Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Beginning Basics

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 386

Beginning Basics

Hi all, brand new to this game (and MOBAs in general), I have some questions that I guess don't fit in any guides I'm reading.

First, I'm playing practice mode arena vs. AI, and I am getting owned once I hit medium. I'm thinking about joining actual games, but given how new I am, and how I only know basics about a few gods and don't know roles, is it cool to queue up for a real match? I guess this is a general etiquette question as well, what to do and not do in multiplayer. (I understand people 'call' roles but who gets preference, and can I use any god for any role, etc)

Second, I read the "word of Thoth" thing, but it was a bit unclear on movement and attack speed bonuses on items. Items show percentage, but the guide gave hard numbers (like +457 movement) and, for attack speed, showed an increased number, not what the quicker speed would be compared. So if I have a 20% a a 10% movement bonus, do I end up stacking 30% or is it more like 25%? Same with attack speed. And is removing 'protections' considered penetration, or just pen?

Third, is there a built in or common voice chat for game?

Fourth, I'm just generally messing around with gods to get an idea what each one does, the only one's I've gone in depth with are Ama and Bellona. (Also A bit of Bacchus because he always kills me in the AI arena, and Fenrir because he looked cool). Ama seems to fit me best so far, I was wondering if there is a list of gods who have similar 'stance' mechanics to her 1.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Senior Member Honoured
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Play against real players and copy the builds of the ones that destroy everyone. The guide sounds like it has too much information.

Use health pots, diff pots stack. Armor diminishes after 50% (100 pts), pen ignores 1:1, crit is only good after a high base damage, voice com is available for ranked or grouped players, and the most important thing you can do is collect experience and gold and destroy/pressure objectives - kills are irrelevant beyond gold/xp/pressure

movement speed is also irrelevant; your enemies will come to you

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 652
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class
    You only call roles in conquest.
    Just go ahead and play, most players should be worse than bots( they still are at level 140ish~).
    If you're new you should just go with the standard:
    Assassin jungle
    Hunter adc
    Mage middle
    Warrior solo
    Guardian support
    Feel free to forget word of thoth for now.
    Built in vc is only for ranked and custom irrc.
    Gods with different stances are Ullr, Hel, Artio, Tyr. (I could be forgetting someone idk it's 4:30 am sorry.)

Senior Member Chosen ShinigamiXzero's Avatar
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    1. If you play arena and in fact any mode people will play what ever they want to play. Calls are mainly a curtsey in any mode. One nice to use is fill if you get to the point were you can play anything and don't care what you play. It is a game if you want to try a real game go for it as to if you should try a real game I would say no. You should first learn how to destory the ai first and not get caught in bad situation.

2. I would say just ignore that since most of that isn't needed to do well.

3. Depends on what platform you are playing on.

4. Bellona and Ama are warriors and Bacchus is a guardian. Most people in arena especially newer player usually won't play those classes so you probably won't have to fight people for those roles. Fenrir is assassin and early on you will see a lot of Lokis.

Senior Member Prestigious Necromancer776's Avatar
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 620
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered Repped! Second Class 10000 Experience Points
    Definitely don’t start out with Conquest. If you like AI Arena, start a casual Arena match because it’s the most laid-back and can be quickly learned. You’ll find your way from there.

There is a Voice Guided System to talk to other players in game.

Ama is sort of a stance changer because it’s only her 1 that changes—there are actual stance changers in the game whose entire kits will change with each stance however (Hel, Ullr, Tyr, Artio). Her 1 is sort of like a buff though, so if you like those types of abilities, Chaac can work in a similar fashion if you purchase shield of regrowth. His 3 will then not only heal him and slow people around him, but also grant him movement speed. However, if you are really into stance changing stuff, and you like warriors (it would seem), I recommend Tyr. His 3rd ability activtaes the stance change—his aggressive stance has some really annoying CC/damage abilities, and his passive stance grants him heals.
    Last edited by Necromancer776; 02-07-2018 at 11:35 PM.

