Thread: Balancing and trends in god picks

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points

Balancing and trends in god picks

There are a considerably high level of balancing issues as most of us are aware, though some refuse to admit. There are definitely gods that have an advantage over most others just for sheer output potential. It's not always the damage that makes a god op, but that is often a problem as well.

Ne Zha has a high damage output, which that in itself is not a problem, but the way he inflicts it is problematic. Let's start from the beginning. Ne Zha's ring toss ability hits multiple gods, has a laughably long bounce range, applies 25% slows, and does a good amount of damage. To follow up, he has his ribbon which has become far easier to hit due to the applied slow. During his ribbon, he is immune with NO label for it. If you try to hit him during it, it just does not hit and does not say "immune" to show you that. The player he hits is stunned for the duration of the animation. To follow up is his ultimate. Coming off the ribbon, there is a 0% failure rate. The only way out is to cleanse and avoid the ribbon. You cannot cleanse out of the ult whether or not you are on the ground. His ultimate is one of those pseudo-skill-nerfed moves. What I mean by that is that the ability is nerfed artificially by being a rhythm-based move. It does not show what button to press on there, though it is not too hard to figure it out, so it only gives first-time users problems. The ultimate does plenty of damage after completion. My overall problem with Ne Zha is the immunity that does not count as an "immune," the 0 time between ribbon and ult, and the artificial ult nerf.

Next, Zeus, the god of gods, also faces problems with his kit. Despite being labeled with an "average" difficulty, he could not be simpler. He has a shield which is thrown quickly enough to not be dodged too easily, he has lightning that automatically bounces onto nearby targets at a fairly high range, and an auto-hit to follow up which can be used anywhere on the map. All of those deal high damage not just to one player, but potentially all of them at once. He can even throw his lightning, start recalling, then auto-kill in the fountain. I think one thing Hi-Rez has troubles with in terms of adjusting levels of power is the desire to not make any changes that add or take away from a god too much. I think that if his auto-hit lightning had an indication that it was activated before striking, then it would make dealing with him far less agonizing than it should be. I don't want to mention his ultimate. It's actually not too bad, but maybe it should deal less damage the more strikes hit as he can already follow up with his free hit anyway.

I want to finish off with He Bo, although there are several other cases I would like to discuss. He Bo is a god I've seen played in almost every game lately, and in each of those games, he has performed with flying colors to his name. One of the most notable feats of He Bo is his low cooldowns. His water cannon has a 3 second cooldown, for instance. It also deals 80% of magical power on top of base damage. His atlas of the yellow river has a 12 second cooldown which is actually at least 6 seconds too fast for such a mobile ability that lasts for more than half of it's cooldown. It is what makes He Bo impossible to chase in most situations. At max level, he, and any of his teammates, get a 50% speed buff, which is a large amount alone. He also gets a 50% slow debuff making him more unstoppable. If that wasn't enough, his enemies get a 50% slow when walking on it. This makes Nemesis's 90 second cooldown ult feel absolutely useless (even though it feels that way when it's not even compared to He Bo's 12 second cooldown river). His waterspout is what makes him un-fun to play against. High damage, high range, and just a 10 second base cooldown. Here's the thing about it though... It applies a knockup...... with no startup animation... Knockups CANNOT be cleansed, and the only one in the whole game who can get out of it is Jing Wei, who actually has 2 abilities similar to He Bo. He Bo instantaneously knocks someone up with no way to counter unless you can predict when he's using it, except even when he's predictable, it doesn't matter because his range prevents targets from getting near without suffering major damages. He will most definitely follow up with his water spout and his ultimate if that does not finish off his opponent. His ultimate, crushing wave, is really something special. Another ultimate with not startup animation and insanely high damage. 690+115% magical damage at max level... WHAT? Jing Wei has a long startup for her ult, slower travel, and much lower damage. Her only benefit is that she is in the air for a second and can land a little farther ahead. He Be does not need any of those benefits. His instant casting makes him nearly impossible to counter for anyone who's too squishy. Other magical gods, like Nox and Discordia, have ults that have very noticeable startups. Neither of them do the amount of damage that He Bo's ult does, though, they do have other perks (which still don'd add up).

Matchmaking is also worse somehow. These are some of the things that have made my experience with Smite worse. I am nostalgic for the simper days of season 2. Thank you for reading. I hope things like these get resolved to make the overall experience of playing Smite better and make the game feel less like a picking game. Much love

-Awesomaze

Achievements:
    I was also going to mention that Jing Wei has a knockup with a startup animation, but even though it has that, it's not nearly as effective as He Bo's knockup with the same AOE. She knocks herself up with it too, which is both good and bad just like Janus's ground portal.

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 746
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    You bring up gods who aren't really issues at the moment, outside of maybe he bo. He bo is fairly powerful because of the power his abilities offer combined with their low CD. However, a burst assassin, or even a decent adc, presents him with all kinds of problems. He has extremely punishable wave clear, and doesn't offer the utility other mages provide through cc or zoning. Your comparison to jing Wei also is misplaced, as just about every mage will always do more dmg from ultimates than adcs, besides a few like Cupid and hou yi.

Zeus also suffers from similar issues as he bo. His clear is pretty bad early, and then his immobility makes him slow to rotate, and easy to chase down. He better have something in return for those weaknesses.

Ne zha could use a bit of a nerf, slightly, on his ring toss, but he's ne longer completely immune in his sash, and using cc to confirm an ult isn't anything new.

Obviously with any shifting meta game, there will be strong and weak points in balance. Could hi rez do a better job? Certainly, and I hope they do. But on the same hand, no one is perfect.

Achievements:
    I drew parallels to Jing Wei not to compare the damage as I know that hunters are meant to output damage almost entirely from basic attacks. I just brought her up because of her startup animations. She can follow up like He No from an enemy being knocked up, but He Bo activates his instantly whereas Jing Wei has a startup that takes a second. He Bo stands still, but that doesn't matter too much when there is no way to avoid it. It's purely based on whether he, the player, places it on the target. Even Nox's root can be juked when the enemy is in her silence. I know He Bo would still be viable after a few changes in startup times and a tweak or two in his scroll.

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 635
    Achievements:
    Is this conquest only?

Those gods performances change alot for me depending on what im playing.