Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: (Not Season 5 descussion) Some ideas on different game aspects.

Junior Member Cupidhead Ravenpsix's Avatar
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 354

(Not Season 5 descussion) Some ideas on different game aspects.

Since the time immemorial I've been poking in and out of Smite. I belive it was around 10-15 hours in season 2, 2-5 Hours in season 3. I have a sneaking suspition I even played at the times of season 1. Finally got to play it more seriusly during season 4. I always liked the game. The only thing that stoped me playing it was general hostility and elitism towards new players epecially and others in general. Times change, I stoped caring about idiots and finally can play peacefully (plus heavy usage of "Mute" button helps )

But that is not what i want to write here. Got carried away as always. What i actually wanted to disscus is an idea i'm sure many people had at least once. And that is about item system.

Why have categorised item system and not actually USE these categories?!
    I know it sound really confusing and stupid. Ofcource they are using them, - you'd say. - They help player to find desired items quickly. And I'd say to that: - Yes, they do help. But their full potential is completedly missed.

Let's have a look at what we have. We have 6 slots on each god to itemize (if that is actually a word). We have a ton of items, some good, some not so good, but most likely then not you can imagin yourself useing most of them in one situation or another.
    And thay have categories - pendants, trincets, magical armour, phisical armour, bows, katanas and etc. So why not make it so, that each of 6 slots represent a potential "body part" usage and not limit the items by categories. For example, you can equip 1 armour, 1 cloak, 1 sword, 1 dagger, 1 trincket... and so on, but you can not take 2 armours, 2 staffs, not to mention 2 items from same item tree!

I mean, I do understed that it will mean a major, and i mean MAJOR balance changes, but i still think that forcing players to have to actually chose wich one of good items he curently have a need for is more much more interesting than thinking about which one of current meta items he currently have a need for. It shurely will make more diverse builds. No more executioner+quins combo or any such cheap stuff that even an infant can think of. And now in season 5 it is even more viable becouse of their item tree systematization changes.

P.S. Have another weired ideas. Like, make Harpy camps randomly drop some minor buff. But they are not as obvious as this one, and I don't really think people would like RANDOM in Smite.
    Last edited by Ravenpsix; 01-19-2018 at 08:39 AM.

Senior Member Honoured
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    it will never work. We don't have any pants.

Senior Member Prestigious GongsunYiru's Avatar
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,798
    Achievements:
    Repped! First Class Repped! Second Class Reputation Distributor Repped! Third Class Discussion Ender
    Awards:
    Guru
    I don't see how making builds more restrictive would be a good thing.

Member Worshipper loupblanc10kai's Avatar
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 251
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    The idea has some kind of merit, but with the huge changes introduced in Patch 5.1, an item re-classification on the scale you describe is one change too many and will also require a lot of thinking to implement properly.

When Patch 5.1 goes live, and the meta starts to develop, there will definitely be a lot of things that will pop up which will require fixing. And fixing requires time.

So your idea is only something to look at in the very far future.

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    But why? It just restricts builds for no real reason.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts

Ocean Princess Prestigious Lyralis's Avatar
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Conversation Starter 1 year registered Repped! Third Class 10000 Experience Points
    Hell no.

Just, hell no.
    What do I put here now?

To answer to the question "Why?" : I belive that smite have enought diversity in items and categories that such restrictions would prevent a concrete Meta from forming, with no apparent combination of items be absolute for every situation.
    And to answer "Why Meta?": Meta is a bad thing. Very bad, BAD thing. It encourage players against thinking for themselves and turns every match into carbon copy of each other. For example, in certain MMOs like The Old Republic, it turns pvp into "press buttons in certain order to win" kind of thing.
    While Smite is more about finding right TIME to use an ability then the right order (it is still relevant, don't get me wrong), but items heavily fall for Meta trap.

Senior Member Honoured VlentisFlyheightis's Avatar
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Full Profile!
    Kukulkan has no hands to carry a rod or book, your idea is invalid.

But he does, thought. Look it his model. Tiny dragon pawns.

Oh wait, That was old model, damn

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class Full Profile!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenpsix View Post
    To answer to the question "Why?" : I belive that smite have enought diversity in items and categories that such restrictions would prevent a concrete Meta from forming, with no apparent combination of items be absolute for every situation.
    And to answer "Why Meta?": Meta is a bad thing. Very bad, BAD thing. It encourage players against thinking for themselves and turns every match into carbon copy of each other. For example, in certain MMOs like The Old Republic, it turns pvp into "press buttons in certain order to win" kind of thing.
    While Smite is more about finding right TIME to use an ability then the right order (it is still relevant, don't get me wrong), but items heavily fall for Meta trap.
    Well, you're wrong. There will always be a meta. People will always decide that X, Y, and Z fall into some arbitrary order even if they don't in practice. Your idea restricts build diversity--which is NEVER a good thing, no matter how diverse items already are--while not actually solving the problem of metas. Until the pros come out and tell everyone to think for themselves, this will always be a problem. There's nothing HR or the players can do to fix it.
    I tell people I'm bi, but what I really mean is [B] I O N I C L E

Muh Concepts