Thread: Early Judgement on the Vulcan "Buff"

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead RhodosGuard's Avatar
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran

Early Judgement on the Vulcan "Buff"

So.
    Vulcan gets a buff. Never thought I'd see that again after they buffed his short-distance Ult damage for consistent Teamfight value.
    But, even though, I know, I cant judge a buff thats not released yet, I doubt it'll be enough to bring him on-par with the other mages.
    His signature ability can't apply most of the new effects, and even can't apply most of the old ones. And ~70 damage (before mitigation and item effects) on a single ability are supposed to balance him out?

I think, that the more reasonable thing would've been to allow his canon to apply SotM and GoI effects. Not even much more. Just these two. It's a combo of items a lot of multiple hit mages rely on. It's a powerful itemcombo for poseidon who can end your life in late game more or less instantly if you end up in his pool even once. Even Goobis can do terribly well with them.

I don't know if that's a proper resolution to the problem, but I think he needs a bit more than 10% scaling on a single ability.

Senior Member Chosen
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    If they let his cannon trigger ability procs, then they'll need to let all pets trigger ability procs. Or at the very least have his cannons trigger all ability procs(you can't just single out 2 items like that, where would it even list that).

Though it'd be a little weird have SWK clone trigger ability procs on its basics. And Arachne's spiders triggering ability procs.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by damienmc90 View Post
    If they let his cannon trigger ability procs, then they'll need to let all pets trigger ability procs. Or at the very least have his cannons trigger all ability procs(you can't just single out 2 items like that, where would it even list that).

Though it'd be a little weird have SWK clone trigger ability procs on its basics. And Arachne's spiders triggering ability procs.
    Rework then? As it stands his canon is more or less useless. it can be easily be dismantled from range, it doesnt deal that much damage, mostly due to a slow firerate and it's entire value depends on hitting the enemy with your other skills while they are inside. And if enemies have dashes or leaps it loses that value completely.

The thing is, as it stands, the canons value is highly dependent on the enemy allowing it to have value. With other pets it's not like this.
    SWKs Clone is not the Aspect of his Ult that makes his Ult an Ult. It's the healing and the AoE dash.

And arachnes spiders are just there to keep you from backing when you get hit by, or walk through one of her traps as well as the aspect that the traps/the net already have an effect even if the spiders dont attack, unlike Vulcans Turret.

Kuzens Kappas are about the same category. I bet you, that while they are still a projectile they apply ability effects. So you can use GoI for a slow on hit plus the slow they do on their own.

as much as I like him, after all he is/was my first main, he feels whacky. His ult depends on hard cc, is only reliable on short range and requires good prediction on long range as well as depending on the enemies expactations. His 3 is more or less poke and, for good players, a setup for his 1, while his canon is, as I pointed out, highly dependent on the enemy allowing it to do what it needs to do.

And as HiRez pointed out, he cant utilize a lot of the new mage items with the canon.
    I think he just needs slightly more than 10% scaling on one ability.
    What that is that he needs, I can only suggest, but not pinpoint.

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 676
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    They said they're going to look at him more closely and tune him more if he needs it. The reason he got a buff is because Tahuti got reworked.

"Vulcan is one of the mages who was hit the hardest by the Rod of Tahuti re-design. He is most successful as a late-game extreme burst mage but he is now having a harder time bursting enemies down. His cannon pet cannot utilize a lot of the unique passives that mages are building into with the item slots opened up in Season 5. To bring his late game burst back up we are increasing the Magical Power Scaling on Magma Bomb."

It's a new season and new builds are being experimented with. I think they don't want another frostalis situation to arise with mages that will completely cause him to be OP af, esp since they're upping his power scaling.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Saerireth View Post
    They said they're going to look at him more closely and tune him more if he needs it. The reason he got a buff is because Tahuti got reworked.

"Vulcan is one of the mages who was hit the hardest by the Rod of Tahuti re-design. He is most successful as a late-game extreme burst mage but he is now having a harder time bursting enemies down. His cannon pet cannot utilize a lot of the unique passives that mages are building into with the item slots opened up in Season 5. To bring his late game burst back up we are increasing the Magical Power Scaling on Magma Bomb."

It's a new season and new builds are being experimented with. I think they don't want another frostalis situation to arise with mages that will completely cause him to be OP af, esp since they're upping his power scaling.
    Well. The thing is, that even before when he was better his canon still wasnt exactly a valueable asset. It fired at most once or twice, didnt apply any ability effects, can be easily focused and I mainly used it as a quick divertion or to kill someone just in range when I position it.

I think at this point, any ability would be more useful than his canon.

And the problem is, that experimentation with builds is good and such, but as they said, most of the new items dont provide value, other than the MP, to him, if you want to utilize the canon.
    You may argue, that he still can do pretty good with his other two abilities, but that's like argueing, that it's ok to only have 2 abilities if they are powerful enough. And his 3-1 combo is definitelly not enough for him to do nearly as much as other mages. Especially since none of them have innate cc.

All his abilities feel like slightly worse versions of other gods abilities.

I think another good change would be to increase the damage on marked enemies?

Again, I like him, but he feels weird. Like he doesnt belong in this game.

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 676
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    I mean, he originally was a guardian that deployed turrets, so for him to have a cannon isn't exactly out of flavor for him. He's built to be more of a pusher that anything tbh.

Senior Member Chosen
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    His cannon is pretty useful I think, you can place it to attack minion waves in an area and go somewhere else while it handles things by itself.... Mainly during rotations, you see whoever is your opponent head to another lane? Drop a turret and follow while winning lane at the same time. Just killed your opponent? Drop a turret and rotate while winning lane at the same time. A team mate having poor wave clear stuck alone? Drop a turret at their lane and head back to your own. Of course enemies can always kill your turrets, but that is why WHERE you place them matters. If you've got one in a lane with a team member try to keep it where that team member might be able to protect it.

They could buff pets in general and allow them to benefit from our own stats more(such as movement, attack speed, etc). That could allow you to improve its rate of fire at the obvious cost of a little less burst since most attack speed items have lower amounts of power.