Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can't win a game. Should I just quit?

New Member Cupidhead occmsrazr2's Avatar
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 384

Can't win a game. Should I just quit?

I just want to get some insight from other players. I was having a fine time for the first couple of months, admittedly the learning curve is very steep at the beginning and being forced to play with high level accounts right out of the gate made it tough, but I eventually got the hang of it and began really enjoying the game. However, recently, I am lucky to win 10% of my matches. Since about the start of the week, I get basically blown off the map in every single game that I play. Prior to this, I did go on a winning streak and was close to getting my winning % to 50, only 5 games back, so I was expecting a bit of a correction, but nothing prepared me for this. Today I played about 20 matches and won 2, and in many losses my team couldn't even register a kill. This is obviously very discouraging and not a bit of fun for anyone. My question is, if I continue to suffer through the losses, will my ELO drop enough for me to get in winnable games again? Or is this pretty much the end of the road for me? I know I've posted in nearly every thread about this topic today, but I am actually a bit shocked that this result could be the one ANY developer is intending with their matchmaking system, and very disheartened to think that I may have reached a skill level that will ultimately result in my having to give up the game. I posted my smite.guru below.

http://smite.guru/profile/xb/occmsrazr/matches

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 926
    Achievements:
    Party Person Tagger Third Class 1 year registered Repped! Third Class 10000 Experience Points
    I wouldn't give up man. There is always a level you can play at.

Member Worshipper VlentisFlyheightis's Avatar
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 492
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 1000 Experience Points
    Keep at it man. I'll have games where a salty teammate will tell me to uninstall and games where I carry a 20+/1/etc in the same day. i'll have 10 game win streaks and 10 game lose streaks. Just gotta know when to take a break. Finding at least I regular teammate can certainly turn things around cuz of synnergy. Don't quit.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead BleuPrince's Avatar
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points
    hmmm

Looking at your profile, I can tell you started playing SMITE XBOX since Jan 23rd, 2017. So your 1st Anniversary is just around the corner.

1. From my limited understanding on SMITE XBOX, Hunters are not that easy on XBOX in comparison to PC. You spend alot of time playing as Hunters (152 matches or 34%) with a win rate of 41.45%. When you play as Guardian or Mages, your Win rate improves to 51.49% and 50.88% (that's approximately a 25% improvement). Thus, if you want to win more matches, pick a God which you are good at. You had 87% chance of winning as Ra and 52% chance of winning as Kukulkan, in comparison to Hachiman (only 20% win rate).

Leaked information reveals that XBOX will be officially supporting Keyboard/Mouse in the not too distant future (source). This could improve targeting and movement controls. Having said that, there are currently existing "alternative" but controversial ways to hook up a keyboard/mouse to an XBOX.

2. As you have been playing for almost a year, have you considered partying with your friends/ clan members. If you don't have many friends, start by identifying any and everyone you see who seems good/ experienced player. I would suggest you add this player to your friends list and other good/experienced players. He has been doing like 12 to 24 kills per match with minimal deaths. He often plays with his clan members.

Party with 1 or 2 other experienced players, who could help carry the team and show you the ropes/help give you tips on how to get better. Playing with players you know, will give you an advantage over the other team, easier communication, you will be able to work better as a team, coordinate your attacks/combo, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by occmsrazr1 View Post
    I also play LoL
    3. If you are an LOL player, you will have access to a PC. Have you considered playing SMITE on PC? If you are on a high population server, like North America, you will be more than likely be matched with other new players. Considering you already have 1 year experience playing SMITE XBOX, you could do pretty well in the early matches.

4. Specialize. Instead of playing many different Gods, try to focus on learning everything there is to learn about a few Gods. Be really good at those Gods. Learn from other players/talk to other experienced players, watching youtube/twitch, reading guides, etc... Learn to counter build. I noticed in match, MATCH ID: 151767124 SEIGE, you pick Rod of Tahuti as your third items for Kukulkan. I cannot pretend to understand the meta for SMITE XBOX, it's quite rare to buy Rod of Tahuti that early in the game. In comparison, you have been playing alot of Sylvannus lately, and you seem to be thinking a bit more about which items to buy. And as a result, your win rates for Sylvannus is significantly higher. I don't play Sylvannus so don't take my comments too seriously. I was wondering for MATCH ID: 151768157 JOUST (shown below), where you have AMC and Hachiman on your team, two hunters, do you think there is any room to add a Shogun Kusari (+25% Attack Speed for allied gods)? Will it be more beneficial to your team as a whole? As I said, I don't play Sylvannus, so I don't know alot about him and I wasn't part of the match, so I won't pretend to fully understand the match. Both Janus and Xing Tian did not have any Shoes, I was wondering if Gem of Isolation (-25% slow for 2s) could be beneficial?

