Thread: New player experience is horrible

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 373

New player experience is horrible

Well hello there, just started playing roughly 3 days ago and all I could say is it's been frustrating. To preface, I've never really had any extensive PC MOBA experience aside from the first DOTA which was years ago and a mobile moba called Vainglory. So Smite is my first actual PC MOBA. However, I have 400 hours invested into Paladins, so I have at least some experience in a team-based hero game.

So I started playing the game. Okay, decent tutorial, gives you the basics and as well as 5 gods of each class. The item menu was quite extensive and confusing at first but I got used to it. Then, as the tutorial finishes it throws you into the main menu.

And holy fuck.

I get that why some folks said this game looked like it hasn't made any progress beyond 2012, that main menu UI is fucking cluttered. Ads for chests and skins just barrage and clutter the whole screen horrendously it might as well be a billboard in Times Square. It took me several minutes to just comprehend the UI.

Okay, time for some matches. Before throwing myself into PvP, I decided to play bots first on medium settings since that seems to be the max difficulty. Andddd why are our Allied bots so stupid? Why did you make the enemy bots purposely better than my team's bots? It's not a challenge for me since I just dominate vs bots, but it's hard to win when your allied bots lose every god damn fight. Plus, it's impossible to test out Guardian/Support classes since you won't be able to do enough actual damage to carry your stupid allied bots.

And thus after a while I've decided to play PvP. Of course matchmaking is horrendous, why wouldn't it be? I don't mind having the occasional matchmaking hiccup but for 5 consecutive matches I've been queued with/against older players. Even Paladins is known for horrible matchmaking but at least newer players are actually matched evenly against other newbies. So, I was suggested to play other modes. Same shit but with 5+ min queues instead. Here's some example:

http://smite.guru/censor/match/48866

http://smite.guru/censor/match/48867

I really want to love this game but man the matchmaking is a huge turn off for new players.

Senior Member Honoured SkinnydreaD's Avatar
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    It has been like this since the beta. Though, main menu was a little better until they changed it, in S3 first patch, I believe. But yes, UI and graphics overall are awful and I doubt that they are gonna get fixed. I remember there was a leak of minimalistic and elegant ingame UI but it remained just a leak, even though it looked much better than the cluttered shit we have now. As for main menu UI, well, it's nothing but a big shiny billboard, as you said, and you just need to learn to ignore it.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead BleuPrince's Avatar
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by udara View Post
    I really want to love this game but man the matchmaking is a huge turn off for new players.
    Are you playing on the South East Asian server? From what I have been told, it has a low population, which explains the significantly higher level difference among players, and possibly longer queue time. The situation is not as bad on other higher population server, example North America, still far from ideal. The ping might be worst but you are less likely to be matched with and against significantly higher level players in every match. It still do happen occasionally and under certain circumstances (during off peak hours, if you queue time is too long, if there is party between a high level player and low level player, a smurf, etc...)

Alternatively, you could party with more experienced players/friends/clan members on South East Asian server who can help carry your team to victory; considering you are still new to Smite. No friends, start making friends. Try to identify any good players from either team and add them to your friends list to party together.

Last edited by BleuPrince; 01-10-2018 at 07:58 AM.

Senior Member Honoured
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    If this is your first moba and that bot game was your first game then how or why do you know about support or guardians or roles? How do you hate the MM already? New players can't really blame the MM because that would require them to think the MM is the reason they are losing... they would blame characters that seem "broken" first because that is the first obvious thing that happens to them. Where is the loki rant my good sir? Where are the complaints about "aoe spam" or CC?

why is a new player checking smite guru? The tutorial didn't explain how to do that.

I love this stupid bot crusade though. Its cute, but they aren't going to make better bots because bots are even more boring to make than they are to play against.