Senior Member Honoured
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Conversation Starter Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Hm Necromancer suggesting not starting with conquest? Have this become the standard?
    When i started this game back in the end of beta, there wa no tutorial and if you really wanted to learn the game, you had to play conquest.
    So manny players these days say they play Smite, but arena and assualt isnt Smite, they are two totally different games.
    If you really wanna learn this game, que for conquest.
    There is little difference between the matchmaking in any gamemode at early lvl.
    Most people will suck and those who dont are most likley smurfs.

I made a smurf and testet the matchmaking between my main and a brand new player and i found it in my experience to be almost the same.
    Now you can conclude that i am a bad player, but when you are matched with ramas with 10k kills and 15k assists in your first game and the average lvl is over 100 you start to see my point. This howered did not improve as i cleary won every game cause i was smurfing and even after 30 games i still ended up with the same matchmaking.

The point is, doesnt matter what game mode you play, your first games are gonna be hell. Therefor play conquest and learn the actuall game and dont end up as those Arena mains who lowers the generall skillevel in smite.

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorfindal View Post
    Therefor play conquest and learn the actuall game and dont end up as those Arena mains who lowers the generall skillevel in smite.
    I find this conclusion very offensive and uncalled for. Someone asked for an advise and you replied with unsolicited dig at Arena players. Just stick to the advise part. No need to belittle other players.

@HaoleCatt: Try queueing for casual matches. Many players whether they have practiced before or not have done it. I think playing with other players will help you learn a great deal. You just need to have map awareness and bring with you common sense. And above all try to have fun.
    Aphrodite
    The standard of beauty is not definite. We define it.

Senior Member Honoured RamenFrog's Avatar
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 852
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class Veteran
    I'd say it's more of a confidence thing if you want to start playing games with people. You could try the Co-op Vs AI mode where you play with people on your team but the enemy team is composed of bots. That will get you used to some dynamics of how the lobby works with other people and in teamplay basics. Otherwise I'd leave Conquest alone until you get a foothold on some Gods you like to play to which you can look up some guides on them in the future if you wish to pursue it.

Role calls generally are only in Conquest, but sometimes Clash gets a bit more serious in terms of balancing the team. If you want a good precurser to Conquest without the stress, I'd suggest starting there after you get some Arena time in.

As for items, one way you can analyze it is selecting a god in the general overview (not in lobby or anything) and there will be a tab on the bottom called God Builder. This allows you to see your God's stats per level and allow you to fiddle with items and how they interact with them.

As far as "removing protections" I want to say it's a different thing outside of Penetration, it depends on the item and the wording (plus you have some god abilities that remove protections as well, it's tricky at first but it's all about the fine print).

Edit: Forgot to add, Jungle Practice is a mode that allows you to try out any God and gives you an environment on which to play around with them. If you're curious about someone not in the Free Rotation, or just wanna practice some things, definitely check that out.
    Last edited by RamenFrog; 02-08-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Senior Member Honoured
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by hudapak View Post
    I find this conclusion very offensive and uncalled for. Someone asked for an advise and you replied with unsolicited dig at Arena players. Just stick to the advise part. No need to belittle other players.
    So? Its true... except assault is worse than arena
    New player asking for advice on the best way to start the game? Conquest. The other game modes do not teach conquest, but if you can play conquest then you can usually play the other modes too.

Whatever mode you're doing:

best way to start is to build into sustain/resistances, learn how to avoid death as much as possible (but stay in fights), watch how shit happens, learn the importance of minion waves and exp/levels, pay attention to your team and attack OR poke with them (even if you hate them), and remove sustain from builds as needed.

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorfindal View Post
    dont end up as those Arena mains who lowers the generall skillevel in smite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizlenut View Post
    So? Its true... except assault is worse than arena
    -looks down on arena
    -has more deaths than kills in arena