Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: low damage as athena

Senior Member Chosen RockerBaby's Avatar
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1 year registered Full Profile! 5000 Experience Points
    Athena is one of the few guards i build just tank and cdr. She doesn't need anything else. You can build her with dmg, void, etheral even polynomicon but i personally feel its for games when team is to tarded to blow up ppl when u taunt.

Member Follower
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class 1 year registered 1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlasfailed View Post
    I think I know Athenas basic combos: pull em in with your 2 onto the damage of your 3 and throw a ranged attack at them. I did have the feeling that I was usually succesfull in that combo. But what else can I do? Should I worry about low damage or is it normal.
    If you pull em first then they tend to get out of your 3 before the second higher damage tick. If you personally want to do more damage then you charge them with the 1 to slow, then do the 3 when your on top of them (so first damage tick hits) then do the 2 to pull them back in for the second higher 3 damage tick.

However charging first means they don't get pulled towards your team as much so it's harder for team mates to do damage and you loose your escape so it's a bit less safe.

Ocean Princess Prestigious Lyralis's Avatar
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,109
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Second Class 5000 Experience Points Conversation Starter 1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildstreak View Post
    I do not really see Supports needing to do damage or get kills though it was fun for a while to do that with Ares.

A good example is look at Ganesha, his Passive shows what being a Support is all about.
    Ganesha can also 100-0 a squishy by himself so he's not a good example. Better example is Khepri who when full damage still can't really threaten squishies.

Quote Originally Posted by Draemich View Post
    as athena i would suggest cdr boots to have taunt up more often. if your looking to do more damage celestial legion helm and/or void stone. getting pure offensive items gonna hurt your ability to frontline more then the damage is worth usually.
    CDR boots are heavily overrated.

Pen Boot - Void Stone - Breastplate - Flex Item (preferably with either more pen, prot or hp), Discord, Flex Item (preferably with either more pen, prot, or hp) - Power Pot.

Gets you true damage or near true damage on squishies and 40% CDR while still being tanky.
    How Much I Love Scylla: 9,789
    Level: 117/160
    IGN: Eirá

"For people like us, a life without music is death." - Kaori Miyazono

Achievements:
    The most important items on athena is void, shogun, sover unless you have a secondary tank. Just buff the teams dmg and your set. Who cares if you are 10k when your carries are 40-50k.

I think I know Athenas basic combos: pull em in with your 2 onto the damage of your 3 and throw a ranged attack at them.
    Always use the taunt first then move back and 3. Setting up your own 3 is stupid. You should have a team follow up on the taunt with stuns and similar that is how you confirm the 3s 2nd hit. You build full tank cause just go in with 1 and taunt, pull em back into team. You have ult for escape if needed. You can initiate with ult as well then its good to save the 1 most times for the escape this probably work better as tactic for a dmg athena, needs some nice coms though.
    Last edited by RockerBaby; 11-30-2017 at 02:21 PM.
    Rocking the boat

Senior Member Honoured breakmyfutoffinu's Avatar
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points 1 year registered Repped! Third Class
    meh cdr boots are over rated, and pen boots are only after I get full build, until then I'm getting extra gold. n2m there are so many cdr items anymore, hell I can't remember the last time I got BPoV. btw gengi's, shoguns, spirit, mantle, mail of renewal, relic dagger, witchblade. I've always got close enuff to max cdr.

athena's taunt makes her the target of entire team fights she needs more tank then others imo. and I cringe when I see tanks who build all prot and no HP. gotta be looking at enemy comp and builds, hell even your team... 2 shoguns is a fail. with crit being viable I've even gone to the 5k hp build a few times gotta be careful tho of those pesky hunters who adjust their build.

Senior Member Chosen ShinigamiXzero's Avatar
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 245
    Achievements:
    Repped! Third Class Full Profile! 1000 Experience Points 1 year registered
    In the example you gave you were comparing Athena against Cabraken who is more of a damage guardian. He even almost went a fat loki build so his damage was definitely going to be higher. Some guardians can go nearly full defense and still do a lot of damage. Athena though if you want higher damage number you will have to invest in a few more damage items or atleast more hybrid items.

