Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is the best strategy to master/understand all gods and play Smite better

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 366
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points

Question What is the best strategy to master/understand all gods and play Smite better

Hello All,

TL; DR: Is it more worthwhile to master each god to level one through normal conquest or arena to gain more knowledge of the game and how to play?

So I've come back to Smite after a few years of a break and I want to master all the gods so that I understand their mechanics better and how to play them/counter/avoid.

So far, I've been only playing in Arena since I've been back, and my initial plan was to master all gods through playing arena.

Does this sound like a good plan? Or would it be better to do the same in conquest?

I know it'd be a grind and that I may waste a lot of time, but I also think a lot of good will come out of it. Knowledge of how each character interacts and how to play each role in team-fights. Which is what arena really is, in my opinion. I know I would learn a lot more in conquest, which is my goal, but does anybody think that Arena would net me similar results?

Regards,

Lucinati

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead BleuPrince's Avatar
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points
    The following is only my personal opinion:

1. There are currently 92 Gods in Smite. It will take some time to Master each god, and by the time you finished mastering all of them, chances are it's already the start of Season 5; which mean new meta, new builds, changes in skills/nerfs/buffs, new tier list etc...

2. You are currently level 25, I guess if you are trying out new gods and commit an occasional mistake here and there, people ought to be more forgiving compared to a higher level player. Let's assume you reached lvl 60 after mastering all the gods while playing Arena only, and you queue for Conquest for the very first time, people will expect you to play like a level 60 and not a newbie and they will be much less forgiving.

3. There is not much similarity between Arena and Conquest. Assume you spent hundred of hours in Arena to master all 92 Gods, that does not necessary mean you are going to be any good at Conquest. The objectives in Conquest are different, there are specific roles: jungler, ADC, solo, mid and support. Sure it helps if you know more about your enemy gods, but that is quite minor. Most conquest at low level fails not because they don't have knowledge of the enemy gods, but because they failed to work together as a team effectively. Communication with your team. Calling out Enemy missing with VGS. Rotating. Ganking. Clearing buff camps. Placing wards. Grouping up to kill Gold Fury and Fire Giant. Split pushing. Knowing when to push a lane and when to retreat. A general map awareness. How to counter build. Starter items are important for Conquest mode. And how to play your God of choice, preferably be good at it. If any one of your team mates is dying a lot and feeding the enemy team, the problem will snowball and making it much harder for your team to win (snowball effect is something Season 5 is trying to address)

4. You should not see all 92 Gods in Conquest, some Gods are more popular than the rest. But there are newbies who defy convention and do the craziest things. For example: Loki is not very popular in Conquest (but you do see Loki often in Arena). Aphrodite is also not very popular in Conquest. So, who can you expect to see often in Conquest, 5 Free Starter Gods (Ymir, Neith, Thor ,...), 5 Gods on Rotation (Depends), Favor of the month /New Gods/ New Skins to Show off (Discordia, Hachiman, Ullr, Da Ji ...) and a bunch of other favorites.

My suggestion is form a party of 3 with at least one experienced conquest player who can help give guidance - Coach. Pick a conquest role and specialize, then pick a second role (just incase someone else calls it first) Practice Conquest together, learn to play as a team. Form strategies/combo. Maybe use Curse/Skype/Discord (Voice Chats) for better coordination. Watch twitch/youtube of other Ranked/Pro conquest players. Let's assume you pick a Hunter (ADC) for duo lane. You will normally be facing another pair of Guardian and Hunter as your main opponents, with the occasional Assassin (Jungler). In other words, you don't technically need to know all 92 Gods.
    Last edited by BleuPrince; 12-24-2017 at 08:28 AM.

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 508
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by BleuPrince View Post

1. There are currently 92 Gods in Smite. It will take some time to Master each god, and by the time you finished mastering all of them, chances are it's already the start of Season 5; which mean new meta, new builds, changes in skills/nerfs/buffs, new tier list etc...

2. You are currently level 25, I guess if you are trying out new gods and commit an occasional mistake here and there, people ought to be more forgiving compared to a higher level player. Let's assume you reached lvl 60 after mastering all the gods while playing Arena only, and you queue for Conquest for the very first time, people will expect you to play like a level 60 and not a newbie and they will be much less forgiving.

3. There is not much similarity between Arena and Conquest. Assume you spent hundred of hours in Arena to master all 92 Gods, that does not necessary mean you are going to be any good at Conquest. The objectives in Conquest are different, there are specific roles: jungler, ADC, solo, mid and support. Sure it helps if you know more about your enemy gods, but that is quite minor. Most conquest at low level fails not because they don't have knowledge of the enemy gods, but because they failed to work together as a team effectively. Communication with your team. Calling out Enemy missing with VGS. Rotating. Ganking. Clearing buff camps. Placing wards. Grouping up to kill Gold Fury and Fire Giant. Split pushing. Knowing when to push a lane and when to retreat. A general map awareness. How to counter build. Starter items are important for Conquest mode. And how to play your God of choice, preferably be good at it. If any one of your team mates is dying a lot and feeding the enemy team, the problem will snowball and making it much harder for your team to win (snowball effect is something Season 5 is trying to address)

4. You should not see all 92 Gods in Conquest, some Gods are more popular than the rest. But there are newbies who defy convention and do the craziest things. For example: Loki is not very popular in Conquest (but you do see Loki often in Arena). Aphrodite is also not very popular in Conquest. So, who can you expect to see often in Conquest, 5 Free Starter Gods (Ymir, Neith, Thor ,...), 5 Gods on Rotation (Depends), Favor of the month /New Gods/ New Skins to Show off (Discordia, Hachiman, Ullr, Da Ji ...) and a bunch of other favorites.