You should add this Hachiman to your friend's list (He is lvl 17 when everyone else is between lvl 11 and lvl 14)

5. I am not familiar with the SMITE XBOX scene. But Smite Console World Championship 2018 winners are Myth Gaming. Astral Authority came second.
    Last edited by BleuPrince; 01-12-2018 at 04:40 AM.

Member Worshipper VlentisFlyheightis's Avatar
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 492
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 1000 Experience Points
    Can attest Hunters are a lot harder on Xbox. I barely play on PC though cuz Xbox investments and only have a toaster of a laptop atm. most players are discouraged because they havent found their godpool. I started with Freya as my first god buy. I now main Ares, Nike, Bellona, Bastet, and Morrigan, with a few other rank 5-8 Guards Warriors and non sniper mages. find that groove.

New Member Cupidhead occmsrazr3's Avatar
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 386
    The forum makes me make a new account every time I log in, so I'm posting my reply from this one.

Quote Originally Posted by BleuPrince View Post
    hmmm

Looking at your profile, I can tell you started playing SMITE XBOX since Jan 23rd, 2017. So your 1st Anniversary is just around the corner.

1. From my limited understanding on SMITE XBOX, Hunters are not that easy on XBOX in comparison to PC. You spend alot of time playing as Hunters (152 matches or 34%) with a win rate of 41.45%. When you play as Guardian or Mages, your Win rate improves to 51.49% and 50.88% (that's approximately a 25% improvement). Thus, if you want to win more matches, pick a God which you are good at. You had 87% chance of winning as Ra and 52% chance of winning as Kukulkan, in comparison to Hachiman (only 20% win rate).

Leaked information reveals that XBOX will be officially supporting Keyboard/Mouse in the not too distant future (source). This could improve targeting and movement controls. Having said that, there are currently existing "alternative" but controversial ways to hook up a keyboard/mouse to an XBOX.

2. As you have been playing for almost a year, have you considered partying with your friends/ clan members. If you don't have many friends, start by identifying any and everyone you see who seems good/ experienced player. I would suggest you add this player to your friends list and other good/experienced players. He has been doing like 12 to 24 kills per match with minimal deaths. He often plays with his clan members.

Party with 1 or 2 other experienced players, who could help carry the team and show you the ropes/help give you tips on how to get better. Playing with players you know, will give you an advantage over the other team, easier communication, you will be able to work better as a team, coordinate your attacks/combo, etc...

3. If you are an LOL player, you will have access to a PC. Have you considered playing SMITE on PC? If you are on a high population server, like North America, you will be more than likely be matched with other new players. Considering you already have 1 year experience playing SMITE XBOX, you could do pretty well in the early matches.

4. Specialize. Instead of playing many different Gods, try to focus on learning everything there is to learn about a few Gods. Be really good at those Gods. Learn from other players/talk to other experienced players, watching youtube/twitch, reading guides, etc... Learn to counter build. I noticed in match, MATCH ID: 151767124 SEIGE, you pick Rod of Tahuti as your third items for Kukulkan. I cannot pretend to understand the meta for SMITE XBOX, it's quite rare to buy Rod of Tahuti that early in the game. In comparison, you have been playing alot of Sylvannus lately, and you seem to be thinking a bit more about which items to buy. And as a result, your win rates for Sylvannus is significantly higher. I don't play Sylvannus so don't take my comments too seriously. I was wondering for MATCH ID: 151768157 JOUST (shown below), where you have AMC and Hachiman on your team, two hunters, do you think there is any room to add a Shogun Kusari (+25% Attack Speed for allied gods)? Will it be more beneficial to your team as a whole? As I said, I don't play Sylvannus, so I don't know alot about him and I wasn't part of the match, so I won't pretend to fully understand the match. Both Janus and Xing Tian did not have any Shoes, I was wondering if Gem of Isolation (-25% slow for 2s) could be beneficial?

You should add this Hachiman to your friend's list (He is lvl 17 when everyone else is between lvl 11 and lvl 14)

5. I am not familiar with the SMITE XBOX scene. But Smite Console World Championship 2018 winners are Myth Gaming. Astral Authority came second.
    Yeah, see, this is my problem - I've only been playing the game regularly for a few months. I barely have a grasp of the item shop yet, let alone the match ups between the different gods etc. I have played MOBAs before, as I mentioned, LoL, and understand that it will take me a lot more time to fully understand all of these different interactions. The difficulty I am currently facing is that in the last week or so, I am suddenly playing with players FAR more experienced than I had been facing the first several months. The skill gap is simply far too wide for me to be competitive in these games. I understand that the matchmaking in Smite is atrocious, but I am literally losing 10/11 games, winning like 1 or 2 games in a two or three day span. I have no chance in these games. I just played one a minute ago where we once again got blown out and I died 8 times playing Sylvanus because I still don't even know what abilities each god has in their kit. I am not going to be able to learn enough fast enough to compete with these guys if I don't get some easier competition first.