Junior Member Senior Cupidhead Wildstreak's Avatar
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 426
    Achievements:
    31 days registered Repped! Third Class 250 Experience Points
    Part of the problem may be other players not knowing how to play with an Athena.

I did a Joust match earlier, since I had a quest for using Greek in 3 matches, I did Athena once since I have not used her in a bit. My 2 squisher allies kept going out in front of me making it hard to tank for them and I couldn't say anything about it because they kept sniping each other in chat, I didn't want to add to that.

It was as if they had no clue what to do from my viewpoint, let me tank and target people when the time is right.

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 643
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points Repped! Third Class 1 year registered
    In a good game that is wall to wall fighting you will die so fast with building dmg.. Dmg supports will get focused and bursted down.
    I was chatting to a guy I met online yesterday through smite, we had mics and we was joking about a few games back when we came across this dmg building warrior on the enemy team and how building dmg items on tanks means they focus you and die, the warrior in that game wasn't really a threat because we would burst him down and kill him so fast it wasn't funny because most of his kit was dmg items.

In order to front line you need to have items that are defence items.. You also as Athena need to protect your backline ( her peel is amazing ) .. she can deal good base dmg as she levels up.. She deals amazing dmg to camps also. The only time I've gone dmg items is when I'm winning

If you didnt know, her spear throw does good dmg and she can throw multi spears like this

Dash in, throw spear, taunt throw spear, dmg, throw spear, whatever but something like that

I have Athena at 8k+ worshippers and most of my diamonds are guards.. To keep up to date watch twitch, look for support streamers and watch them. They will show you that not all support players are are brain dead players who picked support because it's " easy " as I've been told in the past

Hope this helped.

To add to this the dmg combo is dash in, 3 then taunt but if you have a good team just rush in and taunt. Because if you 3 then most will have seen it and cc you or interrupted you to stop you taunting, plus many " newb" Athena's do it, but good players will get out or run away . My best advice I got was from Jeff the sex. He said to always look to try and taunt 2 people or more in team fights and I do if I can
    Last edited by commandoo; 12-07-2017 at 01:56 AM.
    I like turtles

Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by commandoo View Post

To add to this the dmg combo is dash in, 3 then taunt but if you have a good team just rush in and taunt. Because if you 3 then most will have seen it and cc you or interrupted you to stop you taunting, plus many " newb" Athena's do it, but good players will get out or run away . My best advice I got was from Jeff the sex. He said to always look to try and taunt 2 people or more in team fights and I do if I can
    Yeah I see so many athenas miss their taunt cause they get greedy with using the 3 before the taunt. Taunt as fast as you possibly can and then drag them back towards your team as far as you can. Her range on 1 means your team will need to run a bit to get in range to follow up, your main focus should be to pull them as far back as you can (it also groups the enemy up more). Putting the 3 down first and then taunting gives them time to split up, escape, hit aegis. And dragging them just into your 3 and not as much as you can lowers the probability your team mates will successfully follow up. Sure there might be a few cases where dropping the 3 first can work (you know their escape is gone, you know team is close and you have plenty of time to setup) but in general just toss the taunt out asap. I said it before, you said it but I will just reply and quote and say it again cause its really what a lot of athenas are doing wrong.
    Rocking the boat

Junior Member Cupidhead SinMaster5's Avatar
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    Full Profile! Repped! Third Class 31 days registered 250 Experience Points
    What is happening here? I've seen a lot of horrible builds, Solo builds and everything but not support builds.
    How hard can it be to 1-3-2-3 with her kit? her taunt duration is going to be more than enough for your allies to reach the enemy.
    As RockerBaby said, don't get too greedy to force the double tick on the 3rd ability, you're an support, just taunt if you see the double tick is impossible.
    As for builds, long time no played support but for real, there was absolutely no support build.
    Athena deals a GREAT damage even with 0 damage items.
    All you need is Shoes of the Magi.
    Cdr? Damage? i'm sorry what? Please don't ever try to post something like that. You won't need cdr. You won't use your ability 48times in a row.
    Last edited by SinMaster5; 12-07-2017 at 10:41 AM.
    Rawr