Thread: Idea for Aphrodite's Soulmate Mechanic

Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 471
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered

Idea for Aphrodite's Soulmate Mechanic

Aphrodite was one of my first diamonds back in Season 2 and I think she is very decent with a coordinated team and has a unique playstyle, so I wouldn't buff her much. But I had an idea for a QoL buff regarding her soulmate.

Firstly, but not necessarily, I would get rid of that beam and instead, make Aphro's soulmate glow like herself when she's linked to someone (she's surrounded by some pink energy). Reason for me is that I find that tether to be pretty annoying and distracting...

After kissing an ally, her soulmate's avatar could be shown inside of her passive meter (kind of like Kali's marked target). I mean, that heart is huge enough for her friend. This way you'll always know who you're linked to.

Once Aphrodite has a soulmate, that person remains her soulmate until one of them dies or until Aphro kisses another ally. Moving too far away from each other results in breaking the link and losing their benefits. Nothing new.
    However, their bond now automatically "reconnects" when getting back into Aphrodite's area of influence, so you don't have to waste your Kiss and mana on the same target over and over. The soulmate's avatar will remain in Aphro's "heart", no matter the distance, until one of them dies.

A small addition could be that her soulmate receives a small movement speed boost while walking towards Aphrodite. But since they already receive a movement buff when linked, this is not necessary either.

Do you think this could make Aphro's life a little easier? Feedback appreciated.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead RhodosGuard's Avatar
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    I think it gives her too much uptime of her Stun/Damage Boost.
    If you dont have to re-apply your Kiss to the god you want to "pocket" if you want to pocket at all, you could easily come up with a combination where you only use your kiss offensively so that when your soulmate engages on the enemy you get the damage buff more or less for free.
    I think the main reason it doesnt reconnect is that you have to re-select your partner.

Also, if your soulmate gets out of range, the only reason to not bond with another teammate would be that you specifically want to only combo with them.

I mean, you really have to think to come up with a scenario where you wouldnt just bond with a new teammate when your old soulmate disconnects.

I think it would make her gameplay too comfortable. And it would actively discourage changing your soulmate.

The only way I'd say this could work is if her kiss went on CD automatically, without costing mana, whenever you "reconnect" with your mate and it purges the kiss-debuff on enemies if its still active.

Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 471
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodosGuard View Post
    The only way I'd say this could work is if her kiss went on CD automatically, without costing mana, whenever you "reconnect" with your mate and it purges the kiss-debuff on enemies if its still active.
    That would make it much worse than how it currently works! Stupid trolls could easily abuse it and play "connect - disconnect, connect - disconnect, lol", putting her kiss on cooldown nonstop and making Aphro lose control over her own ability. Even if that person is not a troll, it will accidentally happen many times which is frustrating. OTHERS should NEVER be able to put another person's abilities on cooldown with their mere presence, especially not your own allies since it's counterproductive for team fighting.

Yes, my suggestions would make her playstyle more comfortable, as you stated, but that was my intention. It would make her less exhausting to play.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead RhodosGuard's Avatar
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Veteran
    It's not strictly about comfort, but the effort-value investment.
    With your kiss practically never being on CD you have the freedom to use it as an escape, and as the damage buff at all points. And if you dont plan on staying connected with only one person, then your changes would probably never have an effect, since you'd switch target when your soulmate leaves anyway, whether its because they need healing or your ult or simply because they are low on Mana.

The thing is, that this would not only be a QoL change, but a net buff to her.
    And I dont think that's what she needs.
    These changes would make her more effective a pocket healer for a single target throughout the entire game, rather than a support.

In the end, I think it's good as it is. It creates need for good positioning for her, it forces her to be a team player and it's working pretty well I'd say.