Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to learn Conquest?

New Member Cupidhead Jay-sweets's Avatar
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Achievements:
    3 months registered 500 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Altissimus View Post
    I've been playing Smite for a while, but never played much conquest.

I've read a few guides and practiced against bots, but these do little to prepare you for the real thing - the guides can't account for the fluidity, and the bots are (as we all know) a joke.

So when I step into a conquest match, I can absolutely, 100%, definitely guarantee that the vitriol and abuse will start flowing my way within about 3 minutes.

Apparently, playing conquest is the Holy Grail of all smite accomplishments, and should someone join your match who isn't up to your perceived standards then Doom On Them (especially if they play jungle - god help them if they play jungle...if they play jungle they absolutely must be in nine places at once ALL THE TIME or they are noobs, irrespective of what they're actually doing, how they've performed so far, and whether or not their chosen jungler is an early, mid, or late peaker).

So. You can't really learn from guides and bots. You just get shouted at whenever you join a match.

...any ideas?
    Best thing you can do with randoms is to focus on your role and don't listen to them just because they are screaming for help. As a jungler myself, I know they think you should be everywhere at once while 1v5 the enemy team to stop them for taking fire giant but don't be afraid to ignore. If loki solo against Wukong is constantly screaming for help, that is his issue and you shouldn't focus his lane to lose the jungle and putting pressure on other lanes.

I learned to play jungle from trial and error and what works best. Either way people will hate you when they do badly but that's just the rules of the best. If more people took credit for playing badly, they might learn to get better but you can't fix what you can't see.

Senior Member Honoured breakmyfutoffinu's Avatar
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-sweets View Post
    Best thing you can do with randoms is to focus on your role and don't listen to them just because they are screaming for help. As a jungler myself, I know they think you should be everywhere at once while 1v5 the enemy team to stop them for taking fire giant but don't be afraid to ignore. If loki solo against Wukong is constantly screaming for help, that is his issue and you shouldn't focus his lane to lose the jungle and putting pressure on other lanes.

I learned to play jungle from trial and error and what works best. Either way people will hate you when they do badly but that's just the rules of the best. If more people took credit for playing badly, they might learn to get better but you can't fix what you can't see.
    omg this ^^ yes!! jung is the scape goat. I play it alot and knowing when to gank and where is an art all its own.

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Achievements:
    1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    I usually play casual conquest (solo queue) and these are some of the most made mistakes by my teammates that I am seeing:

1) Ignoring farm in favor engaging the enemy. For example: our solo and jungle are hugging the enemy tower line to try and kill the enemy solo. Instead they should retreat from the tower line (youre not gonna kill a solo laner if you push him under his tower) and at least get our own buffs. Secure your farm and buffs first and then go look for kills.

2) Chasing too far. Its fun to get a kill but at some point you are going to have to admit this guy is going to get away so we better let him walk. Its no use to chase him all the way through their jungle. Even if you get the kill, the other enemy players are probably coming to you so you're gonna get counterganked. Take the (small) win that you have forced an enemy back to base and use that time to do something useful: push a wave in tower, get a jungle camp

3) Not retreating after a winning teamfight. Say you win a teamfight and you manage to get an objective out of that, then you need to back off and get back to base. By that time the enemy have started respawning and your team is at half health from taking the objective. Consolidate your win instead of offering a teamfight when you are low.

4) Not committing to the retreat: everyone knows that you need to get out of a bad spot but instead of running away and not looking back, your teammates are constantly reengaging allowing the enemy to catch up. Even if one of your teammates is about to die, just let him die. Better to have a 4v5 when you are at full health around a defendable objective than to allow a fight in a jungle when your team is low and risk being whiped.

5) Not committing to a defence: at some point you are so far behind that you cannot reasonably win a teamfight without the support of your phoenix. The only chance of winning if succesfully defending your phoenix, maybe wiping them and use that momentum to win. This could mean that you have to let some objectives go: let them have fg and gf because fighting into that will most likely cause another wipe for your team. Unfortunatly, waiting at the phoenix for the enemy to start their siege is not something casuals are good at. In almost all cases they will go into the jungle for whatever reason, bump into the entire enemy team and get killed then other people try to help the guy who is already dead and run into the enemy team one by one. Result: the enemy get the phoenix for free.