need to know so I can try to figure something out or plan ahead.

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Conversation Starter Veteran
    I would have to know what "Xbox Gold" entails for me to be able to help you. It shouldn't though, if it does stop feeding a system that punishes you. I mean Smite is a completely free game.

Senior Member Honoured
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaveana View Post
    I would have to know what "Xbox Gold" entails for me to be able to help you. It shouldn't though, if it does stop feeding a system that punishes you. I mean Smite is a completely free game.
    lol. It pays off the gatekeeper so you can play your games online. It does nothing else but give you access to your own internet connection.

and if I had to guess, no, you probably can't even launch the game without gold but maybe the store is detached from the game somehow. Again... guessing... I don't have a shitbox. I mean I do, just not a shitboxone. I have the original shitbox somewhere.

Achievements:
    Idk, there's been a lot of games that are actually F2P without Xbox Gold, I'm just curious if it effects Smite, just a possible worry, I mean Smite's a F2P game through and through and Xbox Gold does honor that sometimes.

Achievements:
    I think it may, just unsure, Xbox Gold/Xbox Live has gotten more lenient on the "Gate" as the man/woman below says, Fortnite is F2P and I heard people are playing it without gold so I mean, maybe it will allow me to get to Smite still.

I'm just asking cause I figured maybe someone has had an experience with this before.

Senior Member Chosen RandomToon's Avatar
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 804
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    It does not prevent access to the store, and you can log in, but without Gold you can not play multiplayer games. Gold is a requirement to play Smite against people. You will be restricted to bot only game modes, like Jungle Practice. This is as of last October when my gold expired in the middle of the night and I needed to get a new card in the morning. Perhaps something has changed since then, but I doubt it.
    Remember The Manticore

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Conversation Starter Veteran
    $25 every month for 5 years is $1,500, enough to buy a decent computer from scratch and take back your dignity.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaveana View Post
    $25 every month for 5 years is $1,500, enough to buy a decent computer from scratch and take back your dignity.
    How much do you think a gold subscription costs?
    Remember The Manticore

Senior Member Honoured
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomToon View Post
    How much do you think a gold subscription costs?
    well. its not 25 a month, its something like 25 for 3 months or maybe 60 for a year... but, whatever it is, its still over the $0 you should have to pay.

If they are becoming more lenient its because their customer base is becoming more aggressive/hostile about it and they are forced to offer additional incentives to keep their online count healthy enough that multiplayer titles don't almost immediately fail to capture enough of a player base and then "collapse". They would just as soon remove gold as a requirement before they let their multiplayer population dwindle too far.

They are charging you for something that if you didn't actually pay it, and nobody went online, then their entire system would actually fail or outright suffer for it because the perception would be that "the xbox is dying" due to "dwindling player base" and the developers would be less likely to focus on the xbox as a development target, especially for multiplayer games.

xbox "gold" membership is bullshit at any price.

but hey. Apparently they fixed it so you can buy shit without being a member (how grateful of them), so... there is that. I guess.

Achievements:
    Yeah...it IS free if you do it right. I have not paid for gold in about 5 years.
    Remember The Manticore