Thread: How to win in Arena without pubstomping.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead MrJDC77's Avatar
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 554
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points Tagger Third Class

Lightbulb How to win in Arena without pubstomping.

Many people may believe that Arena is purely about getting kills and stomping the enemy team. However, it is more than possible to win without the latter. Kills will still be needed though not as much as one may believe. Arena itself pits two teams of five against each other with 500 tickets at the start. Every small minion that enters the enemy portal or is killed takes away one ticket either from the enemy team in the case of the former or from its own team in the case of the latter. However, once a team only has 10 tickets remaining then only killing the entire wave will take away a ticket while minions that enter the portal will still take one ticket at a time. Killing a god reduces the enemy teams tickets by 5. 10 kills for either side spawns a large minion that will take away 15 tickets if it is able to reach the portal on the other side. With this killing 10 enemy gods and pushing the large minion into the portal will take away 65 tickets from the enemy team. If either team is able to do this 7 times then they will only need 9 more kills, 45 more minions entering the portal, 35 minions and 10 waves, or some combination of the three to win.

Ocean Princess Prestigious Lyralis's Avatar
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Conversation Starter 1 year registered Repped! Third Class 10000 Experience Points
    But honestly, who plays Arena to win?

Easiest way to win in Arena is to just clear minions safely while poking the enemy out so they may miss a few minions.

But I play Arena to fight and kill, not to win.
    What do I put here now?

Senior Member Prestigious Necromancer776's Avatar
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 620
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered Repped! Second Class 10000 Experience Points
    ^^^^^
    I almost always pick someone who’s just pure cancer like Ao Kuang or Loki when I play arena just because I can get kills really easily.

Banned Honoured
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 692
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer776 View Post
    ^^^^^
    I almost always pick someone who’s just pure cancer like Ao Kuang or Loki when I play arena just because I can get kills really easily.
    At least your honest.

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 638
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Happy new year!

FML game crashed at God select, 30min ban :/ lul

Creeps are as an essential concept in arena as in all other modes.

As the assassin mindset is good to have just kill.

Creep offer tickets yeah. Do I help the muppets fighting at sides or grab the free 7 tickets mid first? This is what the mage and especially the hunter thinks. I play a lot of warrior and sometimes I'm like from where I'm standing you are already dead and I might as well just stay and clear mid.

Why? Cause having creeps around suck as an adc and its also true for some mages. Some mages simply deal poor dmg through a creep wave, so don't expect their help if you are in front of enemy creeps.

If I'm assasin and really wanna win, I bait out shit by pushing sides, let my team do the heavy lifting and go in when it should be an ez kill (like 10sec after creeps are cleared). Unless you wanna pull someone really out of pos, sure go ahead, you can even push em into the creep wave and you can just clear it out all at once.

So as the mage your job is clear and with one spell later on so you have everything else up if needed. The warrior and guardian can also help clear with their clear spells. The quicker you get creeps down, the better. As adc if you can't kill towers fast or has an assassin that can, you have built wrong for arena. Your job is tanks and towers first, anything else after. I lost games cause I could kill their tank but not tower as adc. Unless you are in some weird game with 3 tanks and 2 def mages and need to jump in for kills.

As for fighting if you do not own the creep push and run in and try for kills it means that your ADC will have the creeps in front of him. So while you might take kills diving the creeps its not how you win big even fights. For the big fights creeps always have the last say. They block a spell or a few autos, they may even block some who is not observant on their pathing or they might grab you in the back as you try and juke around a pillar and block you in for like 0.2sec which is ofc enough in some cases to get blown up.

So creeps is everything in arena. Side buffs are also essential. If you can maintain pressure in both mid and at sides you have good chance to win arena.

Having 1 or even 2 good pushers in draft ain't a bad idea.

I saw a beautiful transcendence Odin the other day. Warrior, Trans, Shifters, Mantle, Jotuns, Titans. He nuked a lot of creeps but he also got a lot of kills.

You can also stack to win as creep is so important. If the other team don't stack you have huge advantage later. They are then pressured to play aggressive and counter build harder then you are.

I think a lot of mages can go warlocks first item in arena or thoth. If their team is just helpful enough they can have stacked up and shoes online then you go ham. Its really risky diving a hp mage at start but possible. I really like current arena meta.

Not getting towers in when you face a 3 tank comp is pretty demanding. I like that its a shitty comp in some ways but if you let it go ham it really drives you over. I also believe the "no tank" comp is possible, there are just some key combat modifiers (item wise and role wise) you need to check off the list. Like you can run a Au Kuang + Freya combo. Kuang can have shogun. Either can get spear or demonic to buff the others dmg. Tanks would just melt. Freya can even go void stone + witch blade and kuang full on dmg. Get a nemesis in the mix for the early game pene. For CC you can have cern, chronos, cupid. And a zhong or smth to still have the option to tank if really needed and get more zoning. Or a kali for even more anti tank while she also offers a pseudo tank, she can commit hard without dying if played right and rest can sit back more.
    Last edited by RockerBaby; 12-31-2017 at 07:53 PM.
    Rocking the boat

Member Follower
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    In arena you win if you can apply pressure. The standard team (hunter, assassin, 2 mages, guardian) is imo far from the best - it's way to squishy, burst focused and hence defensive. What's best is 3 bruiser warrior/guardians, and 2 adc's (i.e. a hunter, or magical hunter like freya). That's pretty well unbeatable. Nobody plays that however as most people want to play mage, or assassin and that comp doesn't have either.
    Last edited by DeathByDribbling; 01-04-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 523
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points Veteran
    killing minions in arena, all my matches in arena is jsut ignore em all with tower and attack players, this is not diablo for farm em xD

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 638
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathByDribbling View Post
    In arena you win if you can apply pressure. The standard team (hunter, assassin, 2 mages, guardian) is imo far from the best - it's way to squishy, burst focused and hence defensive. What's best is 3 bruiser warrior/guardians, and 2 adc's (i.e. a hunter, or magical hunter like freya). That's pretty well unbeatable. Nobody plays that however as most people want to play mage, or assassin and that comp doesn't have either.
    I totally agree that the "standard" comp is to squishy to be said to be the best, it will fall short vs some comps. And if you run a solo tank it should be one that is really tanky, Nike, Baccus, Herc who all have extra tank in their kit are good picks for solo tank. However I think the 3 tank comp only works cause most teams are not set up for anti tank as they should. 3 tank comp is a pretty safe comp though and will just pretty much auto win vs any kind of comp that isn't well thought out. A well rounded standard 2 tank, 3 dps (guard+warr+mage+assa+hunter) comp is best in my opinion but it needs to fulfill some important criteria in the overall kit to be really good (like having good anti tank ability). Generally you want one tank of each dmg type just for the auras to give your dps but you can get around this with picks that can efficiently use those auras in a hybrid build or picks that are very self reliant on getting good dmg output.
    Last edited by RockerBaby; 01-09-2018 at 08:29 AM.
    Rocking the boat

Ocean Princess Prestigious Lyralis's Avatar
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Conversation Starter 1 year registered Repped! Third Class 10000 Experience Points
    Winning in Arena is overrated :thonk:
    What do I put here now?

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead SaintDemonbane's Avatar
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Winning in Arena is how you get those sweet diamonds quickly.