Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: God Idea: Freyr, Chief of the Vanir

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead AustSiannodel's Avatar
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 342
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Full Profile!

God Idea: Freyr, Chief of the Vanir

This is an idea I've been working on for a new god Freyr, ruler of Alfheim, god of pleasure and properity, and brother to Freya. I am not great at balancing things like ranges, mana, cooldowns, and the like, so I would appreciate help from the community and staff (if available) to see if these are viable. I tried to make them balanced, but still powerful (more powerful versions of other gods' abilities but with less effects, etc) Feedback would be appreciated greatly. Thank you for your time and consideration.

"My Lord" a title that none other is more deserving of. When people pray for good fortune, plentiful crops, and happy lives, they offer it to none other then Freyr, Lord of Nature and Fertility. Born of Njord and brother of Freya, Freyr keeps to his own, deciding to not meddle in the wars and affairs of Gods, interested in his own personal... affairs instead.

One day, longing to see his sister's well being, Freyr climbed Hlidskjalf, the home to Odin's seat, and where one can see all of the nine worlds. While there, he had accidentally spoted a Giant maiden by the name of Gerda, Daughter of Gymer. His father, Njord, warned him that as fate decided, the only way he could win Gerda's hand, he must forgo that which he holds most dear. His sword, Sumarbrander. Unable to leave the Elves unprotected, he sent his ally Skirnir, to ask for her hand, and in return, gave Skirnir his weapon, promising his coming doom at the hands of Surt, who will wield Sumarbrander and kill Freyr with it, bringing upon the burning of the nine worlds.

But now, Freyr has forgone his passive ways, and has joined the battle of the Gods, in hopes of preventing the upcoming doom!

Title: Chief of the Vanir
    Pantheon: Norse
    Type: Melee, Magical
    Class: Mage
    Pros: High Sustain, High Crowd Control
    Difficulty: ???
    Stats
    Health: 380 (+67)
    Mana: 300 (+57)
    Speed: 355 (+0)
    Range: 20 (+0)
    Attack/Sec: 0.86 (+0.9%)
    Basic Attack
    Damage: 33 (+ 1.5) + 20% of Magical Power
    Progression: None
    Protection
    Physical: 9 (+2.6)
    Magical: 30 (+0.9)
    Regen
    HP5: 5 (+0.43)
    MP5: 5 (+0.45)

PASSIVE: Sword of Summer
    Freyr's basic attacks are done through his weapon, Sumarbrander. It has further reach then he has alone and can hit from farther away then would be normal for Melee gods, twice the length of melee range. Basic attacks deal additional damage scaling (1% Max Health per every stack of Hedonism)

1: Growth/Decay
    Freyr selects himself or an allied God, and grants them a blessing 5 seconds. This buff allows them to deal additional damage with their basic attacks and damaging abilities.
    -This Buff also grants the blessed with additional attack speed and movement speed based on his ultimate, Hedonism.

While in his Wither Stance, He instead fires a bolt of Decay, which stops at the first enemy god hit, dealing damage and debuffing them for a short duration.
    -This deal extra damage based on his Ultimate, Hedonism. This is granted to both the Blessed and Freyr

PROSPER: 7%/14%/21%/28%/35% of Freyr's Magical Power
    - 1%/1%/2%/2%/3% Movement speed and 1%/1%/1%/2%/2% Attack speed per stack of Hedonism

WITHER: 10%/15%/20%/25%/30% Slow for .5/1/1.5/2/2.5 seconds. 10/20/30/40/40/50 (+10% of your Magical Power) damage per .5 seconds for 5 seconds
    - Additional 1/2/3/4/5 (+1% Of your Magical Power) per Stack of Hedonism

Cost: 70/75/80/85/90 mana
    Cooldown: 8 seconds

2: Nature's Protection/Nature's Destruction
    While in Prosper stance, Freyr selects an allied God, and gives both him and the ally a small health shield that decays over time.
    - This shield increases with Hedonism Stacks

While in Wither, He instead selects an enemy God, making them take additional damage from all sources for 3 seconds.
    - This reduced protections based on Hedonism

PROSPER: Health Shield; 4%/8%/12%/16%/20% of Freyr's Maximum Health. Decay; 5% every .2 seconds for 5 seconds
    - Additional Shield health; 10/20/30/30/40/50 Health per Hedonism Stack

WITHER: 2%/4%/6%/8%/10% Additional damage
    - 1/2/3/4/5 Magical protection reduction per stack of Hedonism

