Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Solo lane guardians

New Member Cupidhead Coldeath00's Avatar
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 386

Solo lane guardians

Are there some guardians that work in solo?
    I was thinking about Cerberus, Kuzenbo or Xing Tian.
    (Sorry for my bad english)

Senior Member Prestigious Outso187's Avatar
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,117
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor
    Cerberus works best on solo, Sobek.

Senior Member Prestigious LuxInterior's Avatar
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,398
    Achievements:
    Party Person Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Tagger First Class! Repped! Second Class
    You can try anything in casuals until you feel safe to move it to ranked.

Guardians have a few advantages over warriors on solo lane:

1. They're unexpected. Your enemy maybe won't know how to react.
    2. Since your enemy will be forced to buy magical defense, they won't be able to tower dive efficiently, while you can, from building against them.
    3. They tend to have stronger CC and team buffs/debuffs than warriors.
    4. Natural magical defenses are lower. Magical pen itens are thus stronger and you can build for squishy killing without compromising your defense too much. Particularly if you can build Spear of the Magus and do true damage.
    5. In other hand, guardians also generally benefit more than warriors from power. They can have pretty respectable scaling (the top ones are stronger than most mages) and magical power is easier to acquire.

But they have a few cons you have to be aware of:
    1. Their basic attacks suck. Solo warriors tend to enter slap fights with basics. You just can't win with a guardian. I lost my lane a few times against guys who bought just boots — while I was building damage and they weren't, still I would lose any trade if they got too close.
    2. Guardians tend to have longer cooldowns than warriors and that adds up to the disadvantage of having bad basics.

The one guardian that seems to be planned for solo is Cerberus. He has superb clear and sustain. His defense debuff makes him very, very dangerous and bullish early and his stun messes up many warriors' clear. He's also a great all-around squishy killer. Shaman's Ring is really nasty when coupled with his defense debuff.

Sobek is another safe solo pick from his sustain (way lesser than Cerb). Fafnir got his clear butchered, but still has his sustain move and full mage scaling while keeping a defensive passive. Kuzenbo has a pretty decent clear and his sumo slam is nasty when you can force them through minions - the reflect, while really weak against tankish enemies, can tip the scales at low health. I think Terra can work well too - she even has less sucky basics.
    Last edited by LuxInterior; 05-07-2018 at 04:42 AM.
    Learn Smite with tough love on my #SargeSeries
    Motörheads is recruiting! Sign up here

Senior Member Honoured Ravensaurus's Avatar
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Veteran 5000 Experience Points
    I'd like to only add the fact that Xing Tian is a pretty good solo as well, since he can distrupt clear, has built in HP5 and butchers the stronger basics of warriors. Lux seemed to forgot about the Bellyman.
    What's the matter, afraid of the dark?!

Mind you give me some chips with that ammount of salt you have?
    Mmmmm... So good!

Official Kuzenbo cultist, reptile nerd, snake lady lover.

Senior Member Chosen RandomToon's Avatar
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    There are quite a few that work.

Sobek
    Cerberus
    Ymir
    Xing Tian
    Kuzenbo
    Terra
    Artio

No particular order.

I have also seen Sylvanus do OK in there, as well as Khepri. Both WILL lose their T1 tower, but they are more for the later game contribution. I think they are some of the weaker choices, but just saying I have seen it.

Athena also works because of her ult - ult over to contribute to a fight, teleport back to lane to not lose any farm or take tower hits.
    Last edited by RandomToon; 05-08-2018 at 11:05 AM.
    Remember The Manticore

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 3,497
    Achievements:
    Veteran Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Party Person Discussion Ender
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravensaurus View Post
    I'd like to only add the fact that Xing Tian is a pretty good solo as well, since he can distrupt clear, has built in HP5 and butchers the stronger basics of warriors. Lux seemed to forgot about the Bellyman.
    Will lose to pretty much any mid-tier Guardian/Warrior solo.

Has tankiness, but has no self-sustain or clear to compete with other solo laners.

Cerberus, Sobek, Artio can also all interrupt his Belch clear.
    Your Local Resident Trash Doggo
    I'm cheating on Anubis, Camazotz is in the dumpster now.

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 467
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 1 year registered 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Quote Originally Posted by Goobis View Post
    Will lose to pretty much any mid-tier Guardian/Warrior solo.

Has tankiness, but has no self-sustain or clear to compete with other solo laners.

Cerberus, Sobek, Artio can also all interrupt his Belch clear.
    Xing Tian doesn't have good clear, but Sobek does? He doesn't have sustain, but Sobek does? Because that's the implication I'm getting from this.

And you need to read Xing ahead of time and get lucky as hell to interrupt Furious Roar because it's not a long-ass channel.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Senior Member Chosen RandomToon's Avatar
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKeksalot View Post
    Xing Tian doesn't have good clear, but Sobek does? He doesn't have sustain, but Sobek does? Because that's the implication I'm getting from this.

And you need to read Xing ahead of time and get lucky as hell to interrupt Furious Roar because it's not a long-ass channel.
    Sobek doesn't have GOOD clear, he has SAFE clear. Reason is Sobek can just kill the creeps in lane without fear of being pushed under tower because he can pluck the enemy under tower if they try to get aggressive. He can do that every wave starting at level 2. Sobek also has anti heal at level 1, so can reduce the sustain on enemies that they always go for. XT can only tower punish at level 5 every so often, which gives Sobek the edge.

Sobek also has a heal - XT has his passive, so they are a close wash but remember the anti heal on Sobek gives him the edge. BUT, everyone forgets that Sobek ult gives him, like SO MUCH mana. He is one of the very few gods in the game with a mana heal.
    Last edited by RandomToon; 05-08-2018 at 11:44 AM.
    Remember The Manticore

Senior Member Chosen
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    I actually thought sobek's clear was pretty good of you build for that(obviously if you go full defense his clear will be wretched). I wouldn't say he is safe though, i play Zhong Kui solo and I'd easily push a Sobek under tower without having to worry about getting plucked. Terra might have even less cause to worry (does her passive stop Sobek's pluck?) Chang'e can do the same, though there are drawbacks to having her solo if you aren't having a warrior jungle.

His mana sustain is great, but you'd still need to build mana if you don't want to run out. It just makes him less reliant on blue buff.

Senior Member Honoured
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    you can play a guardian anywhere you want. The question you should ask is why you would want to.

They do well in the first 10-20 minutes of the game, but then they just start falling flat and its almost impossible to pull them out of that nose dive.

Thats mostly because they arbitrarily scale less damage. They have a disadvantage (weak scaling) that makes damage weaker (forever) but they don't have an advantage that makes armor better (ever); any character can build armor and be just as effective with it as they can, but they can't build damage and be just as effective with it as others... and resistances soft cap, which further dilutes any advantage they might have, because the reduced damage scaling was in exchange for base defensive stats - which just push you up into the cap sooner and then you don't ever recover the lost damage.

Damage does not have a soft cap so the "base stats" of the damage classes don't push them up into a cap sooner, and in turn, they get more value out of their base stats.

They need increased auto attack scaling or give them increased damage from resistances or some way to recover cooldowns faster in combat; they need some way to scale into late game before anyone even starts to give a shit if one is fed.