Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why Hi-Rez doesn't discourage Smurfing?

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead BleuPrince's Avatar
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points 3 months registered

Why Hi-Rez doesn't discourage Smurfing?

As a new player to SMITE and MOBA,

1. I don't quite understand why Hi Rez doesn't discourage Smurfing? specifically in Normal matches?
    2. Can it even be done, if they wanted to?
    3. Does the benefits of having smurfs outweighs of not having smurfs?

https://www.smitegame.com/news/matchmaking-faq

How does player level affect the matchmaking system?
    Player level is considered in all casual queues. The system heavily favors pairing players within similar level groups, but sometimes it will grab players from other level ranges if a good match cannot be found within an allotted amount of time. Since the system heavily favors pairing similar MMR and similar level, finding matches during low populations times can be difficult, and as such the restrictions are lowered if players have to wait in queue for an extended time.
    The solution seems simple enough. All smurfs have one thing in common; significantly higher than average performance (elo plus, MMR, win ratios, kill counts,...) for a player of that level. So naturally, to discourage Smurfing, one simply need to exclude player level when matchmaking in casual/normal queues. Maybe it might take a few matches for the MMR system to figure out how good/bad this player is and match him/her accordingly. A smurf will naturally outperforms his/her peers and very quickly be identified by the system, and will be matched against other players of similar performance level and not based on player level.

1. I don't think there will be many players creating smurf accounts if after every few matches, they end up fighting players they would have been fighting anyways on their main account. They might be a few very determined individuals, but seems a lot of work.

2. The benefits of having a high level account vs a lower level account isn't obvious or appealing enough. If Hi Rez could encourage players to aim to reach max player level; then would most players rather level their main account?

3. Back to matchmaking, if player level was not taken into consideration. High level players will not need to create alt accounts to test new Gods/ classes. For example: a lvl 100 player might be very good as a Guardian; but he sucks as a Jungler and he is trying to improve and explore Jungling classes. If MMR matches him against other high lvl players, assuming his Jungling skills are equally as good as his Tanking abilities, then he/she might consider creating an alt account? If Hi Rez can find a way not to penalize players for trying new Gods on their main account and creating higher quality matches (fairer, more balanced) then there is less reason to create an alt account.

4. I know this might be a technical challenge, but if players can access the same account from all the supported platform PS4, Xbox and PC. Then there wont be that many console players creating new accounts on PC to test new Gods/patches or transfering from Console to PC. I understand PC players has advantages over Console players, as long as players have the option to make a choice; if they only want to be matched against other console players only or both pc and console players. As stated, I suspect this challenge is more technical.
    Last edited by BleuPrince; 12-11-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Senior Member Honoured
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    it already matches people based on their performance rather than weighted specifically on their level, so it already detects smurfs. Nobody needs to make a new account to try new things out because casual mode exists (as in... not ranked). If it was really about "Testing" then you would want the test to be conducted against your normal type of opponents, not unrealistically weaker ones.

the only "legitimate" reason to smurf is to play with a new player, but at that point you'll probably just end up carrying them out of noob land rather than really helping them very much.

#4 on your list is up to the people that control your consoles, not hi-rez exactly. As in... you bought a console, its Microsofts playground, its Microsofts rules, its Microsofts account/profile system that the xbox uses. Your smite profile is attached to that Microsoft profile and Microsoft said you can't leave because you are worth money while they keep you locked in. The only way Microsoft will allow cross console is if the game uses (exclusively) the windows 10 store - which is hooked up to their profile system that the xbox uses as well. This is not a popular option because nobody wants to release their third party game exclusively on windows 10 store (and, of course, xbox). Cross-console/cross-account is dead in the water because of that reason and that reason alone. It also goes without saying that Sony/Microsoft wont play ball with each other either because they peddle the same garbage and it doesn't "advantage" them to improve the situation of the other console in any way.

Don't like it? Don't buy closed gardens (consoles) if you don't want to live in a private little ecosystem where your gatekeeper controls everything you can do. There is no technical limitation for cross console or cross-accounts beyond intentional software/license limitations imposed by console makers. Hirez has to play by their rules if they want to sell on their console.

