Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chernobog - A Closer Look

Senior Member Prestigious GongsunYiru's Avatar
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,798
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor Repped! Third Class Discussion Ender
    Awards:
    Guru

Chernobog - A Closer Look

Who is Chernobog
    Chernobog is the incarnation of the inevitable evil that persists in the world. He is the embodiment of the bleak attributes that hover around mankind: cold, famine, poverty, illness. He is a being to be respected and feared. Chernobog is the Lord of darkness.

Our Vision
    When the design and art team looked into the lore of Chernobog we first came up with a few thematic pillars we wanted to solidify the God’s theme around:

• Inevitable Evil (Theme)
    • Demonic Humanoid (visuals)
    • Effortlessly Powerful (personality)
    • Respected and Feared (perspective)

As the Slavic deity of darkness, Chernobog is the creeping darkness that cannot be stopped. Just as the seasons turn, Fall and Winter will always come and so this god is the dusk that follows the dawn. He is that feeling of dread one has even when things seem to be going well. He is the fear that all you have earned in life could be lost at any time. Chernobog is persistent and cruel, not chaotic. He follows his set of rules closely: Evil must exist for there to be balance in the world.

With his evil themes decided, it came time to determine his appearance. We felt that the demonic, shadowy theme was incredibly important to the character, but we also wanted to make the character our own. Since Chernobog does not have a strong visual depiction described in mythology, we instead used our thematic pillars to create a series of possible concepts such as the ones below:

While the art team iterated on his visual concept the design team was hard at work developing kit ideas. They made many rough ability outlines that could fit his evil and shadowy themes. Art and Design communicate constantly during this process to decide on which visual features will work best for the god. These teams narrow down the possibilities and focus in on the focal points of the character to provide the final concept:

Chernobog’s final form had been found. He has just enough demonic features to feel evil and otherwordly while still being human enough to be relatable. He wields dark, sharp, and jagged crystals as his weapons. Their solid nature is a symbol of the cold and persistent evil he represents. These would also be visually incorporated into his body on his horns and other demonic decorations. He carries himself like an all powerful supervillain. He does not have to exert much effort even when throwing large attacks.

He has a few specific gameplay elements.

• Rewards for hitting multiple basic attacks on the same target
    • A 1-2 combo where his abilities directly interact with each other
    • Unique mobility options
    • Can reveal enemies on the map at great distances

His ability combo can work even if the combo is missed, but players who are especially good at leading their opponents and predicting their movements will see increased returns from landing the combo and following up with a flurry of basic attacks. He can also be quite evasive as he transitions into his shadow form, allowing him to position himself unlike any other god in SMITE.

Chernobog’s ultimate allows a hunter to bring something to a team that no other hunter can. However, he can not rely solely on this ability entirely and players must use the rest of his kit well before they see much success from his ultimate.

Chernobog is our first Slavic God going into Smite. He soars into the battlefield bringing cold unyielding darkness to anyone who might cross him. We’ll be revealing more about the Lord of Darkness next week! Be sure to stay tuned.

Chernobog
    Lord of Darkness

– HiRezClumzy & HiRezAjax

As the Lord of Darkness, we want Chernobog to be elusive yet have a constant presence. Thematically, he is the personification of uneasy feelings that never seems to subside. He is that moment of terror that could be lurking just around the corner. His abilities are designed to complement this theme.

Chernobog’s third Ability is called “Into Darkness”. On activation Chernobog dashes forward dealing damage and slowing enemies he passes through. If Chernobog collides with a wall he disappears into it, becoming untargetable and leaving a shadowy silhouette on the area. He cannot move while connected to a wall in shadow form, but he can linger there to avoid many types of attacks or give him time to refresh cooldowns and plan his attack. If Chernobog dashes into a wall, he may dash again out of it, applying damage and slowing enemies a 2nd time.

This is a short range dash with a relatively slow flight time. Using it in open ground won’t separate Chernobog very much from pursuing enemies. The ability truly shines when Chernobog uses it to cleverly avoid attacks, especially in tight corridors in the Jungle. Using this in unpredictable ways is the key to Chernobog’s success.