New Member Cupidhead occmsrazr1's Avatar
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 386
    Ultimately the problem is just a small player base I think. Because the matchmaking is so hostile to new players, unless you're somebody with a reason to play the game (ie. you have friends playing it etc.) most "casual" video game players such as myself won't stick with it for long. As a result, the game is very top-heavy, as most of the existing player base has been playing for a long time and is very experienced. I'm having the exact same problem myself, after months of so-so play the game has suddenly decided I should only be playing against the very best players and I now lose 80-90% of my games and just feed the whole time, dragging down the entire experience for everyone. I'm not really sure what can be done about it.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 250 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizlenut View Post
    If this is your first moba and that bot game was your first game then how or why do you know about support or guardians or roles?
    He might have done a little research before playing the game. Also, the tutorial explain a bit about the classes and roles.

How do you hate the MM already? New players can't really blame the MM because that would require them to think the MM is the reason they are losing... they would blame characters that seem "broken" first because that is the first obvious thing that happens to them.
    He does provide evidence of him, level 11, playing with level 100+ players. The only players that should be in his game are the two level 16 on the other team.

why is a new player checking smite guru? The tutorial didn't explain how to do that.
    He mentioned that he plays paladins and paladins has a guru page. That's probably how he found out about the page in the first place.
    Gods: Chang'e, Nox, Ne Zha

If this is your first moba and that bot game was your first game then how or why do you know about support or guardians or roles? How do you hate the MM already? New players can't really blame the MM because that would require them to think the MM is the reason they are losing... they would blame characters that seem "broken" first because that is the first obvious thing that happens to them. Where is the loki rant my good sir? Where are the complaints about "aoe spam" or CC?

I love this stupid bot crusade though. Its cute, but they aren't going to make better bots because bots are even more boring to make than they are to play against.
    Like I said, I've played Paladins, plus a decent amount of hours put into the first DOTA/Vainglory. Plus, the tutorial gives a quick rundown about each roles and what they do. I also have followed a couple of MOBA's e-sports scene and have some basic knowledge of the game's mechanics. It doesn't take a 200IQ Rick and Morty fan to understand the roles and how the game works.

Matchmaking IS the problem. How am I expected to learn the game if I'm immediately thrown into a match against veterans? I won't have the opportunity to fully understand the game's core mechanics, nor do I have the chance to learn what each God does, their counters etc. That's like throwing a pre-schooler into a professional soccer match expecting him to be able to keep up and learn from them. No, they'll just get wrecked. Same issue with new players like me. A MOBA has a steep learning curve, and I'm expected to learn gradually until I have a decent grasp of the gameplay. But nope, matchmaking says fuck you and throws me into a match with older players.

Also, why would I complain about CC,AOE spam or Loki? Because I've been through similar in Paladins. Because I know I'll be able to fully comprehend and counter these issues once I've fully experienced the game and have decent grasp of it's mechanics.

I know smite.guru because of I played Paladins, who also has a guru website.

Well, some competent bots would be a suitable learning experience to play against and provides an environment where new players can get comfortable with the gameplay when the matchmaking isn't favoring them. I can't learn fuck all when bots are stupid and matchmaking throws me into unbalanced matches.
    Last edited by udara; 01-12-2018 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BleuPrince View Post
    Are you playing on the South East Asian server? From what I have been told, it has a low population, which explains the significantly higher level difference among players, and possibly longer queue time. The situation is not as bad on other higher population server, example North America, still far from ideal. The ping might be worst but you are less likely to be matched with and against significantly higher level players in every match. It still do happen occasionally and under certain circumstances (during off peak hours, if you queue time is too long, if there is party between a high level player and low level player, a smurf, etc...)

Alternatively, you could party with more experienced players/friends/clan members on South East Asian server who can help carry your team to victory; considering you are still new to Smite. No friends, start making friends. Try to identify any good players from either team and add them to your friends list to party together.

Yeah, SEA server. Unfortunately I guess you're right, Smite is a lot less popular here compared to DOTA/LoL. Even during peak hours I still get queued against high leveled players. I guess I'll just have to find a tutor and get wrecked for my first dozens of matches. *shrugs*