My suggestion is form a party of 3 with at least one experienced conquest player who can help give guidance - Coach. Pick a conquest role and specialize, then pick a second role (just incase someone else calls it first) Practice Conquest together, learn to play as a team. Form strategies/combo. Maybe use Curse/Skype/Discord (Voice Chats) for better coordination. Watch twitch/youtube of other Ranked/Pro conquest players. Let's assume you pick a Hunter (ADC) for duo lane. You will normally be facing another pair of Guardian and Hunter as your main opponents, with the occasional Assassin (Jungler). In other words, you don't technically need to know all 92 Gods.
    this guy is on point with what he says

ill add in what i feel since i was level 129 and still had never played all gods

find a team of guys that have mastered all the gods, play well and you can learn from, my goal wasnt to learn every god in game as i like support too much. Before i even mastered every god in game i had 6 diamond supports and one 8k athena. learning every god in game is hard so having a place to discuss gods like a twitch channel or being in a chat with people who know each god can help you greatly. i have 2 sources for info being wowys chat if hes on and a group of guys i play with. i mastered every god yesterday at level 129 or atleast got them to level 1 mastery but wasnt without asking for build and god advice. just my 2 cents but gl
    Last edited by commandoo; 12-24-2017 at 09:36 AM.
    I like turtles

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 366
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by BleuPrince View Post

Wow, thanks for the in-depth response, I really appreciate it. wYou say to pick and role and master it and one otherm what is your opinion on finding which role you like the best though?

Part of the reason I liked the idea of playing all, even if I play them all in conquest, is that you then learn to understand and play all roles. Then after, I could pick what works the best gor me. I see where you're coming from in terms of efficiency playing with knowledgeble people and I'm actively trying to find a group of people to play with.

What are your thought?

Thanks,

Lucinati

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead BleuPrince's Avatar
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucinati View Post
    Wow, thanks for the in-depth response, I really appreciate it. You say to pick and role and master it and one otherm what is your opinion on finding which role you like the best though?
    I would say stay away from picking Jungler atm (it can be overwhelming for a beginner), try duo lane (ADC or Support) as there will be someone close to you at the start of the match to help guide you. Considering that you played 57 matches as a Guardian with an above average win rate of 58% for Sylvanus (31 matches) and 73% Geb (11 matches), what do you think about starting with Guardian in Conquest; a class which you are already familiar with?
    Last edited by BleuPrince; 12-26-2017 at 04:41 AM.

New Member Cupidhead twentyPho7's Avatar
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 366
    I've found focusing on a few gods and mastering them might be better than trying to play all the gods. You're not truly learning anything by just god-hopping (which was something I did the first time around). Just my opinion.

Senior Member Honoured Wildstreak's Avatar
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Tagger Second Class 1 year registered
    As someone who has only played Smite for half a year with 26 Gods owned, I still feel safe to say:

1 - Arena and Conquest are different, some gods are good in one but not the other.

2 - Arena will let you get used to how a god works though it also helps to look for videos of people explaining how to use a gods abilities and give general build advice, not always specific items but stats to look for like Pen, Crit, etc.

3 - I do not play Conquest much unless I have a quest right now, what little time I spent in it I do not do well.

4 - I am about to get my last owned god to Mastery 1. After that and possibly 2 god purchases, I plan to focus on Mastering to X 1 god for each role so if I try more Conquest in the future, I can pick one to fit the team comp filling out a needed role that is considered decent (about A rank or up) in Conquest.

I think that is a solid plan. It would be nice to know every god but realistically I figure that must take a long time, best to slowly work up to that.

You can also throw in some Clash matches to get used to 5 person teams on a laned map and more teamfighting, other modes below that if you feel like it.

Senior Member Prestigious Necromancer776's Avatar
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 620
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! 1 year registered Repped! Second Class 10000 Experience Points
    I have been summoned.

Senior Member Honoured Wildstreak's Avatar
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points Tagger Second Class 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by twentyPho7 View Post
    I've found focusing on a few gods and mastering them might be better than trying to play all the gods. You're not truly learning anything by just god-hopping (which was something I did the first time around). Just my opinion.
    I agree with this, having gotten 26 Gods in half a year, I am actually putting off new purchases tempting though it is and having skins for gods I do not own. Instead I am working with the 26 I got.

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 635
    Achievements:
    Play joust. Try different gods. Play and read up on abilities/gods youve seen or think are interesting during Q.

The biggest factor imo is experience, time just playing the game. I think joust is better than anything because your not getting hit by 5 ppl (arena clash) and you r able to see your allies/enemies (unlike 3 lane). Plus joust is my favorite mode.