This ability’s visual effects need to match its gameplay effects. While Chernobog is in a wall, enemies and allies will only see the shadow of darkness surrounding him. No health bars or any other indication of his presence will be shown. This clearly tells opponents that he is untargetable but also allows for an element of surprise. If you are looking for Chernobog you should be able to find him, but if you are unsuspecting, the Lord of Darkness could be right behind you ready to strike.

Chernobog will be revealed in his entirety Wednesday, May 2nd at 4pm ET during the 5.8 Update Show. Be sure to mark your calendars and prepare for the Lord of Darkness!

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead omer1698's Avatar
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points
    Awesome!
    Wait next week? Is he come out next week? Also what do you think are the odds that we will ge belobog?
    Last edited by omer1698; 04-20-2018 at 03:05 PM.

Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor Repped! Third Class Discussion Ender
    Awards:
    Guru
    No, this god is for patch 5.8 as stated by HiRezAjax.

Achievements:
    When is 5.8?

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Guru
    About three weeks from now.

Achievements:
    So may 13? Two months without new gods, i hope the waiting will be worth it.

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    That design tho

Regardless, it's nice to see a little more insight on the design process. It'd be neat to have this with every god release.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKeksalot View Post
    That design tho
    [IMG]
    I'm curious to what kind of unique Slavic cultural motifs/symbolism are incorporated in the design or whether I should consider this another generic archetype design.

I would love to hear insight into that, since this dev insight does not and goes "evil, demon, fear" instead.

Senior Member Infamous PapaRodin's Avatar
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 543
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Repped! First Class Party Person Tagger Third Class Full Profile!
    First things first, I am super glad that HiRez decided to take a hint a do something to build up hype for upcoming god releases except spoilers that don't say or show anything really one day before the god gets revealed or having dataminers giving us anything to work with.

Thats a big plus in my book and I am willing to overlook how long it took them to implement this out of sheer goodwill.

Not sure what class he is going to be. Text said "Hunter" at some point, which would be cool because he doesn't look nor feel like a hunter.
    Papa Rodins Words of Wisdom
    An Index Page for threads created by me for you.

Last Update: Let's fix this God: Nu Wa!

Forum Moderator Infamous SeventhArchon's Avatar
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 662
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Party Person Tagger Third Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by omer1698 View Post
    When is 5.8?
    Going by the usual schedule, notes around May 2 and release around May 8.

Quote Originally Posted by GongsunYiru View Post
    I'm curious to what kind of unique Slavic cultural motifs/symbolism are incorporated in the design or whether I should consider this another generic archetype design.

I would love to hear insight into that, since this dev insight does not and goes "evil, demon, fear" instead.
    A little insight from a Slav on this topic: the part where they say there wasn't much of a picture to base him on is true. As far as visual representations of Slavic gods go, the most common and stereotypical motif are forests, which is the only thing I'm surprised didn't get featured in his design in any way (but might, through his ultimate of blending into the environment). My best guess is that since there was so little visual material for them to base their concept off, they decided to scrap the old Slavic forest "druid" (as much as this word is irrelevant to the character, it gives a decent image of what he could look like) theme and give a modern interpretation to the themes of a Slavic god carried down to us mostly through collected word of mouth from old times.
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaRodin View Post
    First things first, I am super glad that HiRez decided to take a hint a do something to build up hype for upcoming god releases except spoilers that don't say or show anything really one day before the god gets revealed or having dataminers giving us anything to work with.

Thats a big plus in my book and I am willing to overlook how long it took them to implement this out of sheer goodwill.

Not sure what class he is going to be. Text said "Hunter" at some point, which would be cool because he doesn't look nor feel like a hunter.
    He's a hunter, which I like because it gives me the motivation to actually learn all 5 roles of conquest. I don't think it's as much sheer goodwill that they decided to release this text as it is the fact that it took them 5 patches to release a god, which is longer than even Discordia took to release.