Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where are the tanks?

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Angyalmaci's Avatar
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 433
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class

Exclamation Where are the tanks?

Since I mainly play arena, I can speak of that gamemode, but don't forget that it's basically a conquest late-game teamfight simulator with a wider area. Don't come w the "conquest is the main gamemode". If something in arena's lategame teamfights lacks something, it is definitely missing from conq as well.

Time to report it, many of us faced the issue that no tank cuts it in teamfights. Either it is because changes in guardian items, base stats, or mechanism of how armor points work, or just other damage dealers got buffed more than tanks can handle it.

Let me give you some examples:

-Ares dies while ultying. Havent seen one make it into a succesful grabbing since winter. God partially disappeared from conq and clash, and completely disappeared from arena. For a reason. His dmg was fairly nerfed, but his endurance was low enough already a season ago. Now he just dies and does no damage.

-Nike: a warrior though, but saw them try to resurrect her. Everyone failed. She is basically useless, she used to make a good tanky bruiser. Now everyone I've seen including me regretted playing her.

-Bacchus does his jumps, difference is that he dies after doing it. Can't land well placed ults anymore, he dies pretty fast.

-Geb: has as much health and armor as a mage. With his abilities, he's useless as a guardian, more of a hit-n-run magic power user.

-Sylvanus: In arena, noone plays him anymore.

-Fafnir: no more dragon jumping. Dies instantly if he dives. Gets chosen but they regret it ingame.

-Ymir: stuns then runs, cant be used to swallow hits anymore. Ult is useless because he cant handle the hits.

-Hades: http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...pened-to-Hades says it all. Useless. Noone uses him, except for nostalgia.

-Terra: http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...001-Terra-Buff Can swallow hits, but can't do anything else. Sort of a ghost character who buffs you, but does no action.
    http://forums.smitegame.com/showthread.php?176114-Terra

-Sobek: he's my favourite, but honestly haven't played him since winter. Saw him die everytime he dives or ults into crowds, no point in picking him anymore. Noone else really uses him, either. His passive is laughable.

-Osiris: I suggest Hirez take down the "high defense" from his description. He either dies fast, has no cc and does damage, or he goes tanky, dies a bit slower, still has no cc and has 0 damage. Noone plays him either.

Most of these characters' ults were based around teamfights, mass crowd control, area damage, and all the stuff a teamfight really loves. Now they are rather useless. They can't handle being in the center of attention. What's the worst is that teams can now focus guardians and get away with it, because tanks die off pretty fast and can't do damage anyways. That was a tactical mistake a year ago as taking down a guardian or tank took time. Time and bad focusing took its toll, reasonably. Now it's all fun and games for the killers.

I've played guardians mainly for 4 years now, and I haven't seen them being this unpopular and this ineffective ever. Also I've never seen tanks die this many times ever.
    Many teams I ve encountered hated and blamed their tanks because he/she died a lot, and I've encountered people, too, who themselves chose the tank role and gave up tanking midgame, because they realized their character could not handle it either early or lategame. It is basically an obligatory pick, because of their wide selection of cc-s, but they are no longer useful as melee, many of their abilities are obsolete in this season.

This is not okay to the slightest.
    Last edited by Angyalmaci; 04-26-2018 at 05:04 PM.
    Why do cows wear bells?
    Because their horns don't work.

Senior Member Infamous Outso187's Avatar
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor
    It's arena. It's brainless button mashing anyway. Who needs tanks?

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Angyalmaci's Avatar
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 433
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class
    Can't decide if you're being sarcastic or you have never played arena yet.
    It's the same game. Team balance is global, team fights occur everywhere, it even has the same amount of people like in conquest. I started with just that to avoid redundant answers.
    Last edited by Angyalmaci; 04-26-2018 at 05:00 PM.
    Why do cows wear bells?
    Because their horns don't work.

Senior Member Infamous Outso187's Avatar
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Full Profile! Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor
    Neither.

Tanks just don't do anything in open area teamfights late game. It's different when fighting in jungle. And it's arena so no one cares and it doesn't matter anyway.

Also, let's make separate points on all gods you mentioned:

- Ares: If enemy team drops everything on ulting Ares, you win the teamfight cause they have nothing left.
    - Nike: Isn't even a main tank anyway.
    - Bacchus: Works just fine what I've seen. That passive makes him tanky af. If he fails with ult, that's on the player, not the god.
    - Geb: How f***ing tanky mages you see?
    - Sylvanus: Not the best for Arena anyway.
    - Fafnir: Don't jump in the middle of whole enemy team then.
    - Ymir: If he stuns, thats a kill.
    - Hades: Is a mage, ffs.
    - Terra: Especially with the new ult is performing well on arena.
    - Sobek: Hit your Pluck, its a kill. Miss it, you die everytime.
    - Osiris: There is literally no reason to play Osiris on Arena. He has always been bad there.
    Last edited by Outso187; 04-26-2018 at 06:00 PM.

