Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Official] Match Making Update

Senior Member Prestigious GongsunYiru's Avatar
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,026
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor Repped! Third Class Discussion Ender
    Awards:
    Guru

[Official] Match Making Update

I'm making these [Official] threads whenever HiRez does not communicate official information to the SMITE forums (which is a lot), so...

Quote Originally Posted by HiRezStew
    This is always the hottest topic in the SMITE community, so I wanted to give you an update on our progress with SMITE match making.

Over the last 7 weeks, our platform team has been running on and off experiments with the SMITE Match Maker. These changes have only been implemented within certain regions and queues at certain times -- most of the time, we have been running the normal match manager. But we've done enough to capture a lot of data.

While we continuously tweak the matchmaking engine (despite what people might think!), the changes being tested in these experiments are much larger than normal, and much more than just "tweaks". Probably the largest changes we have tried in several years with the match manager.

All of these match-making systems require PHD-level mathematics behind them -- and these latest experiments use some very cutting-edge techniques that had done very well in our simulation testing. (All of these algorithms need real-world testing, though, before you know if they are really good).

Despite our best efforts, though, we are not yet satisfied with the results of these tests and are not ready to turn on this new system for all users and queues.

What we have found so far in this new system, in a nutshell is:

• The system is much faster and better at making good matches for the vast majority of users (i.e., the vast majority of us that are within one or two standard deviations of "average").
    • However, the system is actually doing a slightly worse job in the real world of making better matches for the "elite of the elite" -- the very best players that are in the top 1% or 2% of the player population. To be frank, this is the group that has historically complained the loudest around the match maker -- and we were hoping to see more progress with this group.

Matchmaking in some ways is all about who gets the pain. Given a particular population and maximum wait times, you can prove mathematically that even with a perfect algorithm, the sum of "badness" in matches will be X, and that X will be non-zero. X badness reduces with more population or longer wait times. The goal of a good MM is to get as close to X as possible (i.e., to get the best result possible with the population you have, which may still be imperfect). But also you choose which types of parties are more likely to suck it as you spread out the bad matches. We recognize this and already use a number of techniques to help make the "elite" matches better (one reason why the very best players have to wait significantly longer for matches than us mere mortals).

The good news is that the team working on this has a variety of ideas on how to better solve this problem, and early simulations are promising. We have some extremely smart people working on this that make my head spin with crazy ass math I could never comprehend. We'll keep you updated as they make progress. (But, to set expectations, it is a hard problem to solve).

Remember that while SMITE has a very healthy population, we are dividing that population between Xbox, PC, PS4 and then between North America, Europe, N LatAm, S LatAm, Brazil, OCE, and SEA. And then between Arena, Joust 3v3, Assault, MOTD, Conquest, Conquest Ranked, Clash, Siege, and more. And then the average match time is, say, 30 minutes, which means that only 3% of your population in that region on the queue on that platform join the queue each minute. And then even among those --> there are wide ranges of skills that need to be accommodated.

It's a much tougher problem than it sounds, and perfection is not really attainable -- it's all a matter of degrees. Our goal is to get continually better and we are committed to that goal.

Keep in mind as well that, compared to other MOBAs, SMITE has many more successful gamemodes. This is part of what makes the game special, but it does increase the match making challenge.

Conquest is actually the 3rd most popular mode in the game (Arena and Joust 3v3 are both more popular), and, of course, only a sliver of the Conquest population plays ranked. All of this does make the match-making problem challenging.

Again--the good news is that we have very smart people actively working on it. Will keep you updated as they progress.

EDIT: See chart of matches by queue. Note that playtime (amount of time in matches) varies from this look as some queues have more people per match and have longer match length.

-Stew
    (Originally posted by HiRezStew)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 270
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Conversation Starter Veteran
    "Ranked is so popular hue hue hue more popular than arena hue."

Senior Member Chosen
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Second Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaveana View Post
    To be fair arena games are shorter, so there could be less arena players while still having more arena queues. Also not sure how it takes into account when a queue is put together and then someone declines the match. So it isn't an entirely accurate portrayal of popularity, and then there are people who multi queue.

Senior Member Infamous Outso187's Avatar
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 452
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaveana View Post
    Who said that?

Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 460
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Thanks for the headsup. I just had a read over the steam reviews and like, every second negative review is about matchmaking.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Vdrift's Avatar
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 100 Experience Points 7 days registered
    Huh, so this is why Siege takes a while to find me a few games sometimes. Well, I still enjoy Siege, so I do not mind the wait. But an update on Match making is still always nice.

Senior Member Prestigious GongsunYiru's Avatar
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,026
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor Repped! Third Class Discussion Ender
    Awards:
    Guru
    HiRez has looked at removing certain game modes.

Quote Originally Posted by HiRezStew
    [...] We've talked about ways to consolidate/remove Clash & Siege but hopefully still appease the population. The thing is -- there is a sizable group of people that play the hell out of these modes. Something we are looking at for S6, but no promises.
    (Source)

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Vdrift's Avatar
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 100 Experience Points 7 days registered
    Quote Originally Posted by GongsunYiru View Post

(Source)
    Aw man... I truly hope they don't remove it. But not much I can do if they do remove it.

Senior Member Chosen
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Second Class
    I also enjoy Siege, i don't care for Clash though

Super Moderator Godlike RainbowSplat's Avatar
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 289
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Quote Originally Posted by GongsunYiru View Post

(Source)
    Why remove Clash i like that mode so much lol it feels closest to Conquest i would understand Siege and Duel also i cant believe Joust is so played i personally hate that mode its so garbage
    *Disclaimer: I am a volunteer moderator. I work on best judgement and do not speak on behalf of Hi-Rez Studios.*