Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Soul Eater

Senior Member Honoured NervousCrysis's Avatar
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 741
    Achievements:
    Conversation Starter 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points

Soul Eater

I think that after a lot of tweaks, Soul Eater has finally become an interesting item with a clear goal, as opposite to the past when I felt the item got changed aimlessly. The current stats and effects it has are OK to me now, but I think it still needs a boost. I propose to buff its base lifesteal from 10% to 15% and the passive ability lifesteal, from 10 to 20%. In my opinion, the concept is nice and every stat is pretty good in the state it is except for the lifesteal, which is the key aspect of the item and what makes it be in that tree but is still too weak. The base 10% LS is too low for an ADC or ADC style god and also is that from the passive: most of the gods have only 4 abilities and usually not all deal damage. You should be able to get a decent chunk of health back as your full kit goes on CD. 10% LS would be a nice percentage if you were able to use abilities very often, but that's not usually the case, so I believe Soul Eater should get this lifesteal empowered.

To sum up, Soul Eater is not in a better spot for the lifesteal. Buff the lifesteal.
    Last edited by NervousCrysis; 05-02-2018 at 04:54 PM.
    We are not here to entertain you. We are not here to get entertained. We fight, but we are not here to win... Or lose. We are here... To feed.

Senior Member Chosen
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    I think it is alright, do you happen to know if aoe abilities only get 1/3 healing from the 10% lifesteal currently or not? If the abilities only heal for 1/3 like bellona's cleaves then bumping it up to 20% would be nice, otherwise 10% is plenty.

I want a new item to come out that is essentially the old soul eater though(builds stacks, when life gets low uses stacks for a burst heal). I miss the old soul eater, it was a great sustain item and the burst heal worked as a replacement defense option. It gave attack speed, movement, lifesteal and a burst heal when you needed it. What's not to like?

Achievements:
    Typically physical abilities don't cover that much area, so I don't know about hitting several targets but I don't think it's enough anyway. Most assassins and hunters are single-target and they are which are getting this item. It would be a nice thing to know about it but considering the nature of the gods that usually would build it, I don't think it matters that much. Also, assassins don't go for lifesteal often. I barely see Soul Eater and when I do is on ADCs, and if assassins don't tend to have big AoE, it goes worse for ADC, that in addition don't build as much power as assassins do, and don't have such good base numbers neither, so taking that all into account, I think 10% is pretty much objectively ridiculous. What would be the problem with it if not to not get bought almost at all? The power and the CD is very good for the price, and the stacks are easy to get. The biggest problem is arguably the lifesteal. If you want power, there are items with more power. If you want CD, there items with more CD. And if you want lifesteal, there are items with more lifesteal. But if you want a mix of all and you don't go for SE it's because you need a more reliable source of lifesteal, since the rest is enough. I don't think it can't be doubted that 60 power + 10% CD + 200 mana for 2300 gold is good, but 10% lifesteal even if it's from both AA and abilities? Meh. Any other lifesteal item is better, pump up that from Soul Eater or just remove it and give it something that makes it better.

They were unable to balance the old Soul Eater and I don't think they will ever release it again, no matter under what name.
    Last edited by NervousCrysis; 05-02-2018 at 06:36 PM.
    We are not here to entertain you. We are not here to get entertained. We fight, but we are not here to win... Or lose. We are here... To feed.

Senior Member Chosen
    Achievements:
    Well I'll often clear an entire minion wave with just Medusa's spit, so if it isn't only 1/3 healing 10% is already plenty right there. Doubling it would be a pretty mighty heal every wave. Again, if it IS only 1/3 then definitely bump it up to 20% otherwise you lose a lot of healing from clearing a wave with your abilities(which makes you wonder what the point is in having the passive).

Another thing to think about is stuff like Mercury's 1. It counts as a basic attack and benefits from regular lifesteal. Would it also trigger ability procs including soul eater's passive? If it already does both then it already gets a total of 20% lifesteal from soul eater. Therefore such a change would make his 1 have 35% lifesteal just from soul eater.

Achievements:
    Mercury's 1 counts entirely as basic attack. Skills like that don't trigger ability effects.

Achievements:
    Well I forgot that you could heal from minions as well. I don't know why I thought it only applied to gods. Anyway, that makes it viable in the laning phase but pretty much useless in teamfight unless you can hit multiple gods with a big area, what many physical can't.

Senior Member Chosen
    Achievements:
    Cu chulainn hits multiple gods with his damage aura, and soul eater gives him a continual heal from it. Not that it matters, just something to think about.

Regardless lifesteal has always mattered most during the laning phase. During team fights it is nice and all but 10% isn't going to cut it on any god, and with antiheal being so common nowadays lifesteal means even less in a fight than it used to.

Senior Member Chosen
    Achievements:
    An alternative would be to change its passive from giving 10% ability lifesteal, to just letting lifesteal affect abilities. That way all your built lifesteal affects abilities.

Maybe people would think it is a must buy for lifesteal then like how Typhon's is considered a must buy on Anubis, but i don't think it would. It would probably need a price increase though and since it is an item i like for the stats already I'd rather not make it more expensive...

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by damienmc90 View Post
    Cu chulainn hits multiple gods with his damage aura, and soul eater gives him a continual heal from it. Not that it matters, just something to think about.

Regardless lifesteal has always mattered most during the laning phase. During team fights it is nice and all but 10% isn't going to cut it on any god, and with antiheal being so common nowadays lifesteal means even less in a fight than it used to.
    I heard about Cu Chulainn but it is a case of few and the lifesteal from that ability must be less than irrelevant. I pretty much agree with the rest.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by damienmc90 View Post
    An alternative would be to change its passive from giving 10% ability lifesteal, to just letting lifesteal affect abilities. That way all your built lifesteal affects abilities.

Maybe people would think it is a must buy for lifesteal then like how Typhon's is considered a must buy on Anubis, but i don't think it would. It would probably need a price increase though and since it is an item i like for the stats already I'd rather not make it more expensive...
    That would be interesting, but then SE should get a boost on the base lifesteal since I don't think that many want to invest into many physical lifesteal items to make profit of the passive. They are way less cost-effective than magical.
    Last edited by NervousCrysis; 05-03-2018 at 04:01 AM.