Basically my question is this - how much longer will have I lose 90% of my games before my ELO drops and I start getting matched with the players I was playing with the first few months? Or did I cross some magical threshold and am I now stuck in matchups I will never win, and therefore should just quit playing? I'm not enjoying the game AT ALL right now but if a few more days of getting my ass kicked will make it playable again, I guess I can handle it. I love the third person action style of Smite but honestly LoL is a much much better game and if this is the new reality for me in Smite I'm over it. I don't have the time to commit to the game that is required for me to hang with these guys.

New Member Cupidhead occmsrazr3's Avatar
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 386
    and I do have a PC but only got my gaming rig recently and just haven't been motivated to level up a brand new account with no gods, especially when I have the god pack on Xbox. my account name is the same, occmsrazr. I've only played 9 games but I am absolutely wrecking the newbies they're matching me with. This is what I honestly suspect is my problem - my mechanical skill is elevating me to an ELO that my knowledge of the game hasn't caught up with.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead BleuPrince's Avatar
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by FAQ
    How does player level affect the matchmaking system?
    Player level is considered in all casual queues. The system heavily favors pairing players within similar level groups, but sometimes it will grab players from other level ranges if a good match cannot be found within an allotted amount of time. Since the system heavily favors pairing similar MMR and similar level, finding matches during low populations times can be difficult, and as such the restrictions are lowered if players have to wait in queue for an extended time.
    Source:https://www.smitegame.com/news/matchmaking-faq,

Thus, the server you are playing on (XBOX) does not have enough low level players to match you with/against, which find significantly higher level players (levels 100+) in your matches. If you are unwilling or unable to make friends, and form parties with more experienced players, then chances are you will continue to be on this losing streak. On the contrary, if you are willing and able to make friends, then perhaps you could find a group of more experienced players who has the patience to guide you, help you learn the game and most importantly carry you and your team to victory. The choice is yours. If you choose not to, then perhaps you should consider taking a break from SMITE XBOX.

TLDR: You will not be matched based on your ELO PLUS on UNRANKED matches. Continuously losing and lowering your ELO PLUS will not make your future matches any easier.

I do not think you should be concerned about "leveling up" in SMITE PC, learning about the game is more important. I see that you are again focusing on Hunter class. If you really enjoy playing Hunter class, then SMITE PC will be much better choice for you. Would you rather have access to 93 Gods on SMITE XBOX, be on a losing streak, and not sure how to play all the Gods or specialized on a few Gods which you really enjoy and are really good at on SMITE PC, and be on a winning streak (your win ratio is 70%, very high, but expected... since you have 1 year experience on SMITE XBOX) and be able to carry your team to victory almost single handedly.

My personal advice, don't "overdo it", have a thought for those new PC players and remember how you felt while you are playing on SMITE XBOX against much higher level players and your team got wrecked. Instead of focusing on how many kills you can do against much less experienced players, focus on learning about the God you are playing, which items to buy for that particular situation, when to advance/ when to fall back, learn how to use Voice Guided System (VGS), learn how to co-ordinate Combo Attacks/Ults (call out VVVR), learn to call out Missing Enemies, learn about Warding, learn how to turn a losing situation into a team victory, learn to identify the weakness and strengths of the enemy Gods, learn how to counter build, etc... these new game knowledge that you learned can prove invaluable to SMITE XBOX when you are ready to take on lvl 100+ players in future.

This video (Season 4) can give you a brief intro on how to Counter build (take it with a grain of salt, Season 5 is approaching, counter building is "very situational")
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTrTkL9HU8U

TLDR: For SMITE PC, it will be a long time before you meet a lvl 100 + player. Remember the Matchmaking heavily favors matching based on player level (i.e. not ELO PLUS) for Unranked matches. You will still see them (lvl 100+ players) occasionally, if they party a significantly lower level player, during off peak hours (when there is a low pool of players), you are queuing for "too long" when the system begins to ignore some of the criteria, etc...
    Last edited by BleuPrince; 01-12-2018 at 11:20 PM.

Junior Member Cupidhead DrakeHorizon's Avatar
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 298
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 100 Experience Points

Wink

Sometimes it is best to take breaks from the game. You can just get really unlucky and get with bad teammates or just go against really good teams. When you come back you should be refreshed for the next matches
    Last edited by DrakeHorizon; 01-13-2018 at 04:46 AM.
    "A mother bear is very protective over her allies, it will be best not to cross me." -Artio.
    A phrase that crosses over to other gods, even mages, it seems.

New Member Cupidhead Occmsrazr4's Avatar
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 388
    You can't be serious - matchmaking in this game isn't based on elo? I mean... I knew this game was bad but I didn't think it could be THAT terrible. So basically you're saying I can either spend hours researching and practicing the game and make friends who are better to teach me, or I quit? There's effectively no way to play casually for a few hours after work? Well back to LoL it is for me then. No wonder nobody plays this game, you're saying it's basically a playground for high level premades after a certain point. Fuck that.