Cost: 60/65/70/75/80 mana
    Cooldown: 16/15/14/13/12 seconds

3: Prosperity/Ruin
    Freyr Toggles this ability. While in Prosper Stance, he gives off an aura of healing to all allies in the raduis, at the expense of mana for every tick of healing done this way, minions costing less
    - grants additional healing based on Hedonism

While in Wither Stance, The Mana cost is constant while it is on. And instead, he gives off an aura of Ruin, reducing healing and applying Ruin stacks to enemies. If an enemy gets hit by Freyr's basic attacks with Ruin stacks, they take additional damage. Ruin stacks are applied once every ((1s or 2s)), capping out at 5 stacks
    - This strike can stun if at full Ruin stacks and full Hedonism

PROSPER: 5/10/15/20/25 (5% of your Magical Power) Healing per 1s while in radius.
    - Additional Healing; 1%/2%/3%/4%/5% Freyr's ((Max Health or Magical Power)) while at full stacks of Hedonism

WITHER: Healing reduction; 10%/15%/20%/25%/30%. Ruin Damage; 1%/1%/2%/2%/3% Freyr's Max Health per stack
    - At full Hedonism Stacks, Slow targets by 10%, and stun whoever gets hit by the full Ruin Stacks.

Cost: 10/12.5/15/17.5/20 mana per second

Ultimate: Hedonism
    STANCE CHANGE

PROSPER: Grants himself movement speed (2%/4%/6%/8%/10%)

WITHER: Grants himself Penetration (2/4/6/8/10)

Whenever Freyr gets and assist on minions, gods, jungle monsters,etc. He gains a stack of Hedonism, maxing out at 6, lasting for 10s. Each stack grants him Additional 100 Max Health. He cannot gain anymore health at max stacks, but getting more assists refreshes the duration.

I planned on him building Magical Power and Health items. His kit allows him to be a decent enough mid laner, but shine best as a support with his Ultimate's passive.
    Last edited by AustSiannodel; 06-02-2018 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Feedback and new art; Updating page

Senior Member Chosen GameVeteranAzure's Avatar
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 768
    Achievements:
    1 year registered Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points
    something you can take into consideration when making a god is; what god(s) can he/she be compared to? in terms of lane, role, etc.

by using gods that are already in the game as a comparison point you can tweak the small things like; how abilities function, how much damage they do, cool down rate, mana usage, etc.

that being said, I shall offer my opinion and possible tweaks for what you have created.

Passive - The idea behind the passive is interesting. However it is rather like you have basically made Freya 2.0, where instead of needing to rely on an ability cast to extend your attack range, it is just built in to be extended. The suggested fix here would be a brand new passive.

Ex: Summer's Edge - As Freyr swings his blade, Sumarbrander, it builds up heat. After 5 successful basic attacks against minions or Gods, the blade will ignite, dealing 10% of Freyr's max health and 10% of the enemies max health as bonus damage for the next 5s with each attack. The blade can not reignite again for another 10s.

1 - Having a buff is useful, however the numbers for the slow are way out of proportion. a 50% slow at max rank is ridiculous. Especially given this is only his first ability. Gods that often have slows that even come close to this have it on their Ultimate. Honestly the fix here would be to cut that slow in half the whole line down (5/10/15/20/25%). Otherwise this ability seems to be in a good place, aside from missing numbers (mana cost, cool down)

2 - I don't see any big glaring issues with this, again other than the lack of some numbers (mana cost, cool down)

3 - Cut the healing reduction down by half (5/10/15/20/25%) and put in the other numbers (mana cost, cool down) and you are set.

4 - This is fine as it sits, no changes needed other than as listed above, numbers (mana cost, cool down)
    Yeah...Right...Sure...And I'm The King of England!
    If it works in your favor, don't question it.
    Sacrifices had to be made.
    He who knows nothing, doubts nothing.
    Xbox GT: AlchemistAzure
    Smite IGN: MordridtheBlack

Achievements:
    Thank you for replying. I'm gonna give my reasons for what I put and what I like of your suggestions down below. These aren't a rejection, just returned feedback

As for who I'm comparing him to, I actually cross referenced the numbers with 3 gods. Hel, Fafnir, and Anubis. I took the average numbers they had for their abilites (the heals, the pen, the DoT, etc) and adjusted for NOT having the rest of the stats in the abilities/kit, even sometimes reducing it.

