With Ajax and PonPon

Our goals for Season 5 Conquest map are to improve gameplay and pacing through map symmetry and mitigating snowballing.

The Season 5 map will feature perfect vertical symmetry between Order and Chaos. Lanes and Jungle paths will have the exact same shape on top and bottom. This balances the map, and removes timing differences to each side. Overall, this creates a more consistent gameplay experience.

Snowballing is an issue we want to tackle in Season 5. Snowballing becomes a problem when players are completely unable to make a comeback. Currently, If I’m playing Scylla in the mid lane and the enemy Mage and Jungler kill me at level 1 I’m going to have little to no impact on the early game. In Season 5 I have more of a chance to come back from that.

Here are a few changes we are making to improve the pacing of the SMITE conquest experience:

• Update: The Season 5 map is 20% wider
  • Goal: This encourages players to make more strategic decisions about their positioning. When you rotate as a team, it is a big deal; there is more risk and reward to this decision.

• Update: Jungle Camps respawn faster, but are worth less XP & gold.
  • Goal: Junglers have more decisions to make. Skilled junglers can maximize their impact while early mistakes will not end the game.

• Update: The values for XP sharing, or splitting, have been decreased
  • Goal: Currently, if you are not grouping up and sharing XP, you are playing wrong. In Season 5, players can tactically choose when to group up or when to make a solo play.

• Update: Jungle and Lane Minions are worth more over time
  • Goal: We believe that the early game is too important. We wanted to slow that down without slowing down the game overall by ramping up the stakes overtime. This feature allows us to fine tune the pace of Conquest going forward.

When all of these changes come together in Season 5, there will be a much larger focus on the individual impact of each player. The changes to map size, camp pacing, and XP splitting create more scenarios where players need to split up. Grouping up early will no longer be the only option. Players will need to make more decisions about their position on the map. The changes will make the early game less punishing, while also allowing skilled players more opportunities to gain incremental advantage as the game progresses.

And the moment we’ve all been waiting for: the Season 5 map! Take a look and tell us what you think. We are looking forward to having a constructive discussion and hearing your feedback to evolve Season 5 together.

- MLC St3alth <3

Link to all blog posts.