Senior Member Honoured Wildstreak's Avatar
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 577
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Tagger Second Class 1 year registered
    OK, Arena and Tanks.
    With Season 5, here's the situation.

1 - Warriors are almost useless, don't bother unless you have sustain like Chaac and accept that you go in, burst damage/tank then run back to fountain. Not very pleasant. Amaterasu can work sometimes but you have to build and play like a Support instead of a Solo laner.

2 - Guardians actually do work so long as you have and utilize your CC to setup opponents for allies. Artio and Athena are my picks if I have to go Arena tank. Ymir, I just never figured how to use him so never touch that god unless Assault forces me to use him, once in a blue moon I still see a good Ymir, most of them though are allies who die a lot and/or put up walls that block allies helping opposition get kills. Seen good Bacchus, Kumba and Geb, just need a team to back you up. Also build lots of defenses but not the same build as used in Conquest, you have to make adjustments. Ares, do not bother unless there is somehow a second tank on your team by some blessed miracle and plenty of people know about Beads to escape your Ult so you have to learn to play and build around that. Terra I learned can be countered easy in this mode.

3 - With the changes to Mage items, definite when you go to lobby at least 2 people if not 3 pick Mages and usually 1 Assassin, sometimes Hunter, sometimes no.
    3A - You will see plenty of insta-lock Anubis.
    3B - You will see plenty of insta-lock Loki.
    3C - You will see plenty of insta-lock Mages.

4 - There are times when you can get a whole team of no tanks. Sometimes I just feel like running a non-tank because I am trying to Master gods up to X so I pick a non-tank and everyone else does too. Sometimes these no tank teams win, sometimes not depending on how well teams work together. When I do this, I usually can get Hunter, sometime Assassin but almost never a Mage, thanks insta-lockers.

5 - Season 4 Fall when I started, the best matches started out with both teams waiting for the other to make a move or look for an opening. Teams would face off dancing around looking for that one thing signaling to attack in a spot. Season 5 Spring, this is almost gone, now there are new people who just want to mindlessly dive in and fight expecting you to go with them and if you do not, the diver berates you and the team. Sucks the fun right out of it.

6 - A good number of Season 5 players seem to also ignore certain things. Ticket system, they don't care, gotta get that high KDA and whine about the team when you lose because no one focused minions OR everyone focuses minions to the point of ignoring the enemy AND ignore you when you say, "I'm building stacks." High KDA freaks don't care you try to farm minions for stacks, they take the farm so it takes longer to build stackable items, sucks for those mages building Warlock's Staff or Book of Thoth and Hunters working on Devos.

I am playing more Assault now, actually retried Joust after a few months off it and Clash. Come next month I may swear off Arena for the month because the only value to it is currently I get more chance of leveling up non-tank Hunters, sometimes Assassins. Assault is now ruled by peopel who want high KDAs and who do you pick for that? Hint: not tanks.

Arena, not as fun as it used to be.
    Last edited by Wildstreak; 04-26-2018 at 11:12 PM.

Senior Member Honoured Saerireth's Avatar
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 318
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Second Class
    Evidently you haven't played against a defensive artio or herc.

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 910
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    I play tank in arena probably 50% of my games and they work just fine. The thing is you should have two tanks in arena, one guardian and one warrior, most people seem to think solo tank works. It can work and it worked during s4 better but really you want 2 tanks to have a good arena team. There are some Gods that can still solo tank okish (ymir is not one of them), ares struggles to do so, herc does it just fine still.

Sobek is still one of the best arena Gods that you say differently surprises me, he can solo tank as his peel is so good and flexible.
    Rocking the boat

Senior Member Chosen GameVeteranAzure's Avatar
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 291
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points
    *coughDeathBoxcough* Ares and Odin
    Yeah...Right...Sure...And I'm The King of England!
    If it works in your favor, don't question it.
    Sacrifices had to be made.
    He who knows nothing, doubts nothing.
    Xbox GT: AlchemistAzure
    Smite IGN: MordridtheBlack

Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 3 months registered 1000 Experience Points
    In the current meta, its less fun going full tank build and more fun going bruiser build.

Senior Member Honoured Wildstreak's Avatar
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 577
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Tagger Second Class 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by loupblanc10kai View Post
    In the current meta, its less fun going full tank build and more fun going bruiser build.
    Depends on team comp god choice and items.
    I can also put a protection item or two on some Assassins and have them work as half-tanks.