Passive - The reason for the extended melee range (and not making it a Ranged attack) is because in lore, the sword doesn't burst into flames, instead it fights on its own accord, flying at opponents. I believe that keeping the passives extended range is essential in the lore for this reason. But I do appreciate the idea for the build up of damage based on his max health (as I intended Freyr to be built with Power and Health items), I just couldnt figure out how I wanted the extra damage to go through. But don't think this is meant to be Freya 2.0 (which is funny because I'm a freya main lol) I just wanted to keep it in lore and have it have synergy with his 3. Keep in mind though, I don't mean for his range to be super long. just a bit longer then say Au Kuang, but shorter then all the other mages (think 1/3 the way between the two.) and it only hits the closest target.

His passive also serves another function too. Because his kit wants him to support a bit more, and it encourages HP and Power, not Def, it gives him a bit more safety. Just an idea

1- I can totally see why this is too much in retrospect, again I was comparing it other gods of similar rank, and while I cannot recall WHO i got these numbers from, I agree the slow is too high

3 - Tbh I got those numbers from a few gods, including Bacchus, who doesn't need to rank it up to get it to 50%. Maybe have it deal less Healing reduction at early and max out around say... 35% or 40%?

4 - I wanted the stacks from this to be rather pivotal in his kit, allowing for smart play. This passive is what makes him go from a good midlaner (possibly) to a better support mage, as he gets better ability stats from getting assists, instead of kills.

As for the numbers (Mana cost, range, Cooldown, etc) I have never done that and still learning to balance it and have no idea where to begin. If you, or anyone elsee, can offer suggestions i would be grateful.

Thank you for reading and replying with a well thought out reply.

Achievements:
    well if each ability is similar to one of your comparison points, then you can use numbers similar to that

otherwise if you don't, then find a God that could be a "rival" to Freyr and use that as your number point

you will want the numbers to be similar but enough different

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by GameVeteranAzure View Post
    well if each ability is similar to one of your comparison points, then you can use numbers similar to that

otherwise if you don't, then find a God that could be a "rival" to Freyr and use that as your number point

you will want the numbers to be similar but enough different
    So you're saying find someone and use their bases stats/mana/etc as a reference point? If that's the case it would most likely be Hel, perhaps, since she is also a stance change god. But I do agree the numbers are a bit wonky and take some of the uniqueness from the comparison gods, so I will work on balancing them further.

And what do you think of the Passive, more defined? Like I don't want his range to rival or be close to a ranged gods, just a bit longer, with something to make his chain more viable (he is not meant to be a Basic Attack god, just that his B. Attacks synergize with his kit)

If not Hel, who do you suggest a good comparison? I'll be working the math later when I have the time to see what I can do. Thank you, again, for replying.

Achievements:
    pretty much, I've done that with all but one of my god concepts (the one in question was a joke_)

and yeah that works. the way you had it worded before just immediately made me think; so Freya with her ability always active? sheesh that is broken

honestly i'm not sure who to recommend as a different god reference point. this is your design, so I have no idea what you were thinking of when you made the abilities. I could make a suggestion that would make zero sense.

if you need further ideas, here are the links to my 4 good concepts that are finished (and won't have any further changes done)

http://http://forums.smitegame.com/showthread.php?165828-Mab-Winter-s-Queen

http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...therworld-King

http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...dy-of-the-Lake

http://forums.smitegame.com/showthre...ery-Song-Smith

Achievements:
    Thank you very much, you've given me a lot to consider. I do hope more people come and leave comments and advice, or whether or not they like the idea, as this is my first full on submission (I did a half assed one long ago lol).

Should I edit the initial post once I make my changes?

Achievements:
    I'm not sure if anyone else will pop in. the forums are kind of dead for the most part.

and yeah once you have all the changes figured out, just edit them into the original post

Achievements:
    I've edited the layout, added in pictures, and put in stats. Mostly I just took Hel's stat's, changing for the ability being used. I can't really balance them well without playing him and I can't do that haha. Thank you to those that gave advice, and anyone else that may come to offer their thoughts

Achievements:
    balancing a God is always a tad difficult.

a good way to think on it is look at the numbers for the reference God; be it damage, scaling, range, radius, etc. you will want to use numbers that are lower in one place and higher in another (or vice versa)

as an example, if ability 1 does 100/150/200/250/300 (+40% of your magical power) as damage on God A, your God B should do something like 80/110/140/170/200 (+%60 of your magical power) for their first ability.

the first numbers are lower, but the scaling of power is higher, this helps balance out the damage difference

If that doesn't make sense, take a look at Arawn and compare him to Hercules (the God I used as a reference point). You will see that the numbers are somewhat similar but differ to allow for the balance shift
    Last edited by GameVeteranAzure; 04-28-2018 at 09:01 AM.