Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: ex-Paragon player coming to Smite

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class Tagger Third Class Veteran 5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaodon View Post
    Hi everyone,
    if you haven't heard, Paragon is history (shutting down in April). I have played it for quite some time, so was dissappointed and looked for another moba to play. The others didn't appeal to me (mouse-click movement, topdown view, etc.), but Smite seems to share the most in common, although its definitely different!

Any tips you might have for me would be appreciated as a new player to Smite, but not new to mobas of Smite's style.

Also, are there generally patch notes posted someplace? My client is patching today, but I can't find patch notes.

Thanks,
    -Z
    Welcome brother/sister. You've come at a great time. If you ever need patch notes, reddit usually had a post on it before Smite gets theirs up. You can also sub to their twitch channel and watch them talk about new items, balances, and over all patch notes. Welcome to the battlegrounds of the gods.
    XBL: Arsenal IV
    PC: DetriotSmash

List of Favorite Gods
    Bellona - Scylla - Khepri - Terra - Discordia - Artio - Ymir - Cernunnos - Ganesha - Sun Wukong
    Hachiman

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 283
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points
    So far, my foray's into PvP (solely to fulfill quests) have not gone well. The imbalance in sides is ridiculous. A few games saw me and 4 other new players (the... frames... or whatever they are called, which is the picture of your god) were all vanilla, and the opposing teams frames were all animated and stylized. 5 basic gods (new) vs 5 advanced gods (vets).

I literally could take a dump which could come up with a better matchmaking algorithm than that.
    Zaodon
    Current main: Neith

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead BleuPrince's Avatar
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points
    So far, my foray's into PvP (solely to fulfill quests) have not gone well. The imbalance in sides is ridiculous. A few games saw me and 4 other new players (the... frames... or whatever they are called, which is the picture of your god) were all vanilla, and the opposing teams frames were all animated and stylized. 5 basic gods (new) vs 5 advanced gods (vets).

I literally could take a dump which could come up with a better matchmaking algorithm than that.
    I taken a look at some of your matches, and found a few smurfs. I am sure you have either came across or heard of smurfs in Paragon as well, its common in all MOBA at lower levels. A weakness in SMITE's matchmaking (MMR) is that in Normal matches, it takes into consideration of player level and tries to group them up together. The MMR is incapable of quickly identifying smurfs and thus often match them up with other genuinely new and low level players, which creates unbalanced matches and very unpleasant experience for any new players.

As you can see all the players in this match is relatively low level (between lvl 3 and 14)

MATCH STATS

But if you were to take a closer look, you will find that Hachiman's account was created back in 2014 and yet he is only level 11 after 4 years, a very unlikely scenario. His win rates is an abnormally high win rate of 66.67% with a high ELO of 1,629 for a "new player", 39 kills? That Athena's account was created back in 2016, possibly another Smurf.

Even though there were possibly 2 smurfs on the opposing team, your team still managed to win that match. So, you guys should be proud of yourselves. You will noticed these two players weren't in a party for this match, but subsequently they became friends and started partying. Better to have a smurf on your team than the other team. Start adding to your friends list anyone you come across who seems like a good player, even as a smurf, they might be able to help give you a few pointers and tips on how to improve gameplay. Sure, it might feel like you are being carried, but at least you know you will be able to rely on them to counter any smurfs from the opposing team.
    Last edited by BleuPrince; 02-02-2018 at 11:15 PM.

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Don't play to much vs coop that is a waste such a good game as smite and so terrible bots.

You need all the PvP experience you can get.

Try out some coop and practice until you find a few Gods you like, atleast one in each role, warrior, guardian, mage, hunter and assassin.

Assault or Arena. Its the most straight forward.

Clash is WAY more complex.

Don't even talk about conq lol. But if you really enjoy the moba map, then try it and if you think its worth learning there just go ahead. Its a long road though before you start to really get it. I played a lot of smite but I'm still pretty bad at conq. I have like a total of some 100 games over all the seasons and still not fully get its all outs and ins so to say.
    Rocking the boat

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 283
    Achievements:
    100 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by BleuPrince View Post
    I taken a look at some of your matches, and found a few smurfs. I am sure you have either came across or heard of smurfs in Paragon as well, its common in all MOBA at lower levels. A weakness in SMITE's matchmaking (MMR) is that in Normal matches, it takes into consideration of player level and tries to group them up together. The MMR is incapable of quickly identifying smurfs and thus often match them up with other genuinely new and low level players, which creates unbalanced matches and very unpleasant experience for any new players.

As you can see all the players in this match is relatively low level (between lvl 3 and 14)

MATCH STATS

But if you were to take a closer look, you will find that Hachiman's account was created back in 2014 and yet he is only level 11 after 4 years, a very unlikely scenario. His win rates is an abnormally high win rate of 66.67% with a high ELO of 1,629 for a "new player", 39 kills? That Athena's account was created back in 2016, possibly another Smurf.

