Thread: The moment between being a tank and becoming squishy again

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 926
    Achievements:
    Party Person Tagger Third Class 1 year registered Repped! Third Class 10000 Experience Points

The moment between being a tank and becoming squishy again

I play a lot of guardians and have played this game a lot. Way too much.

One thing that's I've noticed when tanking is that I go from feeling tanky mid game to dying within seconds late game; regardless of what I build.

I know, power spikes and pen come online but you damn near got to hit and run because there isn't much tanking late game because you die in seconds almost like any squishy. I feel like the defense should scale accordingly.
    HirezAmanda is ridiculous.

Banned Honoured
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 692
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    I agree, guardians need somethin g to make them more tanks, but there damage will have to go. Defense items shouldn't be buffed just for them though.

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 342
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Third Class
    in conq if your 4 levels behind you feel so squishy

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 926
    Achievements:
    Party Person Tagger Third Class 1 year registered Repped! Third Class 10000 Experience Points
    Im saying the same level. Say all level 20. Its like my armor doesn't matter much anymore. Might as well trade it in for all damage. Mid game- Fine. Late game, you last maybe a second or two longer. Damn near got to get aegis.
    HirezAmanda is ridiculous.

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 652
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class
    What I see a lot of tanks do is straight up run at you in a straight lines, forget juking forget anything, lots of people just take unnecessary damage when they're tanky because "they can". Maybe it's the case for you too?

Senior Member Prestigious LuxInterior's Avatar
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,398
    Achievements:
    Party Person Repped! First Class Reputation Distributor Tagger First Class! Repped! Second Class
    Listen to Skizo.

Lots of people measure a tank character success by how much damage they've mitigated. But it's much more complicated, things that don't show in numbers, like if they had the sense of when to attack, when to hold on skills for defense. If, say, your warrior ended up 2-12-5, mitigating 50k, and your guardian, 2-3-19, mitigating 30k, it doesn't mean the guardian was worse or a coward.

You're not supposed to take damage without a reason. If you're a guardian, whose threat comes from abilities, you shouldn't be at the middle of the enemy team for too long. A warrior, who can keep using basics and can heal (some of them at least), is another matter - they should aim for kills, to divert the enemy attention to them (and, of course, kill if they can). If you're a guardian, throw your stuff and prepare for the enemy reaction. If it fails, retreat.

No matter what you're playing, remember that tank items don't erase the need to pay attention to your health bar. Don't be like those silly Ares blink-ulting at 10% health.

By the way - yes. The longer the game goes, the least effective defense becomes. Generally, there's no point going much above 200 def. Instead get health, utility (Iso, antiheal), pen, cdr and, depending on the god you're playing, even power.
    Last edited by LuxInterior; 01-07-2018 at 08:37 AM.
    Learn Smite with tough love on my #SargeSeries
    Motörheads is recruiting! Sign up here

Banned Honoured
    Achievements:
    I like how people just predicted something OP was doing and road on it like he confirmed it, he is right. Tanks in general get squishy asf late game.

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 652
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Zellun View Post
    Tanks in general get squishy asf late game.
    I am not entirely sure what squishy means in your agenda, sure a qins/obow/titan/exe hunter will run you down real quick but you can still tank entire kits of assassins several times before falling down.

Banned Honoured
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by SkizoSkilz View Post
    I am not entirely sure what squishy means in your agenda, sure a qins/obow/titan/exe hunter will run you down real quick but you can still tank entire kits of assassins several times before falling down.
    I mean, guardians make up for it a little bit with there damage. But I still prefer tanks to actually sit in the cut for a while, doing just enough damage. Not get jumped by a hunter and assassin and in 2 seconds is running for his life.

Senior Member Honoured
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwilltap3 View Post
    Im saying the same level. Say all level 20. Its like my armor doesn't matter much anymore. Might as well trade it in for all damage. Mid game- Fine. Late game, you last maybe a second or two longer. Damn near got to get aegis.
    Why don't you get Aegis? Its the best tanking relic in the game. Invulnerability is always going to be high value/overpowered and nearly impossible to "counter balance" because 0 damage on command with no direct counter is always going to be powerful. Zero damage is the best amount of damage you could take and the best condition for use is if you are taking damage and the only counter to it is to cease dealing damage (the intended consequence of using the relic in the first place). It can't be countered (turned off) early, it can only be prevented or stalled with hard CC - the second most OP thing in any game that normally counters everything anyway, but still doesn't directly counter invulnerability.

It will do its job 100% of the time (preventing damage) upon activation, while active, without exception.

as for the moment when you get squishy as a tank, I think, is around the moment crit comes online with some pen/base damage behind it.

its also the moment most mages get their pen/burst online. Its burst from crit and burst from mages and someones going to die without an aegis