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizlenut View Post
    it already matches people based on their performance rather than weighted specifically on their level, so it already detects smurfs.
    https://www.smitegame.com/news/matchmaking-faq

That is not what's published on their FAQ. Specifically regarding Normal/Casuals, it says and I quote "Player level is considered in all casual queues. The system heavily favors pairing players within similar level groups", the level in question specifically refers to Player Level. The words used were "heavily favors". In a nutshell, player level is the most important criteria the MMR systems considers in matchmaking for Normal/Casual matches. The MMR system will not be able to effectively detects smurfs if player level is being taken into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizlenut View Post
    Nobody needs to make a new account to try new things out because casual mode exists (as in... not ranked). If it was really about "Testing" then you would want the test to be conducted against your normal type of opponents, not unrealistically weaker ones.
    I suspect that is what the original game designers had in mind, when developing SMITE. That the only matches that really mattered are Ranked and/or eSports tournaments; everything else pale in comparison. However, the reality is further from the truth. In Season 4, there are approximately 36,000 Ranked Conquest PC players compared to 880,000 Combined Casual PC players, i.e, only approximately 4% of the SMITE community played Ranked Conquest PC in Season 4, the vast majority of the SMITE community are Casual players.

This is the greatest irony in SMITE. If Casual/Normal matches does not matter solely because of its unranked status, why do players make such a big fuzz about it. If it truly doesn't matter, then players would not be making these comments in Casual/Normal matches
    - Pls go uninstall the game.
    - Pls go play Co-op vs AI
    - Why did you instantlock?
    - Why did everyone pick a Physical attack class? Where are the mages?
    - Your team only won because you got carried by a smurf!
    - etc...

If Normal/Casual/Unranked really did not matter, then it shouldn't matter if one win or lose in unranked matches. But the reality is, it must have mattered to some players especially the vast majority whom don't participate in Ranked Conquest matches. Smurfing is a real.
    Last edited by BleuPrince; 12-13-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Derajalen's Avatar
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points
    number one what is a "smurf" besides the little blue guys I watched as a kid in the 80's and what is smurfing,

Let's try to not use esoteric terms.

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,317
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 1 year registered 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Derajalen View Post
    number one what is a "smurf" besides the little blue guys I watched as a kid in the 80's and what is smurfing,

Let's try to not use esoteric terms.
    Smurfing is actually a pretty well-known term for using an alternate account to play with newer players.
    NOW, I AM BECOME KHEPRI, DESTROYER OF THOTS

Muh Concepts

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Derajalen's Avatar
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKeksalot View Post
    Smurfing is actually a pretty well-known term for using an alternate account to play with newer players.
    Thank you, sorry I only know of the term years ago in WoW meaning a person was a F'n re-re

A Tragic Product of Swedish Advertising Demigod SirKeksalot's Avatar
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,317
    Achievements:
    Tagger Third Class Reputation Distributor 1 year registered 25000 Experience Points Repped! First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Derajalen View Post
    Thank you, sorry I only know of the term years ago in WoW meaning a person was a F'n re-re
    Can't blame you for thinking a term used by one fanbase means something else in another game's context. "Gank" is used pretty differently by For Honor players than MOBA players.
    NOW, I AM BECOME KHEPRI, DESTROYER OF THOTS

Muh Concepts

Senior Member Chosen BakaCircle9's Avatar
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 394
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 5000 Experience Points
    i have several questions for you:

1)simple question: how you gonna prove, that certain player is a smurf, not just a realy good/lucky player?

2)and what ppl should do if their first account is banned or they droped Smite before and now, when they returned, can't/don't want to restore their old login or password? or may be some player just wanna start everything from the beginning with new account?

3)did you think, that balance in this game is one big joke, especially after every new god release/season starting patch? and what if some guy just play OP gods every game and have good kda because of that?

4)why you only aware about smurfs, if they do good? what kind of double standards it is?

5)and why exactly Smite should not allow ppl create several accounts? other online games have no such limits, why we need it in Smite?
    TOP 3 most stupid things i've ever see in this forum:
    she can do 1000 dmg at level 3 by just her 2-and passive
    her 3 should be more like medusa moving backwards movement penalty reduced only by 50%
    Her ult now is her 2 but with lower damage but same cooldown!
    my YouTube channel

Achievements:
    1. All smurfs are really good players (i.e. performing better than an average player for their level, more specifically against other lower/ newer/ less experienced players).

2. There is nothing stopping players from creating new accounts. The current Matchmaking Ratings (MMR) fails to effectively identify "really good players", who are performing better than an average new player at low levels (i.e. Smurfs) because matchmaking in Normal/Casual queues is determined primarily by the player level and not by the player skill demonstrated. A better MMR system should be able to quickly and effectively identify any smurfs and match them not against genuine new/lower level players, but against other smurfs and really good players.

3. A really good player even those playing OP Gods, should be matched against other really good players.

4. On the contrary, we are aiming for a fairer and more equitable match (i.e. higher quality matches) It isn't fair when an experienced player is match up against a genuinely new/ lower level player.

5. see point 2.
    Last edited by BleuPrince; 12-14-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Senior Member Honoured LittlePebble02's Avatar
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Second Class 1 year registered
    Then give some way to stop this so called promotion of Smurfs.