Even though there were possibly 2 smurfs on the opposing team, your team still managed to win that match. So, you guys should be proud of yourselves. You will noticed these two players weren't in a party for this match, but subsequently they became friends and started partying. Better to have a smurf on your team than the other team. Start adding to your friends list anyone you come across who seems like a good player, even as a smurf, they might be able to help give you a few pointers and tips on how to improve gameplay. Sure, it might feel like you are being carried, but at least you know you will be able to rely on them to counter any smurfs from the opposing team.
    3 of their players disconnected, so it was just Athena and Hachiman.

The two of them killed all 5 of us over and over, and destroyed our middle phoenix and were almost ending the game on the 5 of us. I got pissed and typed into chat "FFS, please all group up in the mid lane!!!!" and they somehow listened to me, and we killed them and marched up middle to win. But prior to that point, the two of them were absolutely unkillable and destroyed are entire team over and over.

-Z
    Zaodon
    Current main: Neith

New Member Cupidhead occmsrazr9's Avatar
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 382

Get used to it. if you want to play this game you're gonna have to suffer through A LOT of one-sided, pointless matches. Unfortunately while Smite is a great game the service side is horrific - the matchmaking is the worst in gaming history, the community management is non-existent and the servers are terrible. 1/3 of your games will have disconnects, 1/3 of them will be lopsided pubstomps as the matchmaker falls on it's ass spectacularly. Believe you me, there is nothing like it in video games. smite.guru will allow you to check after and marvel as the winning team has 5 players with higher account levels, ELO, and global KDA than all of the 5 losers. Oh, and the winning team had 2 duos on it while the losing one had all solos. Ranked Conquest is the only mode you will find any semblance of matchmaking accuracy.

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 3 months registered 1000 Experience Points
    If I can give one advice , here it is :
    I played paragon a little, I found there that in the conquest map of paragon, the lanes are divided into mid lane, left and right.
    In smite there are the mid lane, the duo lane (that is the longest one, here there's supposed to go 2 people and do a 2v2 laning phase) and the solo lane (the shortest one, here will go only 1 player to lane a 1v1); this is a big difference I found back in the day;

Now I found one thing different from smite : in paragon, not in the mid lane, but in the left/right lane I found always happened a 1 v 2 and a 2 v 1 scenarios, because of the lanes;

I found a lot of new players here in smite doing the same thing, going 2 people in the solo lane, and left one people in the duo lane ; That is possibile, yes, but generally speaking is uncorrect ;
    You often (if not always) should go with 2 player in the duo lane, 1 player in mid, 1 player in solo and 1 player roaming in the jungle to farm and kill jungle bosses to provide jungle's buff to his allies.

I hope this advice will help a lot of new ex-paragon palyers, they need this info imo.
    Equità, Equilibrio e Giustizia, prima di qualsiasi altra cosa.

"Non sono le nostre capacità che dimostrano chi siamo davvero, sono le nostre scelte."
    - Cit. Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Silente / Dumbledore

Senior Member Chosen Spartan219's Avatar
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 747
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Conversation Starter 1 year registered 5000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class
    Welcome new blood hope you enjoy your time here and dont let any toxic player demotivate you from playing and learning this game
    you can add me ingame if you want ign same as forum name Altho i must warn you first im a uber noob

also why are they shutting down paragon? o.O
    I know what I have become... I am the inside of this world... I taste the gore, and I smell the crying... AND I WANT MORE! I want to bathe in your flesh, I want to savor your fear. I wanna live inside a castle built of your agony, AND I WANT TO CRUMBLE IT WITH AN AXE TO YOUR CAROTID ARTERY!

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Clash and Seige are locked to me.
    Joust is horrible (I'm stuck on 5 basic gods, other team has advanced ones, and its heavy PvP focussed)
    Dont underestimtate the 5 starting gods. They all beasts (guan yu might need more experience).

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 3 months registered 1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Wefal View Post
    Dont underestimtate the 5 starting gods. They all beasts (guan yu might need more experience).
    That's true, they are pretty balanced.
    Maybe Ymir is too static, but in the right hands is a giant;

I have a friend that is an absolute beast with Guan Yu, he's incredible;

Neith is pretty good, maybe not your typical ADC, but her ability are very strong and hit hard, If you manage to use your passive (waves on the ground) she can do a lot of dmg. Build a lot of pen on her.

Thor is always fun and balanced, he's never neither OP nor UP. In the right hand is very strong, tho.

Ra is more for a skillshot user with that ult, but can do a lot of burst and has a movement speed buff in his passive, has a heal to his team, and can clear wave safer than other mages from the first levels.
    Equità, Equilibrio e Giustizia, prima di qualsiasi altra cosa.

"Non sono le nostre capacità che dimostrano chi siamo davvero, sono le nostre scelte."
    - Cit. Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Silente / Dumbledore