Thread: Community Feedback - 5.5 Matchmaking Test (Part 2)

HiRez Staff Follower MLCst3alth's Avatar
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Veteran Repped! Third Class 5000 Experience Points

Community Feedback - 5.5 Matchmaking Test (Part 2)

Hey friends!

In Update 5.5, we began some matchmaking tests for PC. We started these tests with our Arena game mode. Once we felt like Arena was getting good matches, we extended this test to Normal Conquest. Many bugs were fixed and variables were tweaked specifically for each game mode. After making these tweaks we started seeing more good matches and less matches that went to force time.

Our Normal Arena queue is looking great at the moment, so we have applied the new system to all Normal Queues. Our top priority is to keep improving the Normal Conquest matchmaking before we move to Ranked Conquest or other Ranked modes.

Our matchmaking tests have not been activated on console yet, but these platforms have the underlying code and the the bug fixes required to run the system. Once our PC test data is stable we will be ready to turn on the new system for consoles immediately.

What we need from you

Our Matchmaking engineers can see how many matches are made, how many of these matches are good, and how many of these matches went to force time. They are monitoring this data daily and making improvements. What we really need from you are your opinions about what is frustrating about the matchmaking experience or what feels good about the matchmaking experience.

Please post in this thread if you find any strange or unintended matchmaking that you come across. Please submit all the details here. This should include the in-game match ID and a short statement about why you feel the matchmaking was less than optimal.

No matchmaking change is perfect

Keep in mind that there are a number of reasons that will always lead to less than perfect matches. The time that players queue and the region players queue from can have a huge impact on matchmaking.

Additional notes about matchmaking
    • Matches that were created after a short queue time could be "force time" matches. The other players in the lobby are the ones who waited too long, not you.
    • The only party rules in SMITE matchmaking are for parties of 4 or more, who are in their own queue looking for other parties of 4 or more. A group of 4+ matched against solos should only result if part of the lobby went to "force time."
    • Players of different levels are separated in the queue. The ranges are: (1-12) (13-19) (20-29) (30-50) (50+). Matches with players outside those ranges are results of "force time.” Players level 50+ are all treated as the same level. So a 60 paired with a 120 is 100% intended and not a bug or a "force time" result

Thank you for your contribution in helping us improve our matchmaking system. We look forward to your feedback!

MLC St3alth

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MLCst3alth View Post

Our Normal Arena queue is looking great at the moment, so we have applied the new system to all Normal Queues.

Actually I thought the matchmaking was so bad I actually stopped playing the game permanently for the first time since beta. I hope you know what you are doing.

New Member Cupidhead Mytomanenbre's Avatar
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 388
    test test test test test

New Member Cupidhead Nephilim666's Avatar
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 380
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    There seems to be a common thought that k/d ratios are indicative of skill level throughout all my bad match ups. Regardless of how they're obtained, kills are apparently the standard for skills. There is also the very frustrating notion that arena is "just arena" and draws players who continue to see it as a mode useful only for farming mastery points. As a person who solo queues often since beta, it gets old. The introduction of stars to the mastery system hasn't made it better.

401266222 - In this one, the bastet disconnected and never returned. Our team basically gave up trying to coordinate and gave early surrender even though I think we could've had a decent chance late game if we played safe.

401118838 - This joust consisted of isis and fenrir initiating when im not around or trying to 1v2 and diving. I couldn't figure out how to coordinate with them for the life of me but it was great to be criticized for building "a smitefire build"

400810098 - Arena I am terrible with rama and was playing it safe, team did great making up for my terrible skills.

401264476 - We started off fine but Ullr would run in by himself and couldn't produce enough damage to win any engagements when we did go in as a team.

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Why almost every week I coming back from work to chill out and play Smite and you doing server maintenance. What the Hell Hi-Rez? Are you doing this game only for Americans and Europe can not play on evening times once a week? This happening since March. Is so annoying.

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 384
    hope its better now!

Junior Member Cupidhead carlisle4111's Avatar
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephilim666 View Post
    There seems to be a common thought that k/d ratios are indicative of skill level throughout all my bad match ups. Regardless of how they're obtained, kills are apparently the standard for skills. There is also the very frustrating notion that arena is "just arena" and draws players who continue to see it as a mode useful only for farming mastery points. As a person who solo queues often since beta, it gets old. The introduction of stars to the mastery system hasn't made it better.

401266222 - In this one, the bastet disconnected and never returned. Our team basically gave up trying to coordinate and gave early surrender even though I think we could've had a decent chance late game if we played safe.

401118838 - This joust consisted of isis and fenrir initiating when im not around or trying to 1v2 and diving. I couldn't figure out how to coordinate with them for the life of me but it was great to be criticized for building "a smitefire build"

400810098 - Arena I am terrible with rama and was playing it safe, team did great making up for my terrible skills.

401264476 - We started off fine but Ullr would run in by himself and couldn't produce enough damage to win any engagements when we did go in as a team.
    I have to agree. I was in a game yesterday where I was 0/0/6 and won. We had a player sit there and complain because he was playing Thor and kept initiating and feeding without anyone else there. When he tried to call people out, I called him out. I had been in a game with the same player earlier yesterday with them and they did the same thing and attacked our scyla (who carried our team) and we lost. I wish people wouldn't run straight in without listening to the team's shotcalling. I one not every call will or may be good, but if people actually listen like in the later match, you can win. Mind you, both of the games I spoke about I played Athena. I may not be the best Athena but our scyla in the first game helped when calls were made. Our second game just about our entire team was helping in fights.

The matchmaking system is trash honestly though. I wish I could understand how it works, but Everytime I think I've figured it out, it screws menover again. Some people claim it's elo based, other claim is trueskill based. If it's truse skill based, why would I win three matchs in a row and get paired with new players that complain about them feeding?
    If it's elo based why, if I had an elo of 1500 would I get paired with a 23-2500 team that's ranked? The system doesn't make sense to me. It seems like hi-rez either doesn't care about the system or just puts patches out to "fix" issues that don't actually do anything.